Minimal mods

L917

Hi all,

I just bought a GN 87' stock 40k miles. I'd like to make some mods, but keep it to a minimum (no alky/turbo replacement). My goal is to have the fastest GN possible while keeping it as stock as possible.

All I have now is a scan master and I'm thinking of getting a 93oct chip (TT), #60lb injectors, and gas pump.

Anything else I should consider?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

I think you are counting out alky to soon as that is one of the biggest performance gains i had when my car was stock . With out it you will be stuck below 15psi . With it you can turn it up to 20lbs + .

Your initial idea is spot on. You will be really thrilled. I just did that same set up & cant say enough good things. I am pleased with my Turbo Tweak.

Last edited:
How much boost are you running now? 16-19?

I had the boost set at 15lb confirmed with an add-on boost gauge. With no physical changes to the wastegate I am now 17lbs after no more than the chip swap & installation of the 60lb injectors.

That was exactly what I was looking for. The car really woke up.

I had the boost set at 15lb confirmed with an add-on boost gauge. With no physical changes to the wastegate I am now 17lbs after no more than the chip swap & installation of the 60lb injectors.

That was exactly what I was looking for. The car really woke up.
Very nice. That's where I want to be. Thanks!

My 86 is a bit more heavilly modified (nothing internal to the engine), but I like where my 87 is. Nothing more than a good chip, and blue top (36#) injectors and a TA49 turbo. I had an aftermarket K&N air filter and pre turbo tube and ran that way for many years. Just recently I decided to put all the stock air filter and tubing stuff back on to get it back to stock appearing.
Ya know what? It hasn't suffered performance wise at all. Not even a tiny bit.

My 86 is a bit more heavilly modified (nothing internal to the engine), but I like where my 87 is. Nothing more than a good chip, and blue top (36#) injectors and a TA49 turbo. I had an aftermarket K&N air filter and pre turbo tube and ran that way for many years. Just recently I decided to put all the stock air filter and tubing stuff back on to get it back to stock appearing.
Ya know what? It hasn't suffered performance wise at all. Not even a tiny bit.
I am now thinking 60# injectors might be unecessary. I can easily go 42#, tt chip, and fuel pump w hotwire. Boost guage and scanmaster. Can't wait. Spraying valhalla.

Yeah I think that would be fine too. I had thoughts of future potential mods past where I am now so I stepped up to the 60# as recommended by TT.

My '87 has only a few minor upgrades, like big downpipe, big tubes twin muffler, test pipe, ported wastegate exit, HD adj wastegate actuator, cold thermo, cold plugs but its working really well with the 60#s.

Anything else I should consider?
consider not having a knock cushion/octane cushion while trying to push 17lbs of boost on pump gas alone with a stock turbo and intercooler.the charge air temps need a lot of cooling on that setup,hot ouside temps and a few wot hits and you will put the car into knock.a single nozzle from alkycontrol will drop temps and add fuel and allow you to max that combo with a cushion.if you can be happy running 15 psi you don't need the octane and remain that stock without pushing the pump gas limits on your combo

And once you get a taste of some mods and boost, its not gonna be easy to kick the habit of More and Faster! :hungry:

Thanks for all the feedback. The best part about owning a GN, besides knowing you are riding a f***ing legend, is knowing you are part of a cult like this.

I'm going to take care of a rear main seal leak next week and once she's running nice, throw in the TTchip+60#+Fuel pump combo- and then move along to some suspension improvements (+30 year old Buick suspension is an abomination). I'm thinking: Bilstein gas shocks and variable rate rear end springs.