Master Power/Stone Mountain Turbos?

4sfed4

Do any of you guys have any experience with Master Power / Stone Mountain turbos?

They seem to sell quite a few of them on Ebay at very good prices, but I am not sure of the quality?

Anyone with any thoughts/experiences with these guys?

They have a compressor map for their MP T-70, but it is actually a map of the Garrett T-70. The MP T-70 does not use the same wheel as the Garrett T-70. What gives?

Heres how I understand things---

Master Power (like Turbonetics, Precision, etc) take the basic Garrett components and manufacturer them to their own specs. In short, they change them just enough so that they are not directly copying Garrett.

I cannot speak directly about the T70, but in the case of the wheel in the turbo I ordered (MP62-1), the Master Power dimensions are 2.40" / 3.58". Turbonetics makes a wheel that is 2.40"/3.54" that they happen to call the T61 :D

The MP 60-1 compressor dimensions match up very closely with a Turbonetics T58 wheel.

I dont have any info on the MP T70, so I cant comment on how closely it matches the Turbonetics T70. But, if the other wheels are any indicator, the MP T70 will be awful close :D

The MP T70 is the same as the other 70's. Same size wheels, only difference is the shaft. The turbo is great for the price. Buy one T70 and have enough left over for an alky kit...hehe

Click here for sizing

Jose

Jose-

It looks like the MP T70 is a little smaller on the major diameter than the Turbonetics T70 with the same inducer size?

I believe the Turbonetics T70 is 2.72"/3.85". The MP T70, according to your drawing is 69.11 mm / 91.00 mm, or 2.72" / 3.58"?

If this is the case (and it is not a typo, i.e., someone transposed the 3.58" to 3.85", etc) , then Id expect the MP T70 to move the same amount of air as the Turbonetics T70, but not be as efficient, or as capable, at the higher PRs?

And....regarding the shaft sizing....it sure is cool how MP does things! It allows small displacement/high boost guys like me to run the big compressors with the smaller T3 style turbine wheels :D I ended up spec'ing an MP62-1/T3 hybrid for my 2.2L. I **almost** went for the small O trim turbine, but I was a little concerned about lag with my small displacement.

Also....since my MP turbo hasnt yet arrived---

Is the 0.70 A/R compressor housing with the 4" inlet and 2.5" outlet the same physical size as the TO4S housing sold by Garrett? On paper, the specs seem to be the same, but I am not sure of the overall outside diameter of the MP housing.

Originally posted by 4sfed4
Also....since my MP turbo hasnt yet arrived---

Is the 0.70 A/R compressor housing with the 4" inlet and 2.5" outlet the same physical size as the TO4S housing sold by Garrett? On paper, the specs seem to be the same, but I am not sure of the overall outside diameter of the MP housing.

Hello all, this is my first post over here, with hopefully many more to come. I have a '98 Regal GS and I'm considering swapping out my M90 SC for a turbo setup.

Back from the dead...
So, what's the verdict? I'm looking into purchasing the MP62-1, P-trim with a .84 A/R T3 turbine housing to try on my bent six. I would really appreciate some feedback from yourself or others that actually have first hand experience with these.

TIA,
BK