Might be getting an '85 GN... questions!

70Nova355

First off, it has a rod knocking, and high miles.

However, the body is straight, interior is decent, and it's only $2,000 OBO!!!! I'd try to get it for $1000 cash this weekend if I can.

So, is it a good buy? I have a total of about $5500 to spend, maybe a little more. And I want it intercooled, too. Am I better off trying to find an '86-'87 motor for it, with the harness, power steering resevoir, or should I try to rebuild and Intercool the '85 motor? An '86-'87 stock intercooled off of ebay is around $100-$200... if I get the piping, can I just basically add this IC to the '85 motor? I'm sort of new with TRs, but have worked on plenty of cars, and have rebuilt an engine, done a clutch, brakes, etc... and I've worked on my old '85 N/A regal before, too. :)

Any and all help is appreciated.

if you can get it for a $1000.00 its worth it if thats the car you like as far as interior and body! rip the motor out of it and pic on up off the parts sales or on ebay. make sure the trans is good to !
Good luck !!!!;)

that's kind of what I was thinking. it's just a matter of finding a rebuild kit or motor to go back in, and If I'll have enough left over to get a bowtie overdrives 200R4 (which are on sale, $100 off shipping. the tranny would be $1100 total IIRC)....

I am completely in love with the TR body style, sound, interior (cushy as hell)... I had an '85 N/A, and it was a great car, just slow as balls. I also LOVE sleepers, so....

how much is an intercooler going to run me for the '85? where do I go to get one? I was planning on shopping the "for sale" threads here for my turbo and whatnot, so I know some of the stuff with be cheaper than new.... :)

*prays to GOD that this works out*..

I've been looking for a Turbo Buick in my price range for over 3 years now.... hope this is the one

An '85 is a good car, but the 86-87s are better in many ways. First off, the 85-87 interiors are the same, only the 84 GN had a different one. Second, I had an 85 GN and the price of parts, both performance and engine replacement parts ( sensors and such ) were higher. I do like the 85 rims better though. You can get an 86-87 i/c and make pipes, or get an i/c for the 84-85s at a much higher price. The problem with that is the turbo on the 85 is in the front and intake hole is in the back. This means alot of i/c piping, therefore more turbo lag. An 86-87 engine swap is rather easy and, in the long run, will be better as far as future upgrades such as intakes and turbos and such. The lower you can get it, the better. That means you can spend more on making it faster. An 85 can be made fast, but for far more than an 86-87. I know someone will chime in and say I'm bashing the "hot-airs", but I'm not. I'm just telling you how much cheaper it is to modify the factory intercooled cars. Look at it this way....how many 85 GNs will run 11s for just over a grand? In conclusion, get the 85 and convert it.:cool:

You may want to check first

Before you go on and buy this car that has
1) has a rod knock
2) High Miles
3) A hot air motor(even though you really prefer an intercooled one)

Look around on this website. There are GN's that are going for anywhere from 5500-7000 grand and probably just as clean as the one you are looking at and with less (issues).

The reason I say this is because after you get done rebuilding the motor (lets say approximately 3000 with u pulling the motor yourself) changing to a intercooled car and making the upgrades to the engine, tranny, body, to support that intercooled engine you are probably still paying about 5000 (being conservative here)when you can have a WE4 (super sleeper) or even Limited (super super sleeper) for almost the same maybe even less than what you are about to do and probably with 1/4 of the headaches doing it.

Not knocking your sale or your plans but before you do so, consider your options..........
Be Safe and Have Fun
Steve Chambers

Re: You may want to check first

Originally posted by artrenee10

Not knocking your sale or your plans but before you do so, consider your options..........
Totally. I respect your input! That's why I'm posting.. getting feedback from people that already have these birds!

The only problem with simply getting a different GN or T-type.....there are NONE in SW WA/Northern Oregon...None.

I've been looking for a Turbo Regal for under $5500 for three years now, completely unable to find one in my price range, unless it is indeed beaten to hell.. Hell, I've found basically the same car for a grand or so more in this area.

I would love to be able to take out a loan and just buy a lower miles GN for around $9,000, but I'm in college, and I honestly can't afford any more than $5500...

If anyone knows of one, however, please help me :)

I totally Understand

I totally understand, being a former broke college kid myself, and now a broke professional larger version of a broke college kid, its hard especially when u want something like this.
Just keep on looking and hell if you have to buy out of state and haul back across the country then so be it.
I bought my gn with a brand new paint job about two years ago with 33000 on the clock for about 10500..
Totally stock-ttops.........so far
Bought it from Miami, because I had the same problem as you......as far as looking in state for one that hadn't been beat to death.
Like I said, just take a good look at your options, you might be surprised what u run across for 5500;)
Good Luck and Have Fun
Steve Chambers

This post sounds familiar. :) Do you visit clubsi.com? I don't know how fast you want to go. The stock hotair motor will get you mid 13s or slightly better with the little mods. More parts are becoming available at reasonable prices. You can find a new FM IC for $800 or do it the way I did it and fit a Ford Powerstroke IC for ~$400 total. Turbo upgrades cost the same regardless of the year. There's a great new 3" downpipe made that's pretty cheap. The only places it's going to hurt you going hotair is you need to convert to the later computer and chips which can be done for $100 or less. Whereas the later cars don't need headers until way into the 10s, the hotairs need an upgrade almost right away but the prices are pretty reasonable. Last, the intake manifold will really hold your mph down. All it takes is simple porting and it really wakes the car up. I assume you already want to upgrade the turbo because the stocker is only good for 105-106mph traps.

Pretty much any shortblock part can be found in junkyards. Find a complete motor for $150 and rebuild it. I'm using a 4.1L because there's really no reason not to. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Originally posted by cool 84
This post sounds familiar. :) Do you visit clubsi.com?
hehe...that's me (5.Slow)....:) I basically posted this on every board I belong to, to get as much advice as possible..

Pretty much I want a car that runs mid 12s-mid 13s, and does so reliably. If I could find a damn '86-'87 Motor at all, I would be all about this, but it's kind of hard to find one. We have crap for junkyards around here, the best one charges the same as auto parts stores for parts! Maybe I should call shucks up and see how much a new crate motor would be :)