looking to buy my first 1987 buick regal

Darren Thomas

hello , new to the thread. i have had my eye on this car for many years finally have enough saved to buy one. dont know if its better to look on craigslist i see some in the 8-12k range around 80k miles. would it be cheaper getting a fixeruper for 5k and dropping an additional 5k in parts and labor or buying ready to go. any help for this newb. would be appreciated.

You can pay now...

Or you can pay later...

Paying later usually costs 2-3X more than paying up front.

Many cars sell for less than it cost to build them. If I sold mine today, I'd have to take $6,000 less than what I have in it. That is the market and neither you nor I can change that.
Also, if you are new to TRs the learning curve can be very expensive. My opinion (and I rarely adhere to it) is to buy one mostly done or finished. Then you can enjoy while you learn about it. Just my .02 since you asked.
Good luck

Hey Darren , If it where me I would try to find one as close to stock as you can and really not worry the mileage so much . If you get one close to stock you will know the upgrades and what you have done to it , but its like anything , pay now or pay later . Good luck which ever way you go . Keith

Best bet is to find someone close to you who knows these cars well, their a wolf in sheep's clothing you can get bit either way.

Research a few scenarios...

How much does the following cost?

Paint & body work?

Engine rebuild?

Transmission rebuild?

That could be $10-$20K right there.

hello , new to the thread. i have had my eye on this car for many years finally have enough saved to buy one. dont know if its better to look on craigslist i see some in the 8-12k range around 80k miles. would it be cheaper getting a fixeruper for 5k and dropping an additional 5k in parts and labor or buying ready to go. any help for this newb. would be appreciated.

my
hello , new to the thread. i have had my eye on this car for many years finally have enough saved to buy one. dont know if its better to look on craigslist i see some in the 8-12k range around 80k miles. would it be cheaper getting a fixeruper for 5k and dropping an additional 5k in parts and labor or buying ready to go. any help for this newb. would be appreciated.[/QUOTE

It is far cheaper to spend the $12,000 on a really nice finished 86 or 87 Turbo Regal. Get one that is stock or close to stock as you can. Unmolested. This will eliminate all the gremlins caused by the previous owners. Stay away from T-Tops. No rust either. I did it and spent only 13K plus a powermaster.

A lot of good advice above... Stay away from the basket cases, you are better off finding one in good shape whether stock or modded. Good luck

Don't buy from some d*** h*** or you'll pay now AND later, research the seller same way do the car. Too many people have no problem hiding issues and taking your money, many straight up excellent sellers too.. You should check out the listing by Evans Ward in the cars for sale forum here, I'd be all over it if I was in the market. On that note I wouldn't be afraid to travel for the right car, specially with the number of nice ones dwindling. Good luck Darren..

Last edited by a moderator:
yea my father in law race
Don't buy from some d*** h*** or you'll pay now AND later, research the seller same way do the car. Too many people have no problem hiding issues and taking your money, many straight up excellent sellers too.. You should check out the listing by Evans Ward in the cars for sale forum here, I'd be all over it if I was in the market. On that note I wouldn't be afraid to travel for the right car, specially with the number of nice ones dwindling. Good luck Darren..

thanks guys! great advise , no t-tops because they leak??

They leak and have leaked causing body rust. They also allow the car body to twist under higher power causing b piller body cracks.

I would agree but only to a point.

#1 T-Tops leak. Yes they can. I have replaced my seals and adjust my tops from time to time. A lot of on and off and they get loose and rattle. And I no longer drive in the rain and the car is garage kept.
#2 Body Twist when racing. I have added all the extra bracing and don't have any issues. Sixty ft in the 1.5-1.6's And I have seen just as many solid roof cars that crack at the B pillar.

just my .02 Carry on....

^^^This. Feeling out the seller is equally important as the car itself and doesn't get mentioned enough. I have passed on some nice cars just based on the feel I get of the buyer and have done well with that strategy. I also second deez's comment on traveling for the right car. The right car may not be in your backyard. I live on an island and while we do have some nice local Turbo Buicks that I could have "settled" for, but I spend the extra dough to ship in the car I feel is the right one. Happy hunting!

Just remember... Sometimes someone may sound like a d***, due to being burnt-out by an over abundance of Craigslist losers, low-ballers, tire kickers & wanna-be joy riders.

Signed:
Big Ole Hairy Richard

Just remember... Sometimes someone may sound like a d***, due to being burnt-out by an over abundance of Craigslist losers, low-ballers, tire kickers & wanna-be joy riders.

Signed:
Big Ole Hairy Richard
Very true. But once you establish yourself as a no bs interested party, continuing to act like a tool speaks volumes, imo.

To the OP - These cars are like a drug addiction. Pleasure and pain at the same time. Once you start, you'll want more, and more, and more............. :D