Missing door key?

Odog87

I just purchased a 87 GN which I had a good buddy pick up for me 200 miles away. After locking the car up thinking I could use the same key to start the car to open the car, I found out the owner didnt have a key. Now can a replacement key be made or do you have to have the locks in the door replaced? What should I do get a remote door opener and a hood that uses hood pins in case the battery ever dies?

Thats what im afraid of something wrong....can you even make a door key without the original?

Once you get it unlocked, take the passenger door lock out of the door and take it to a locksmith--they can decode it and make you new keys.

better hope they dont come and steal it. better get a set made soon. you can get a hanger and open the door from the inside takes time but can be done

Well I just spoke with my girl she even knew that all older gm's take 2 keys square key starts oval does the door. Lol:rolleyes:

Yeah I ended up using a coat hanger and after bout 20 mins of fumbling me and a buddy got it open....I was reading online and i hear you can use the vin to decode a key for the lock...is this true? also I hear is there a code or something like that on a sticker in the door they could use....im not sure very new to this so any help could be used.

For all the money and time your gonna spend on a locksmith and trying to find a way to get new keys cut you could just buy new locks and be done with it. You can get both doors and the truck lock so they all match with GM stamped keys for $40.

GM locks and keys

Called the local locksmith and he said if I remove one of the door locks and bring it in he will make 2 new keys for 25$. Not too expensive so would you go that route or buy new locks for the door and trunk for 38$ with free shipping. Ive never changed door or trunk locks so anybody got any info on how to take out the locks?

Wow I just hit the autozone website and they have both door locks for 17$ and the trunk for 12$....thing I wonder is are the keys compatable or will I just have three differnt keys, ignition,doors, and trunk? At least with the ebay kit its one key for all three locks....

Gm cars use 2 keys one for the ignition and one for everything else...Id change out the locks just so you know someone dosent have plans to come back and steal the car from you....

I would go to the locksmith and keep the factory locks for $25, I need a door key for mine and should get around to doing that. Does your car have t-tops? That two more locks if it does and now your looking at six locksets. $25 is cheap.

Yeah I contacted the guy I bought it from, he said he never had a key either because it always sat in storage. I swear Im having bad luck. I went to crank the car yesterday and the starter went out. Havent been under the car yet where is the starter on our cars? Picked up one today for 80$ and I get 15$ when I take back the old one so I guess it was a good buy. Almost bought a mini starter for 100$ pluss shiping but after seeing the price I just bought a replacement.