LS swap 2004R mated to LQ9?

I am installing an LS LQ9. I believe there is a vacuum port off the back of the manifold. I will need a vacuum source for my brakes and headlights. I have a lock up kit that came with the tranny. Its a switched kind where I have to switch on/or off and looking to wire so I don't have to think about it.

I have a 74 Vette and used the BTO lock up kit. You have to remove the pan to do it. My car did not have cruise control so I needed a different brake switch which was included in the kit. So here is how it works for me with my 3.55 gears. I stay in third gear no lock up around town. Once I hit the hwy I bump the shifter to OD and it automatically locks. From there it is automatic. The lock up disengages whenever you hit the brakes or shift out of third.

Are you going to keep the 3.08's?

Currently going to keep the 3.08 until I have a problem with the rear end. The trans is currently out of the car so I can wire the lock out correctly. I have a wiring kit harness I got with the trans and had it wired up so I had to hit the switch to lock up the tc. Want to wire it so I don't have to think about it.

The bowtie kit will do it but you could also probably do it yourself. Their kit includes the brake switch, a lock up solenoid and a 4th pressure switch.
They have you disconnect the third switch.
2012-11-21%252008.52.06.jpg

use a different 4th pressure switch. (I "think" the difference is the new switch is an always on switch) that way it locks as soon as you hit 4th and pushing the brake interrupts the circuit.
2012-11-21%252008.51.57.jpg

They include the solenoid.
2012-11-21%252008.51.36.jpg

It ends up looking like this. (keep in mind this is the Bowtie kit. The extra wire from the case connector is there for an add on kit of theirs that gives you a toggle switch to manually lock up in third if you wanted to)
2012-11-21%252008.57.35.jpg

Their kits are well designed and they have good customer support as well.

If the 12V+ is supplied to the Lockup thru the Brake Light switch, it will disengage when the brake pedal is depressed.
This is the best method if you need to stop quickly.
You'll need a 4-Pin Brake light switch from a vehicle that had Cruise Control or a Trans with a Lockup TC.
I may already have that as my car had cruise. so I think my switch may work. Here is more info. http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/lockup.htm

From ATSG Manual.
6'-10' ft.lbs. - softer the gasket the lower the Tq. needed.

From Chris' Manual:
165" in. lbs. using Duraprene gasket.

Retorque after a few heat cycles.

Stronger spring installed and new Lokar tv cable installed from bowtie. No bracket to hold the TV cable into the transmission like the old cable, guess the rubber grommet keeps in place. Installed the gasket with a light film transmission oil.
Last time I used Amsoil synthetic transmission fluid. Should I stay with it or go with some other brand? Whats the capacity?

I'd stay with the Amsoil or use the Dexron VI, it's synthetic as well. There should still be some fluid in the Trans + the TC if it wasn't drained so, it wont require the full amount of fluid like a bone dry Trans would.

Trans & TC capacities >> http://www.tciauto.com/tc/fluid-capacity

I'd add about 3qts. & shift thru gears to purge air, continue adding to cold mark & top off when up to Operating temp.

Trans is out of fluid. Had a little bit of a challenge when pulling it with the engine and the rubber glove came off the tail and all the fluid was drained on the floor. Might be a little in the torque converter but not much. I will stay with Amsoil as I have a few quarts left over.

Trans is out of fluid. Had a little bit of a challenge when pulling it with the engine and the rubber glove came off the tail and all the fluid was drained on the floor. Might be a little in the torque converter but not much. I will stay with Amsoil as I have a few quarts left over.
That sucks.

Since I don't drive this vette in the winter is it a big deal to bypass the radiator and just use my B&M stacked-plate cooler?

Finally closing in on my LSX swap. Had a short test drive last night and tranny shifted ok. There is a threaded port on the drives side, is that the correct location to check from? Going to hook up the pressure gauge tonight and check the pressures. Here is my TV cable set up from bowtie. What pressure settings am I looking for?

Attachments

• Corvette LS TV cable Bracket.JPG
    Corvette LS TV cable Bracket.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 240
Back in action tomorrow. Had to rebuild the 2004R in the last couple of weeks. Never could get pressure up where it should be. Found out that Monster Transmission totally ripped me off. It was missing the shift kit and 4th gear was almost gone. I had purchased a this tranny as a rebuild and it only had maybe 18-2000 miles and never did act correct. Going with a dakota digital set up so don't need to change gears. Really confident in my new Tranny mechanic. Now I have a one year warranty and the LS engine is ready to do some launches.