Maybe a alternative to GE1200

KWIKR 1

After some research and a few emails here and there. I may of found a Permatex product that maybe used instead of the GE1200 for sealing up steel shim head gaskets . It called "Permatex Super 300 Form-a-Gasket" . It is designed as stated on the container for "high-compression milled heads" , "resist pressures of up to 5000psi", etc . This product is a well known product used to seal steel and copper head gaskets in heavy duty commercial and Diesel applications from what I can gather . Also know as a old racers trick to use this stuff to seal up the steel gaskets in Big Block Chevy Race and Hemi engines with high CR years ago. before gaskets came out with coatings.

This stuff is like the "black goo from hell" and comes in a small bottle with applicator brush . Has anybody heard or used this stuff before ?

nothing wrong with the GE1200 :) . I was looking for a particular "automotive" product that was designed for this purpose. that could be used rather then a "commercial construction sealant" . This product would remain more pliable in service rather then a hardened silicone . And may allow the heads to be removed a lot easier if need be .

FWIW, I just pulled my T-Type heads off and the GE1200 was still plenty pliable, althought it did only have 780 miles on it. I had to give them quite a tug, so I know it was a good seal!

Steel gaskets/goo

My question is:
Why even mess w/ all that junk? What's wrong w/ the new coated gaskets?
IMO, it appears folks are trying to come up w/ some kind of a "miracle seal" in an attempt to reduce incidents of blown head gaskets. [And, incease the chances of blown engines:eek:]
What happened to the gasket being the " safety valve"???
The bottom line appears there is a need to use 15-20 yr old gasket technology and a goo to try to make it work.

I'd think a good quality, modern gasket and a decent tuneup is the answer to most of the problems I've seen posted.

My story, and I'm stickin to it!!:D :D
Back under my rock...HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all!!

Chuck ,only reason that I'm thinking of running Steel gaskets. is because I'm building a short block with TTA pistons and GN heads and want to bump up the CR a bit .

Re: Steel gaskets/goo

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
My question is:
Why even mess w/ all that junk? What's wrong w/ the new coated gaskets?
IMO, it appears folks are trying to come up w/ some kind of a "miracle seal" in an attempt to reduce incidents of blown head gaskets. [And, incease the chances of blown engines:eek:]
What happened to the gasket being the " safety valve"???
The bottom line appears there is a need to use 15-20 yr old gasket technology and a goo to try to make it work.

I'd think a good quality, modern gasket and a decent tuneup is the answer to most of the problems I've seen posted.

My story, and I'm stickin to it!!:D :D
Back under my rock...HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all!!
I am cheap man:D No, they work pretty well and it did cost basically $25.00 total to install them. I went with singles to up my compression ratio and because I like trying different things. I have standard Fel-Pro 1000's for the 4.1 though.

Im staying out of this however from my personal experience.I tryed every gasket out their.I have a stack of blown ones on the wall now that is backed by many weekends and hours.I use the ge1200 with steels and have NEVER blown one.I convinced it was my injectors aproching 100% that caused all my problems in the first place.the stockers are great untill you do blow one then you have a real mess on your hands.I do beleive in making the gasket the weak link however my expirience I was just lifting the head slightly and causing a trail from the water to the valley .I slill beleive it is a weak link Ill let you guys know when i split a block.so far so good tho

I wonder if anyone has ever used 1200 in conjunction with stock or composition style gaskets? It may hold the gaskets in place if the heads were to lift or at least keep the graphite from scattering if you did have one let go.

Originally posted by KWIKR 1
nothing wrong with the GE1200 :) . I was looking for a particular "automotive" product that was designed for this purpose. that could be used rather then a "commercial construction sealant" . This product would remain more pliable in service rather then a hardened silicone . And may allow the heads to be removed a lot easier if need be .

Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket is an automotive product!:)

This has worked in many applications for Buick steel gaskets as well as many others we do. No clean up problems like I think you would see with the brush-on? Unless you physically damage the steel gasket, it works great.

Have seen heads leak after high boost, and seal again after re-torque, then run again for months in high boost conditions when installed with the spray copper coat.

Don't know of anyone that has used the brush-on, but maybe it will work? Try it and maybe you will find it will do the job? We all still have lots to learn.:D

Which head gaskets & sealant is TA suggesting be used with their new heads, and new blocks? :confused:

:)

put mine on out the pack dry no coating on them at all :D

very little rtv around the water jacket holes .

I have lifted the heads a couple times already and still keep getting it without having to replace gaskets everytime.

just think how many regular gaskets I'd be going thru trying to figure out why my cars leaning out in high gear

Reds HA , is that a double or single you installed dry ? also just checking , is it bead side up on both gaskets ?

I did not plan to start a debate on which sealant or method is the best (we have enough of those :)) . Just wanted to pass some info along to those that maybe interested . I will most likely giving this "Super 300" a try (someone has to :D) . I can not see going wrong with a product that states it's uses happens to be exactly what we would need it for. If it was not for people willing to try different things these cars still would be 14 sec sleds :D :) lol . have a good holiday people !!!!!

KWIK,

Your post is very much appreciated!!

We all should keep our eyes & ears open for new & different products, procedures, etc.

And, then like you have done, be eager to share!

Happy Holidays!!

:) :)

A buddy used spray copper sealer on dual steels and took us forever to figure out what the funny sound was under boost! Took the motor apart (again) to find that he had blown the sealant right out to the outside and what we were hearing was boost blowing though the steels like wind through reeds! It was REALLY weird! Maybe he faultered somewhere else in the installation, as this happened as soon as he put some boost through the motor... not sure.

mine are single shim gm gaskets ...heck i cant remember which way they are on but it says top on top ...:D

I used stacked steels for a while ...leaked like crap between the gaskets ..

no downfall to running single so why bother with 2

Originally posted by KWIKR 1
Reds HA did you have to get the intake milled ?
I am not Red's but I put singles in my 3.8 and didn't mill the intake. It was a bitch getting some of the bolts started but it went on okay when I finally had them all engaged.