man steering

typetmkp

I have been told that a manual steering box for a s10 will fit in our car is that true? anybody know what years?

Go to e-bay, they usually have one or more listed there.

Get the pitman arm with it, year does not matter. Hope your's is a race car as the manual box sucks around town.:biggrin:

Thanks I did a little more digging after the post (I Know look first post later) everybody said that they hate it because it is something like 6 turns lock to lock? I dont think that I want that its a street strip car. my friend has one in his but only drove it once did not seem that bad. I dont like my power setup either is loud and draws power on the motor is there a diff option that is not stupid expensive?

Just leave the stock system on it. I mean it only zaps something like 3HP anyway. If it's making noise than replace the pump.

I'm not going to use my car on the street much anymore and I've already removed the power steering pump and plumbing.
It's pretty difficult to steer at slow speeds with the power steering box still in place (also since my car is heavier than a GN).
I'm curious as to what the car is like to race with a manual box vs. the power box.
Any different?

And does this box on ebay look like it would work?
I believe the GN and Impala box are the same, not sure about the pitman arm.
Is $100 a fair price?

Thanks.

eBay Motors: 1984 s10 manual steering gear box used camaro gm race (item 280264971087 end time Sep-15-08 06:51:34 PDT)

That's the box you want. I guess $100 is a deal. If you don't have a boneyard in your area anyway. I'd be worried about what condition it is seeing as the guy wasted a can of black paint to cover up a dirty and rusty junkyard part. Use the pitman arm that is on that box.

The only difference in the Impala PS box and the GN is the internal stop. There are plenty of good boxes out there so if I was looking for one I'd stick with the G-Body unit to play it safe. The 3rd gen Camarobirds use the same gearbox as the G-Body to give you an idea of how easy it is to find one.

Okay I bought this box and the hole in the pitman arm is smaller than the hole in my Impala pitman arm. The length and shape of the arms looks the same, so I should be able to swap arms. I'm just curious if anyone knows if the 96 B-body pitman arm is supposed to be different than the mid 80's G-body pitman arm?
Thanks.

That's the box you want. I guess $100 is a deal. If you don't have a boneyard in your area anyway. I'd be worried about what condition it is seeing as the guy wasted a can of black paint to cover up a dirty and rusty junkyard part.

Ditto. We call it "tune up in a rattle can".

The S-10 box is like a 20:1 ratio.

I got a Vega box with 16:1 ratio from Flaming River.

Eric is not only HP you are freeing up, you are also dropping weight off the front end.

Stock power steering set up - 41.0 lbs
Manual steering set up - 19.6 lbs
Saving - 21.4 lbs

P9280144.jpg

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com