More Propane Dyno Fun

JayC

T6P.Com/TB.com Administrator/Webmaster
Staff member
Just got off the phone with Kenny Brown. He had his GN at the dyno today doing some more testing. I dont have the hard numbers here in front of me but I do have the gains. I'm sure Kenny will be along later to fill in the blanks.

Anyway, with a regular 93 chip, 93 octane gas in the tank and no other changes other than turning on the propane and turning the boost up from 17 to 24 PSI, he picked up 45 horsepower and 70 ftlbs/tq.

I think there may have be another 10-15 horsepower in a chip change but unfortunately he didnt have one to try. But still, the numbers look much better than last time he dynoed and are on par with the gains I was expecting.

Just wanted to share :)

Allright! Cool, we have been waiting for the 'official' results! ;)

Now we need somebody with a translator+, Max Effort, etc., to see what they can do!

Wonder what the chip timing was?

I can tell you exactly what is was since it was my chip.

18 degrees

Those seem like very decent numbers as you have to remember thats at the wheels so figuring something around 18-20% loss thru the drivetrain and reduced airflow thru the IC and your somewhere in the 60HP/90TQ range at the engine and thats with the 18 degree chip and a 7 psi increase. Certainly seems on par with the old addage of 10-12 HP per psi once the timing is added as its already just about there. Nice info Jay :D

Very nice!

I am quite sure that with a chip the gains will be even greater... that is why I ordered a new "propane friendly" chip from Jay just days after I ordered my Pro-Pain kit.

I can't wait to try them together... Jay, get your hustle on. ;)

:D

I get the weather reports up there. Unless you have ice skates on your car, it's sitting. Rest assured that by the time the ice thaws, you will be ready.

What choo talkin' bout, Jay? ;)

I have had the car out a handful of times already. Granted that was before the snow/ice storm... but it is all melting now. High of 2*C... 10*C tomorrow. :)

I have got end of winter ants in my pants. :D

Thanks Jay. :)

Jay pretty much summed it up, but to be specific, the HP went from 282.4 to 326.8 and the torque from 333.9 to 403.5.

My setup is stock 100,000 mile long block, NEW valve springs (problem from previous dyno runs), PT-51, 50 lb injectors, THDP, big neck intercooler. Consistant mid 12 second car in street trim.

We did 3 runs to establish a base, then turned the propane on and the boost up. No other changes. I recorded the runs on Turbolink and showed a couple of degrees of spark retard on the way up, but none once it got there.

Kenny,
Do you have a report on how the air fuel changed when going from gas to propane? I'm sure if you were able to scan and post dyno sheets on the web somewhere, many would be interested to see them.

TIA

I will be sending the Turbolink files and dyno sheets to Jay in the next couple of days. I'm not sure you can find the propane "on" point (17 lbs of boost) on anything I have though.

Kenny,
I'm not sure I understand your answer. I don't care when the propane came on, I was wondering how the reported wideband air fuel ratio changed between the 17 psi runs and the 24 psi runs but thats "if" the wideband was used during your pulls.

TIA

I guess I didn't understand your question:). There is an air/fuel ratio graph on the bottom of the dyno sheet (I think that's what it is) based on a reading from a sensor in the exhaust pipe. The dyno guy was pretty concerned with it, but I was using Turbolink readings.

I thought you were asking how this graph changed when the propane came on at higher boosts. The base run graph and the propane run graphs followed the same path, except for some separation between 4400 and 5000 RPM. On one sheet the base run is richer, on another the propane run was richer in this area. Other than that they are pretty close to the same line. I am not sure of the scale on the graph to tell you how big a difference there was. The dyno guy was also having problems printing the sheets in a clear format (new software). He is supposed to send me some new sheets when he gets it figured out

I did not use a wideband O2 sensor and my stock O2 sensor is acting a bit erratic. I guess I would say it did lean out a bit with the higher boost propane runs, but that is where the most HP came from. The best HP pull produced an EGT of 1700. I added some fuel for the last pull and lost 2 HP, but lowered the EGT to 1655.

What type of gains can be expected with a 100 octane chip, everything else being equal?

Kenny,
thats it, the little chart at the bottom from the sensor he had in the tail pipe. Can you give a description as to the range of the reading for both your non propane and propane runs through the rpm's? I'm guessing the numbers are in the 11.x range for the runs or something like that...

You can't really make out any numbers on the graph. I think I was the first printout with new software for these guys and the format was way off. The guy running the dyno was real concerned with these numbers and we were tuning the car for the base runs based on these graphs. We got to a point he was happy and they stayed within his "happy" range for the rest of the pulls. Sorry to be so technical.

He is supposed to get me some more easily read results and I will post those numbers.