Loud tapping directly under the intake

Ok, I have an update, don't have a bunch of pics but I did get to see enough to know whats not useable and whats ok, first, block seems ok, it was soakin in acid bath, he said it was all gunked up especially on the front end. The crank is toast, there was so much play in the bearing sleaves I could move the sleeve back and forth almost an 1/8 inch and the one part twards the center was scored badly , The lifters where toasted too, the cam was worn and had side to side play of .1 when it supposed to have .005 to .008, Front case was worn and let oil pressure bleed by which probably had a hand on all the wear on the other parts. Both headers cracked got a pic of the one yep thats one big crack.

SP_A0028.jpg

he had a turbo crank and cleaned it up and we're gonna go with that, block looks good, and parts are ordered. forged pistons and all roller uptop and upfront.

New update, I was in the shop Friday and saw my heads in the grinding booth, and saw my intake with the bottom off, on a bench to get ported out. Its getting there, won't be that long now, I was told they are on target so far and expecting 500hp with the headwork cam and intake porting, and the ported TB and intake adaptor cone, and the 3" Gbody down pipe with a TA33c fresh from limit (turbo arrives tomorrow will have my son drop it off at the shop), should be done in about 2-3 weeks. I won't be able to stop back in till friday as I'll be workin in the bottom of VA and then lexington, nc wed and thursday.

i see you guys are mentioning having problems after only 120,000 miles. are these engines really that poorly designed or are they just fluke events?

i see you guys are mentioning having problems after only 120,000 miles. are these engines really that poorly designed or are they just fluke events?
There should be a "qualifier" added to the mileage..."A 1/4 mile at a time"...:D

I have driven the car daily and hit the track on the weekend, not to mention all the kids in their little VW's and such that want red light races, why exactly i don't know maybe they have a need to get smoked by an old guy in a 80's buick, IDK although I do find it amusing, I have taken the car on trips 450 miles to nc and run 1/8 th mile and come home, pretty much any and all conditions, so we're not talking about driving 4 miles to work everyday for 20 years and the family vacation, thats for the family truckster, not our regals, although they can and do go on the family vacation, they do everything else to, and well. those are 120,000 hard miles, with a lot of 1/8 mi and 1/4 mile runs and redlight racing, cause they are so much fun its hard to keep ur foot out of the throttle.

updated with a few more pics, T&D's getting installed and intake getting gutted and ported. its getting there.
Looks good!
Will the heads be ported? . . . . Looks like the shop did some cleaning in the throat area.
What cam did yo decide to go with?
Stock bottom end?

The heads are almost done, if you look close at the one pic of the heads you can see black sharpy around the valves, valve job is done , they are milling the heads to make sure all the clearances are correct for the T&Ds and yeah they are going to match the heads and intake, they just have to get the intake to flow the numbers they want then they'll make sure the heads match, he's doing a lot of machine work, and it should breath really good when done. Bottom is stock, we're using a compcam and he's custom grinding it to suit the set up, diamond forged pistons. There is a freshly made TA33c from limit sitting there for them to bolt on with the new motor, and a 3" gbodyparts down pipe too, into a 3" cat, then 2.5" dual catback. like i said, we're going for airflow to make the power on this build.

Got a few pics its coming along, heads are almost done and block is ready for assembly.

Few more fresh pics, block is partway assembled, should be together by friday, so i'm starting to think i'll get to drive it shortly after that....lights at the end of the tunnel.

Just took another look at the compressor map for the TA33.
To get to 500 HP with alky (??) you will need to run the turbo at PR 2.3 (around 18 PSI) and engine about 5900 rpm.
That "should" net about 410 WHP. With a concverter in about the 9% slip, it should do about 11.8's @ 112 mph @ 3650 raceweight.
If I recall . . . . you are looking for 1/8 mile performance :cool: and I think 7.5's@90mph is possible.

Also, you may need bigger injectors. . . . . . What fuel will you be runing?

Just took another look at the compressor map for the TA33.
To get to 500 HP with alky (??) you will need to run the turbo at PR 2.3 (around 18 PSI) and engine about 5900 rpm.
That "should" net about 410 WHP. With a concverter in about the 9% slip, it should do about 11.8's @ 112 mph @ 3650 raceweight.
If I recall . . . . you are looking for 1/8 mile performance :cool: and I think 7.5's@90mph is possible.

Also, you may need bigger injectors. . . . . . What fuel will you be runing?

Thats perfect, i had eric burn my tt chip for a ta33c at 18 lbs with alky on pump 93, should be dead on, we'll see when we open it up a bit whether the injectors are gonna max out, powerlogger will tell me if i'm getting close, we'll see how it goes, can't wait.

Pictures updated, I was told its getting dropped in this week, might be a happy friday...we'll see

Updated Pictures
Looks good.
Hard to tell from the pictures . . . . PS header . . . . you may need to modify for flow after cylinder #4.
This may become the performance constraint for your combo . . . .
I have not data to substantiate the comment other than unsubstantiated tribal knowledge. :rolleyes:

Well its done, I got the car back Saturday, between Sat and Sun put 60 miles on it already. Its a hot air beast now, i have to check the wiring for the alky kit, it arms at 10 but wouldn't fire at 14 lbs so I turned it down to 12lbs till i get that sorted out. Closest I got to the floor was about 3/4 of the way, boost was at 12lbs at that point and gating, it shifted into second and chirped the tires, I got out of it, my o 2's were around 775 800, and no knock, so i'm lookin forward to gettin the alky to fire and then tuner her up twards 18 lbs. I'll take my time, should be fun. Heres the last of the pics engine installed, i'll be starting a parts for sale thread to sell off the stock axles and diff, and stock trottlebody, and some other stuff.

Pics

Thanks to everyone for all the advise and tips offered, especially you Jerryl, you gave me a lot of good info, it helped a lot when i had to make decisions about combo and roller parts, thanks.