manual valvebody question

CHANCE

No longer a Buick guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hey guys
my question is if your running a reverse manual valvebody how does the computer know that your in third gear or second gear or what ever to control boost and timing

charliep said:
The computer does not sense what gear you are in even in the stock ECM.
the computer senses third and fourth gears indicated by the pressure switches in the valve body. I would just use the same timing across the board. As far as boost goes buy a good aftermarket boost controller.

Just saw that you have a th-400. same still applies with boost and timing. You can fool your computer to use low gear timing by splicing the wires on the four prong plug that was used on the 2004r. But you will only be able to use low gear timing throughout all three gears. hope this helps.

I stand corrected. I currently own a T type and thought the computer only controlled the lockup. Thanks for the info. When putting a TH400 into these cars what can you do to fake the signal??

Depending on your chip designer, some use higher timing in low gear and use lower timing in high gear. If you swap to a 400, the four prong plug is no long used and will indicate the car is in d or od regardless of actual gear. This will reduce the timing that your car is using in all the gears if you are using a chip that has low timing in d or od. A simply solution to this is use the same timing in all gears. This would only apply to use in turbo regals. :smile:

I just went thru this a few days ago...
Eric at www.turbotweak.com can burn you a chip that works without those inputs.
My car has no speedometer and no column linkage. (TH400 swap)
The chip he gave me is otherwise the same, just no difference from the 1/2 and 3/4 spark and fueling.
(Spark and fueling is the same thru all the gears.)
I'm very happy with it.