LS swap 2004R mated to LQ9?

donnie_19

I am swapping a LQ9 in my 78 vette. Last year I purchased a 2004R heavy duty from Monster transmissions with a 2800 stall convertor with the lock out kit. Had this installed with a SBC 350. I have searched the forum and found most of my answers. The transmission is currently on the bench. Had a slight oil pan leak and will fix and also need to change the speedometer gear.
It shifted great up through the gears and downshifts fine until 2 to first around 10 mph or so, there has always been a slight banging? Is this normal or what should I check?
I never locked the converter up manually even though I had it wired up. Can this cause any damage?

I am swapping a LQ9 in my 78 vette. Last year I purchased a 2004R heavy duty from Monster transmissions with a 2800 stall convertor with the lock out kit. Had this installed with a SBC 350. I have searched the forum and found most of my answers. The transmission is currently on the bench. Had a slight oil pan leak and will fix and also need to change the speedometer gear.
It shifted great up through the gears and downshifts fine until 2 to first around 10 mph or so, there has always been a slight banging? Is this normal or what should I check?
I never locked the converter up manually even though I had it wired up. Can this cause any damage?
If you don't lock the converter while cruising, your fluid temps will get too hot.

Wouldn't the transmission cooler keep it cool and at operating temps? Running Amsoil synthetic trans fluid. Is there a way to make the lock up automatic. I am going to be using a Holley HP ECU and I a couple of extra I/O.

Wouldn't the transmission cooler keep it cool and at operating temps? Running Amsoil synthetic trans fluid. Is there a way to make the lock up automatic. I am going to be using a Holley HP ECU and I a couple of extra I/O.
There are kits out there to make your converter lock in 4th gear automatically. The cooling circuit is compromised when the converter is not locked. Put a gauge on it and see where the temps are while cruising unlocked. I have experienced high fluid temps on a 200r where the converter was not locking at cruising speeds even with an auxillary cooler

There are kits out there to make your converter lock in 4th gear automatically. The cooling circuit is compromised when the converter is not locked. Put a gauge on it and see where the temps are while cruising unlocked. I have experienced high fluid temps on a 200r where the converter was not locking at cruising speeds even with an auxillary cooler[/quo
This is the kit I got from Monster. I have not been using it correctly. I should have just turned it on and left it on correct?
The 200-4R External Lock-up KitThis kit will enable the driver to control the operation of the torque converter Lock-up. The switch will allow driver to turn the lock-up function off during in-town driving and on during high speed/highway driving. When switch is on the transmission will not engage into lock-up until transmission is in 4th gear. Transmission will automatically disengage lock-up switch when it down shifts to 3rd gear and re-engage when transmission shifts back to 4th gear. This kit is an external wired kit, no need to drop pan for installation.

I would make sure your kit is powered. It sounds like it will only lock in 4th gear which is standard for your type kit. Your transmission will thank you if you have it lock in 4th while cruising

Question or two on the lockup . . . . I'm running two large air to oil coolers . I understand about the heat . locked up in 4th gear the temp barely registers on the gauge . same in 3rd ( I can lock it up too ) .
I'm running a 3.08 rear so I have to be running at a pretty good clip in 4th locked up to keep from lugging . Other than the heat I've heard there is a lubrication issue with the trans not locked up in 4th.

Is it ok ( lubrication wise ) to cruise in 3rd unlocked ???

Are the speedometer gears color coded? I have a green one and my speedo reads 70 mph and GPS says 65.

Are the speedometer gears color coded? I have a green one and my speedo reads 70 mph and GPS says 65.
What gears do you have and how tall are your rear tires? If you have that info, its easy to figure out the speedo gear you need

3.08 and 255/60/15 tires. I have a green gear. Bowtie says I need a black but they don't have any in stock and it isn't likely they will every get any as this unit has been out of production for so long.

3.08 and 255/60/15 tires. I have a green gear. Bowtie says I need a black but they don't have any in stock and it isn't likely they will every get any as this unit has been out of production for so long.
I have gotten driven gears for the 200r4 from PATC in the past. They should still carry them

Will call PATC this morning. What is the oil capacity in this trans? I was running Amsoil and it shifted fine except the clunk when going from 2nd to 1st. Been considering Dex 6.

Got my kit from Bowtie's today. I am shopping for a pressure gauge to make sure the TV adjustment is correct. Is a cheap 300 PSI gauge ok to use. I can't think of anything else I would use it for. What size thread is the port on the side of the trans?
Need to add a new oil cooler. Is it better to run through the radiator or bypass and go just to the oil cooler? Is there a best way to measure or figure out what size is needed? I will have dual fans for the radiator.

Got my kit from Bowtie's today. I am shopping for a pressure gauge to make sure the TV adjustment is correct. Is a cheap 300 PSI gauge ok to use. I can't think of anything else I would use it for. What size thread is the port on the side of the trans?
Need to add a new oil cooler. Is it better to run through the radiator or bypass and go just to the oil cooler? Is there a best way to measure or figure out what size is needed? I will have dual fans for the radiator.

Yes cheap Pr. Test Kit is Ok to use. Check Amazon. Port on side is 1/4" NPT.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n...ster+kit&ie=UTF8&qid=1358032851&rnid=15690151

Using both the Rad and & Auxillary cooler is best, water cools 32 times better than air.
Med-Large size Aux. cooler is best. Tru-Cool type are self-regulating.
http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT

With 255/60/15 & 3.08 you could also use a White 13-tooth GM #25519848 Drive & Blue 30-tooth GM #561035 Driven gear combo.
http://www.chevellestuff.com/tech/speedo.htm
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/suspension/Tirechart2.html
http://www.montess.org/speedo_gears.html
I found both here >> http://www.partsvoice.com/partsearch or one of the Vendors on this Forum may also have them.

If the 12V+ is supplied to the Lockup thru the Brake Light switch, it will disengage when the brake pedal is depressed.
This is the best method if you need to stop quickly.
You'll need a 4-Pin Brake light switch from a vehicle that had Cruise Control or a Trans with a Lockup TC.