missing

MiAde2d

I have an 85 t-type. My problem is that the car is hard to start & misses.When it is running I hold the idle steady at 2000 rpm.Then all of a sudden the motor misses & my check engine light comes on. I have a code reader I plug in as the car is running but with the reader pluged in my check engine light flashes like a strobe light making it impossible to count. Any ideas what the problem is???

code readers operate KOEO-Key on, Engine off... You cant get a code reading with car running unless you ahve a scan tool like snap-on or OTC...

Have you done any work recently to the car? Tune-up? could be a bad wire, or a bad coil, if it gets up in RPMS and cuts out... Need good scan tool to check it out, like a scanmaster to see your numbers, or some type of scan tool from snap-on or such to get live data... We use the MODIS for our shop tool, and we get great info and live data from the motor, plus it can spit out the codes while driving... If you just have a jumper (reader), it will only work with the engine off...

John:biggrin:

Try getting the codes manually without the code reader. Jump out the A and B slot connections on the ALDL which is under the radio. Take a paper clip or any small piece of metal and jump out the top 2 far right connections...Turn the key on but do not start the car. The ses light will start blinking...Count the blinks... I believe it blinks 12 for 3 to 5 times then it will give you the codes...When its done it will blink 12 again for 3 to 5 times which is end of test. Do not count the 12 as a code. Count whats in between.

Good Luck!