lots of play in turbo = loud turbo 'flutter'

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
when i had the stock turbo on my car i noticed that when i let off the gas and it made that 'fluttering' noise or 'fart' or whatever you want to call it, it was really loud. now on my 44 it is no where near as loud as the stocker.

when i had my stocker on the bench i noticed this thing had a lot of play in it, i mean, i could pull the impellers up and down and move them side to side :eek:

so what i am wondering, is with all this play in there does that make that fluttering noise louder?

just wondering

thanks

-Neil

dont know the answer to your question, but it made me wonder what max boost you ran on the stocker?

I was planning on alky @ 24psi (stocker)

I have a feeling the stocker wont last long.

thanks

The stocker is blowing nothing but hot air after 21-22 PSI...Most people see no performance gain after that.

eh that might be...
sure is nice to tell people you run 24 pounds of boost though!:D

i would love to be able to say that but most of the time i run 0 boost because my cars always break down on me:(

my turbo however makes that same fluttering noise and i have very small play... maybe 1/16"... only going in and out...
i kinda like the sound!

this is a guess, but it makes sense. for the stock turbo to builld 20+ psi it has to spin alot faster than a larger turbo, so when you let off while in boost the compressor has more momentum so it flutters louder or more. When you upgraded to the te44 the compressor is larger/ more efficient so it did not have to spin as fast to create the same amount of boost, therefore it does not create as loud/ long of a fluttering noise. I think the shaft play is not directly to noise, but I bet all of the "farts" that you let loose on the stocker might have resulted in the shaft play.

my stocker was only putting out about 12psi, i never claimed to be making 20 or more psi with it....

I re-read, and you did not claim that, I guess I got the # from some posts after yours. but the last part of my message still applies.

I think the shaft play is not directly to noise, but I bet all of the "farts" that you let loose on the stocker might have resulted in the shaft play.