Looking to purchase new wastegates.

Chevman2448

I have two old school Delta 2 wastegates on my GN. Im not positive they actually work as they are supposed to so Im thinking about replacing them with Tial or Precision pieces. Ive replaced all the vacuum tubes and all that and still cant get the boost gauge to move under boost conditions. I was assuming that if one of them was bad boost wouldnt be able to be created.
How do I tell if they are bad? I dont want to replace them if they are generally good units when they are in working order. If they are can be rebuilt? Would the parts still available?

Any info is appreciated.

Run a regulated pressure source to the gate and see if it is holding. I have the Turbonetics racegate that was leaking. Found that the seat was pitted...had a machinist fix the seat on a lathe. My Racegate is for sale ...I just went with a larger TurboSmart Hypergate 45mm

Bryan

I might have exhaust leaks too. I am getting a set of OEM headers to replace my lag causing super comps. Yes it has off idle turbo lag. So if anyone is looking to put those headers on their cars dont do it.
Whether they are bad or not it might be time to just replace them anyways. They were installed in the 90's by a past owner.

I took the upper waste gate off and it appears to be in working order. Diaphragm looks good and I cant open the valve by hand. So im going to say its good. Both of these are on the exhaust side. Im seeing a lot of pictures of them with them on the Up pipe. Im going to check out the lower one as well.

Remove the gate from the car and run a flashlight around the valve. Should not see any light.

The upper one is fine. The lower one the valve doesnt close and I could see a gap. I had a suspicion it was bad since if I moved the car I could see a water spot under that area. Unfortunately when I pulled it apart and tried to get the housing off the bolts broke. They were pretty froze in there. I tried getting them with easy outs but they wouldnt come out even after heating them up. Ill save my time and headache and just get a new wastegate. Ill put the old one on the bottom and the shiny new one in the engine bay.

I ordered a Tial gate from Cottons. Thought I would help the GN cause. I didnt trust "Authentic Tial" on ebay. Even though I could have saved 50 bucks.