Looking for used upgrades

Rons87GN

Hello everyone. After searching for years and years, I've finally bought my high school dream machine. A 1987 GN. Its 99% stock. Only upgrades are a K&N cold air intake (on the car when purchased), and a GN1 Performance 3" all aluminum radiator (my 1st upgrade). My plans are to make a reliable street machine that runs well in the 11's. I would like to add 60lb injectors with tune, LS1 MAF with translator, FMIC, and a slightly bigger turbo. I want to be able to just run 93-94 pump gas. Not trying to go with any higher octane (race gas etc), or meth injection and worry about finding E85 or anything. So if anyone has any used but still usable stuff, i'am interested. Thanks in advance for looking.

i have just about anything you need. I have the translator and maf. I have a used SMC alky kit.and I also have a very low milage turbo. let me know if you are interested.

No offense, but someone new to these cars and wanting to run deep in the 11's on pump gas only will be a feat.. Start with you essentials.. new fuel pump/HW, adj. Reg. and scan tool.. Then at least reconsider an alky kit...

You will not hit 11s on 93 octane with a stock engine. High 12s, low 13s unless you do heads and cam. And a bigger turbo on pump gas with a stock engine will do nothing but add lag.

You will not hit 11s on 93 octane with a stock engine. High 12s, low 13s unless you do heads and cam. And a bigger turbo on pump gas with a stock engine will do nothing but add lag.
Agreed... You would need excellent flow and keep the heat down to accomplish on pump gas alone..

Hello everyone. After searching for years and years, I've finally bought my high school dream machine. A 1987 GN. Its 99% stock. Only upgrades are a K&N cold air intake (on the car when purchased), and a GN1 Performance 3" all aluminum radiator (my 1st upgrade). My plans are to make a reliable street machine that runs well in the 11's. I would like to add 60lb injectors with tune, LS1 MAF with translator, FMIC, and a slightly bigger turbo. I want to be able to just run 93-94 pump gas. Not trying to go with any higher octane (race gas etc), or meth injection and worry about finding E85 or anything. So if anyone has any used but still usable stuff, i'am interested. Thanks in advance for looking.

First making a GN run FAST on 93 octane is very difficult .. not to say it can't be done .. but it takes someone that really really knows these cars well and has the ability to pull every trick out of the bag to do it ...

However .. if you consider going to E85 .. you can easily run into the 11's with just a few parts and still remain very very reliable .
Not to mention it Is the single most power producing mod you can do with the exception of Nitrous... no other mod for $500 bucks can make that kind of power .. PERIOD

IT also extends the safety factor immensely ..

I highly suggest at least considering this option before you do anything to your car.

IF not then consider a ALKY CONTROL kit and run 93 octane .. then you can achieve your goal .. otherwise .. not so much

Thanks to all with your replies. I greatly appreciated the comments and knowledge. I realize nothing comes easy, and i'am willing to go with some different setups. I wouldn't be against E85 by any means, just as long as I can switch from E85 to 93 on the fly. For example, if I'am on a long drive to the ocean city cruising weekend and i'am setup for E85, and I need to fill up while in an unfamiliar area. I want to be able to just fill up on 93.

Last edited:
My 1st priority is keeping the engine from blowing up, so I will definitely not push the limits just for the purpose of running a low et. I will probably go with the alky control to meet my goals for sure, as iam very familiar with how the alky setup works. I currently have that on my procharged Tran Am.

Thanks to all with your replies. I greatly appreciated the comments and knowledge. I realize nothing comes easy, and i'am willing to go with some different setups. I wouldn't be against E85 by any means, just as long as I can switch from E85 to 93 on the fly. For example, if I'am on a long drive to the ocean city cruising weekend and i'am setup for E85, and I need to fill up while in an unfamiliar area. I want to be able to just fill up on 93.

Once you go E85 .. you never go back .. I can't even imagine having to run 93 octane now .. that would be a total BUZZ KILL

Wish it was around in 87 :)

LOL. Good point. I guess if I never get a hold of the E85 bug, I wont know what I'am missing. Its also not that I'am dead set against the E85, I just don't want the inconvenience of being out of E85 on the road somewhere. I like to take long road trips and I don't know where to many gas stations with E85. That's why if I have the option of being able to switch on the fly (like the newer flex fuel vehicles can do) from E85 to 93, I would ABSOLUTELY go with E85. Other wise, I will just go with the alky kit to keep it safe when just cruising around.

LOL. Good point. I guess if I never get a hold of the E85 bug, I wont know what I'am missing. Its also not that I'am dead set against the E85, I just don't want the inconvenience of being out of E85 on the road somewhere. I like to take long road trips and I don't know where to many gas stations with E85. That's why if I have the option of being able to switch on the fly (like the newer flex fuel vehicles can do) from E85 to 93, I would ABSOLUTELY go with E85. Other wise, I will just go with the alky kit to keep it safe when just cruising around.

