Jdsluckybu

GBFL
so iv got a guy looking to trade for my lowrider pu for his 84 GN

its as clean as an 84 gets

Is there such thing as an 84?

are they just as good as a 86-87

are they injected?

do they come with 8.5 rear

i own a g body malibu and know all i need to know about them but lost when it comes to the gn. but hey i really want one!! any help would be great thanks in advance J-rod

The 84-85 GNs are considered "hot air" cars, meaning they don't have an intercooler. They are not as fast (a good 1 second slower in the 1/4 stock for stock) and take much more to get them to go fast. If you piece together the parts to turn the hot air car into a cold air car, it usually runs about $1500-2000. The hot airs don't bring nearly the money a cold air car will. For rough numbers, a 50,000 mile all original 84 will bring $6000-7000 whereas an 86-87 with the same miles would bring no less than $15000 if both are in good shape.

so iv got a guy looking to trade for my lowrider pu for his 84 GN

its as clean as an 84 gets

Is there such thing as an 84?

are they just as good as a 86-87

are they injected?

do they come with 8.5 rear

i own a g body malibu and know all i need to know about them but lost when it comes to the gn. but hey i really want one!! any help would be great thanks in advance J-rod

J-rod,
Yes there is an '84 GN. They are a hot air (non-intercooled) car. The '86-87s are generally quicker in stock configuration since they are intercooled, and there are more aftermarket parts for them. The '84s are port injected, '83s and earlier are carbed. They do have the 8.5" rearend. The engine block is a little different, not quite as strong as a "109" series block, which came in '86. A lot of folks prefer the '86-87s as they are generally easier to modify for the buck, but there is a substantial earlier model following. No matter which one you go with, they are all great cars.:cool: I have an '86 T-Type and love it.:biggrin:

John

thanks for the imput. this is helping. keep em coming!!!

so do the 84s injection, and ignition different? are there less parts avail?

post pics of both for opinions. (Lowrider and the 84)
Alot of hardcore race guys dont think of 84/85s as real GNs, kinda like the disrespected older cousin......They have the same name, they have performance potential, and are nice cars, but in OEM design is just an inferior performer to the intercooled cars. (That'll piss off some I am sure)
If you arent about runnin a 11 sec slip w/ minimal mods, and want a cruising car, get the 84. Its still a GN, and still gets love here.

well the malibu is in the 11s and i am lookin for a cruiser. just dont like poky slow cruisers lol

100_0394-1.jpg

100_0395.jpg

100_0393.jpg

the gn is pretty standard 84 black seat middles have some wear cracks. paints about a 8 from what i can tell on the pics. (no dig pics)

the trucks about 95% done it has alot invested but bottom line its still not done

all right so ill find out sat if the deal will go through on the 84. i went to a local derby last night and was talking with a guy that works at a shop up the street from mine. he said hes working on a guys 87 that wants a turbo sbc in his 87 gn. said hes looking to dump all the stock stuff (cold air, 109, trans, everything cheap) so im excited and to top it off its a 50k mi set up