maximum lbs boost on a stock block?

suburban

How much do you guys feel is the most boost a stock motor will take assuming Zero detonation?

enough boost to generate 700+ HP.....that could vary a lot depending on the combo.....it is not the boost that matters, it is the cyl pressure/HP

Originally posted by suburban
Woody, is the stock steel crank the biggest weakest link?

I think we all ((wish)) the stock crank's were steel..:D:D
Matt:cool:

well, it is a weakness, but the biggest weakness (I think) is just the block structure.....thin webs, 2 bolt mains, not enough head bolts......just not really built for lots of HP

they can be made to make lots of HP (Race Jace is getting at least 700....girdled, etc....dunno if he is using a different crank, tho)

they are pretty reliable in the 500-600 range with a girdle and or caps......anything more is a bit of a crap shoot IMHO, particularly if you have to run lots of boost and risk detonation

the main differences in a Stage block are web thickness, more main bolts, better oiling, more head bolts....lots stronger and the way to go if you want to make big HP

thanks Woody, I guess I'm really wondering what level to push a completely stock motor ( no girdle or caps )

that depends on your wallet....with an unopened stock block, I believe you will be safe to at least 4-500 HP....that will get you well into the 11's on a regular weight car......to run mid 11's with your TE-44 is going to require lots of boost (more than 25) so you subject yourself to all the problems associated with detonation....keep it from popping, and you can go very fast on the stock parts.......ir running alky and not race gas, it would be prudent to keep the boost lower (alky+94 does not = 116 octane!)

Well, I popped my WE4's headgasket last night at 28 psi! My own fault... got too greedy too quick!