I take 800 mile road trips with my GN pretty often .. a bit of planning is needed but its pretty easy with all the online help ...
IF you have to put 93 in.. its not like it won't run it will ., simple chip change and your good ( chip can lower the boost ) also there are flex fuel sensors now that can be plumbed inline
and will adjust fueling based on that .. Bob was working on that and Im pretty sure its available so you do have that possibility .

Ive yet to meet anyone that has put a GN on E85 that has said.. Geez i'm gonna just put 93 octane in .. I don't need the extra 100 hp

What Turbo89 said.. just get another chip for 93 and keep it in the glove box for those long road trips..

If you are familiar with tuning the first thing i would do is go with fast xfi l.then upgrade the rest. It was the best thing i have ever done and gives you the ability to switch tunes

I'm running a SD2 chip . I am on a stock Ecm with a power logger. I am also flex fuel . It can tune on the fly according to the ethonal content. I love it . Plus it was a lot less then a full fast system . The mega squirt pro setup might be something to consider aswell . Fast isn't the end all standalone Ecm IMO

Definitely not end all be all. They both have ups and downs. But i dont agree with half the cost. If starting from scratch. You have chip, power logger, wideband, maf translator, scanmaster then reprogramming everytime you decide to upgrade. The part i miss about chip is alot of people are familiar with them and very will to help. The fast if you dont take the time to learn it you are stuck depending on your vendor.

If you are familiar with tuning the first thing i would do is go with fast xfi l.then upgrade the rest. It was the best thing i have ever done and gives you the ability to switch tunes

Huh ?? why would you put him in a XFI ?? makes no sense for what he's is trying to do ... a simple chip setup is all he would need

His biggest challenge that a XFI won't solve is that he wants to run pump fuel ... that's a problem on a GN ...

you've got 3 choices to run into the 11's on a stocker :

1) Race Fuel
2) E85
3) ALKY CONTROL

# 1 has limitations as we all know for a street driven car ... $ and availability
#2 has limitations in some areas with availability but are manageable
#3 has limitations with having to maintain the system

to the OP .. choose wisely IMHO try the E85 conversion .. if it isn't to your liking you can always go with a ALKY control kit .. you would still need the fuel pump and injectors anyway on top of the alky kit to run solidly in the 11's so you would have nothing extra invested except the chip

Huh ?? why would you put him in a XFI ?? makes no sense for what he's is trying to do ... a simple chip setup is all he would need

His biggest challenge that a XFI won't solve is that he wants to run pump fuel ... that's a problem on a GN ...

you've got 3 choices to run into the 11's on a stocker :

1) Race Fuel
2) E85
3) ALKY CONTROL

# 1 has limitations as we all know for a street driven car ... $ and availability
#2 has limitations in some areas with availability but are manageable
#3 has limitations with having to maintain the system

to the OP .. choose wisely IMHO try the E85 conversion .. if it isn't to your liking you can always go with a ALKY control kit .. you would still need the fuel pump and injectors anyway on top of the alky kit to run solidly in the 11's so you would have nothing extra invested except the chip
Because i am sure most find out it never enough you always want to faster and to me you can upgrade in steps with xfi without sending in or ordering a new chip. He also said he would like to be able to run e85 and 93 also possible with fast. He asked for opinions that is mine. I clearly said that is what i would do. The up front cost is alot but i wish i would of done it along time ago it will work through all the mods you want to try

Because i am sure most find out it never enough you always want to faster and to me you can upgrade in steps with xfi without sending in or ordering a new chip. He also said he would like to be able to run e85 and 93 also possible with fast. He asked for opinions that is mine. I clearly said that is what i would do. The up front cost is alot but i wish i would of done it along time ago it will work through all the mods you want to try

That's like telling him to put a Stage 2 in to run 12's because someday he'll want to go faster ...

you can do the same thing with chips as you can with a DFI .. they also have the flex fuel sensor capability as well as wideband correction .. you can even do the chips that do pure speed density .

It's total plug and play with a chip setup with the goals he has ... with a DFI he is going to have a pretty big learning curve and could easily run into tuning issues ..

I'm just saying that for a newbie to throw him into a FAST XFI as a first bolt on .. not sure this is really sound advice .

IF he had years of experience with GN's in general and wanted something to cover him into the 10's right off the bat .. then I could see the advice .

I dunno .. maybe its just me trying to keep things too simple .. Pretty easy to get a GN to run low 11's on a E85 conversion on a simple chip

Says you're from Baltimore. If thats right and you have E85 in the area go for it. When you said Ocean City Cruise it made me think youre on Delmarva. If your on the Delmarva peninsula forget E85. It doesnt exist. The closest E85 to me is about 1.5 hrs away.

I use 93 and alky control. 10.99 on unopened longblock ;)

If I had E85 available I would be on it like stink on shit. And I would have a flex fuel sensor like you've been advised

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.