Melted coilpack ?!?

unix_punk

Just got the car back out tonight, ran good for about 10 minutes. shut it off to get gas and when i started it back up it was only running on 5 cyl. after a bit i noticed the coil pack smoking and melting right at #6. Any one ever seen that before?!? Plugs and wires are brand new (autolite 23's and russ meritt's). Anyone know what those wires should ohm out to? Any ideas on what could cause this? Anyone recommend a good HO coilpack?

Just got the car back out tonight, ran good for about 10 minutes. shut it off to get gas and when i started it back up it was only running on 5 cyl. after a bit i noticed the coil pack smoking and melting right at #6. Any one ever seen that before?!? Plugs and wires are brand new (autolite 23's and russ meritt's). Anyone know what those wires should ohm out to? Any ideas on what could cause this? Anyone recommend a good HO coilpack?

Don't think you are dealing with bad wires, or coilpack problem.
More than likely a continual ground (like a "short" in the module) or somehting like that.

Hm ok, kind of makes sense because it started to melt again just from turning the key on (engine off).

G-Force, theyre stock to my knowledge, no idea how many miles.

Give Jason Cramer of RJC Racing a call. He's been working on a special coil pac that might just do the trick for you.:smile:

George

Ok thanks, I do have a spare ign module which I will be swapping as well. I'm just hesitant to put an expensive coil on there without knowing if it will toast this one too...

Well last I looked the goop was solid plastic. :) I havent taken the coil back off yet since it melted. I will be checking that out tonight.

Yep, its goop now... :) Could anyone see the ESC module (not the ign module under the coil pack) cause this? I will be checking the new ign module with the test light method before I put back on the new coil. Since the coil smoked with the car on engine off, if the problem still existed with a new module then I should see the test light stay on when connected to each pair of wires on the top of the ign module instead of it being off and only flashing when the motor is turned over. Does that sound sane? :)