Loud Whistle

79transam

1986 Grand National
just happened a couple days ago I get a loud whistle at WOT. cant figure out what it could be. I only did a visually inspection haven't taken anything apart yet. everything seems fine and the car still performs the way its been. scratching my head at the moment. has anyone every had this problem before? could it be the turbo itself? it is a TA49 with a 63 housing. any info would help . will get a video asap
thanks Pete

Exhaust leak would be the first place I look. Then check all hoses from the turbo to the throttle body.

Mine was recently whistling to the point it sounded like a jet getting ready for take-off. Sounding like this got me way more attention, thumbs-up, and compliments than ever. Some pedestrians were even plugging their ears as I passed by. Hella cool/wicked sounding, that was until I lost 2 lbs of boost shortly thereafter. A couple of weeks later, I lost another 2 lbs and the needle on my boost gauge started fluctuating at wot; instead of just pinning itself. Turned out to be an exhaust leak at the turbo/dp, the gasket started blowing-out. It sounds like you're experiencing a similar issue, exhaust or boost leak. Start with the basics, gaskets, hoses, and what not. Or if you or someone you know has a boost leak tester that may detect it or at the very least other minor leaks you weren't even aware of. Here's a pic of my culprit. And no, that's not a Chinese gasket, it's one of the goodie copper.

Attachments

• 1441761681725.jpg
    1441761681725.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited: