moly cage vs. mild steel weight??

1985GN

Breaking parts
hey guys im planning on putting a 6point cage in the car but i had some weight questions...i was told the the moly cage was about 25% lighter...i was told the 6point going in is 100 pounds and the moly is 75 if this is the case im just gonna go with hte mild steel since its cheaper.....any stories on this??

i understand its lighter and stronger im just wondering how much lighters is a basic 6 point going from moly to mild

A Moly cage is not stronger than MS. Remember that Moly is only lighter due to using thinner tubing. Moly has the tendency to break during high impact loads depending on position. MS on the other had has a higher fatigue life and will will not break like CM. My chassis guy told be on a 10pt cage the difference was 40-50lb. The price difference was about 700.00 more for the total job.

Just my experience and .02

Save your money and go with a M/S 6 pt. It will be just as strong. You will only save about 15#'s with C/M.

Scott
ChassisPro Race Cars

my 8pt added....

75 lbs, using mild steel.
and it added most of that to rear wheels,!!!

to give u an idea i just purchased a mild steel 1"5/8 x .134" 10pt from s&w race cars,the total shipping weight was 175lbs,they said the chromemoly was 25% lighter.That would still be 130lbs, it has to be tigged,and for almost double the price????

who makes good 6 point. when i bought mine i got it from ernie macdainel if that how you spell it. damn that was a long time ago. not sure how much it wighed wish i would have put it on the scale before installing it.