Mild Engine advice/suggestions

typhoon

We just got back from picking up the 84 t-type to be used in the development of the new intake conversion discussed here.

Car is clean, 58k miles but from what I gather from the previous owner, the cam is flat.

So here are what my plans are, looking for advice, suggestions, etc.

The goal is a mild street car for as little as possible, I already have a project typhoon, don't need 2. :D :D

206/206 cam (since stocker is gone)
replace all the main and rod bearings
double check cover for wear
new oil pump
new gaskets
new cam bearings
double check everything

I am figuring with the low miles and what the owner saw while replacing a head gasket engine otherwise is in good shape. I am assuming metal has not been kind to bearings though.

Anything else I should be looking for, or do while apart. I would like to see mid13's once we get intake, intercooler on but for right now I just need to get it running to get baseline #'s for the intake project.

Sounds like a good start. I like the 206 cam. I can't remember if you said timing chain or not. Now would be a good time to get a double roller. And make sure the previous owner used the correct headgaskets. I've pulled 3 motors apart for different people and found regular NA Felpro gaskets.

With an intercooler, intake, cam, and little mods you should easily hit your goal on pump gas/street tire. Don't expect anything over 105mph with the stock turbo.

Originally posted by cool 84
.......I've pulled 3 motors apart for different people and found regular NA Felpro gaskets.....
Ha! The stock motor Im currently using had NA Detroit Gasket head gaskets on it :eek: Took me less than a week to blow one of them with completely stock configuration before swapping on my bolt ons :D

This looks like a trend. And what's weird is the steel shims are cheaper. The best one I've seen is a friend's car that was running like crap. I pulled the heads off and all 6 cylinders were blown. This was a stock car at stock boost. He was a little pissed because I was laughing so hard when I got the heads off.

you can use the stocker head gaskets, they work just fine.
I'd rather use a headgasket the dealership made for my car
Instead of some gasket Felpro made for all GM v6's

Go to the dealship and order a pair,
I believe there are $15.99 each,

dont ask me how i know, lol

p.s. i also hear a double rollers isn't exactly needed for our cars,
I hear they are quite noisey.
Get a single roller timing chain and gears.
i Think Cottons or Postons sells them.

do a search of timing chains, and i bet that will show up quite a bit.

:D

My double rollers are completely quiet. Factory gaskets work great. The gaskets we're talking about are NA gaskets which blow the first time you hit boost.