More opinions on GN values

I like this comment:
"It's an '80s GM, it's gonna handle like a drunk donkey after a show in Tijuana anyway compared to anything modern"

That was a good one- probably because it's true. :eek:
Otherwise, I was a little surprised by the amount of misinformation.

If I'm not mistaken wasn't it the 86 GN that did consecutive 4.9 seconds 0-60. I believe the 86 was the year the GN was truly born the GNX is the one who claims the year 87 for destroying everything in its path.......

If I'm not mistaken wasn't it the 86 GN that did consecutive 4.9 seconds 0-60. I believe the 86 was the year the GN was truly born the GNX is the one who claims the year 87 for destroying everything in its path.......

Yes most people forget it was the 86 GN that car and driver tested and stated, "It was the fastest production car in America" and was even quicker than Porsches, Ferraris and Lambos at the time. Most people think it was the 87s that received this declaration first but they are wrong. There is NO difference in HP or performance between the 86-87s. I have the original Car and Driver Article from 86.

I keep telling the 86 models were the best and the fastest but no one ever listens.:D

Actually, the '87 turbo has 2 more fins on the exhaust side. That's why they have 10 more hp and 5lb/ft more of torque.

I've never had a '86 but I've been told the fit and finish is a little better especially compared to the end of the run '87's when they were trying to crank out as many as they could before they shut down production. Can anyone in the know confirm this?

Yes most people forget it was the 86 GN that car and driver tested and stated, "It was the fastest production car in America" and was even quicker than Porsches, Ferraris and Lambos at the time. Most people think it was the 87s that received this declaration first but they are wrong. There is NO difference in HP or performance between the 86-87s. I have the original Car and Driver Article from 86.
Is there any proof for the additional two fins on the exhaust side as mentioned below to increase ten hp etc. via any official or gm article. Just curious I figure maybe you would know....

Is there any proof for the additional two fins on the exhaust side as mentioned below to increase ten hp etc. via any official or gm article. Just curious I figure maybe you would know....

Everything I've read and most everyone I've talked to said there is no HP difference between the years. That It was purely a marketing decision. I have not heard about the extra fins on the 87 turbo, I'm 98% sure they are the same part number between the years but I will have to check my parts catalogue too confirm.

Pretty sure they're exactly the same. There was no difference in horsepower. Watch Black Air- the original engineers on the project discuss this.

No difference in horsepower between years. Fit and finish was the same each year.

Buick low balled the HP and Torque figures in 1986 on purpose because of the corvette guys.

True figures for both years were really around 255hp and 355 tq.

Pete

Actual boost settings from the factory was anywhere from 12-14psi in first and second gear. That along with atmospheric conditions could affect stock HP by 40+ HP.

Pete

Yeah....I totally made that up. Just wanted to see if the new guys would buy into a new urban legend. :ROFLMAO:

I'm actually surprised nobody raised the BS flag on me instantly. You guys are getting rusty.