Methanol

boosted231

Can anyone tell me if adding Methanol to my fuel mixture will help pass emissions? I was told it would help but I just needed some imput. I have to get this thing through the Missouri IM240 test. I tried stock injectors with a TT emissions chip and failed. I just ordered new 009s and another TT emissions chip. If I can burn cleaner I think I have invested enough money to get a waiver. Thats why I bought new injectors, plus I needed them for my new turbo. As of September 2007 I no longer have to worry about emissions, Ya HOOO!!! I have tried Seafoam and Heet and still can't pass. EGR is functioning properly but I am blowing to much HC and NOX. Was wondering if adding Methanol will help. Thanks

You need a emission chip. Is this a 87? What mods? What chip?
I don't know about adding meth. Typicaly with the right chip and a good catalytic you should pass.

I am guessing your running a 92-93 oct street chip?

I was running a tt emissions chip with stock injectors but just installed 009's and waiting for another emissions chip from tt.

Thats really key with our cars. A must have. At least some kinda scan tool.
You are blind without it. Scanmaster has some cool features for the money.
With this you can set tps, iac, watch your o2, blm's and knock retard.
Thats just some of the features. It is the single best investment for your car.
You will have a better chance passing knowing everything is set right and that your BLM's still have room to swing. Not pegged one way or the other. I Hope I'm not loosing you here.

What usually causes failures are high H.C,'s caused by any misfires. All of the ignition related components have to be perfect. Coil pack,wires,plugs,check for any vacuum leaks.Easy to over look the vacuum cluster on top of the intake plenum & EGR gasket. If you choose mods carefully not only will the car perform well it will also run clean. Ported heads & a sensible grind cam won't cause failures,A healthy Cat converter will also cover a lot of sins. If you have a properly designed chip done by one of the more knowledgeable tuners there shouldn't be any issues with that.As stated a scan tool & paying attention to BLM'S are important inputs to the state of tune. Most states are already using up to 10% ethanol mix already so adding menthol just may make the problem worst. In the end its all a matter of common sense & paying attention to detail.

for what its worth my friend had an s10 truck that failed emissions horrible. with new plugs, wires, and 2 gallons of methanol it burned so clean they ran it through the machine 3 times not believeing it.

i wasn't there to see it, and this is coming from my friend who has gotten hundreds of cars to pass emissions, and then run 9's the same day. the guy can make up a story about anything. but the fact is truth is the car passed.

there is one other way that does work, its a bit of a last ditch effort but it almost never fails. take a unibit and put a small hole in the exhaust. the unibit will make a nice clean hole that will act as a venturi sucking in fresh air, dilutting the exhaust. if your close to the numbers that will make enough of a difference to give you passing numbers. when the test is over just put a screw in the exhaust and thats it.

denn454 said:
for what its worth my friend had an s10 truck that failed emissions horrible. with new plugs, wires, and 2 gallons of methanol it burned so clean they ran it through the machine 3 times not believeing it.

i wasn't there to see it, and this is coming from my friend who has gotten hundreds of cars to pass emissions, and then run 9's the same day. the guy can make up a story about anything. but the fact is truth is the car passed.

there is one other way that does work, its a bit of a last ditch effort but it almost never fails. take a unibit and put a small hole in the exhaust. the unibit will make a nice clean hole that will act as a venturi sucking in fresh air, dilutting the exhaust. if your close to the numbers that will make enough of a difference to give you passing numbers. when the test is over just put a screw in the exhaust and thats it.
No Comment!LOL

denn454 said:

I used 2 gallons of Coleman lantern fluid. It burns very clean!!!

methanol will lean it out some to so it might help but
if you have other problems its not going to fix it
what is the mileage on cat convertor? ever run race fuel or blow a
head gasket, that will trash a convetor
do you have an adjustable fuel regulator,if so you might be able to turn it down a bit.
andy

List of what I've done so far,

cat about 2000 miles, never ran anything but 93 unleaded
new coilpack, ign mod, plug wires and plugs.
replaced plastic vacuum pod with billet aluminum and new vacuum lines.
new O2 sensor, MAF sensor, temp sensor, new pcv AC Delco
New 009s with TT emissions chip
Drivers header repaired and no exhaust leaks
EGR seems to be working properly and also replaced the EGR soleonid filter.
Checked for vacuum leaks all around intake, tb, and plenum.
Just ordered a scanmaster, should be here soon.
I have walboro pump hotwired and an adj fpr.
New cranksensor and cam sensor is set correctly.
New fuel filter

One thing that I notice is when I start the car cold it revs and will idle for about 30 sec then idle real ruff and sometimes die, once warm it runs fine.
I'm going to wait for scanmaster and see what is going on

Do you have a cat on the car?

Reset the IAC, set the TPS in spec, drop the FP with the FPR.

I'm here in WA, and the above makes thecar pass without any drama.

I used to do smog checks and repairs

2 items that increase nox, and HC, are to much timing, and to low of an idle speed, if you pull some timing out, and increase idle speed, ( for low speed test) it will clean up, if its failing at higher speeds, then need to address fuel press, inj pulse width, ( all by the proper chip )
prior to testing get the car up to operating temp, and drive on the hiway to assure cat is working well, then go for a test,

good luck
cruzn57

I've found that1 qt of Berrymans B12 Chemtool and a full tank of the highset octane pump gas you can find, followed by some hard driving just before going in for a test usually works great. Once at the testing place, don't shut off car as to give the CC a chance to cool off.

Silver 'T' Top said:
I've found that1 qt of Berrymans B12 Chemtool and a full tank of the highset octane pump gas you can find, followed by some hard driving just before going in for a test usually works great. Once at the testing place, don't shut off car as to give the CC a chance to cool off.
How about a couple gallons of holy water? This method only works if your catholic & have a priest in the family amen!

I'd have the stock injectors cleaned & bench flow tested, then try it again with them.

Methanol will help HC *IF* you don't get it too lean. Too lean, and it will misfire, causing HC & NOx to rise. It's corrosive to some materials, so I would not go above 10%.

The cold idle problem you mention may be due to a vacuum leak. That will confuse the ECM since the mass flow sensor won't pick up the increase air flow. Yes, it may be the IAC.

Are the EGR passage clean? If they restrict the flow from carbon build up, then NOx will increase. Carbon in the combustion chamber will increase the compression ratio, increasing both HC & NOx. But the Seafoam is supposed to be good for cleaning this up.

You may want to see if unleaded racing fuel will help pass the test.

I replaced the vacuum pod with a billet one and replaced all the vacuum lines. Checked for vacuum leaks, can't find any exhaust leaks (recently had my drivers side header fixed). My blm is 150 at idle which is throwing things out of wack. This is getting frustrating.

Here are my scanmaster readings
AF-05
L8-34
int-128
blm-150
clt-184
ats-112
r-900
tps-40
iac-26
cc-goes from 13 to 254
mal was showing 44 but now since I reset my ecm it shows 00

I did install a new O2 sensor, GM the one Kirbans sells for the GNX with the purple wire.