More Walbro info

GNRick

Retired member
I called Walbro. Per Diane, only pumps manufactured in 2008 are subject to the recall. There is a julian date code on the pump which is read like this example: 15281 means it was built on the 152nd day of 2008, first shift. The fourth digit must be an 8 to signify it was built in 2008. Here is some contact info:

Walbro North America
Sales and Engineering
6242 Garfield Street
Cass City, Michigan 48726
Phone: (989)872-2131
Fax: (989)872-3090
Email: sales@walbro.com

Joe Yoon @ TI automotive (989) 672-8230
Jeff @ VE Peterson 1-800-537-6212

More info

I spoke with Jeff at VEPeterson today,just got off the phone with him. I got some real good information on the 07 169,'s & the 08 169's

They are warranting all 07 169 pumps & some 08's according Jeff. I'm using him as a source since there are only 2 Walbro distributors in the U.S. VEPeterson & Holley from what I'm told. On the 08's they have an improved version on the late model 08's. They added an extra rib on the bottom piece of white plastic.
GNrick is also correct on the date code. Jeff is suppose to call me back with the new day on which the new 169 pumps came out. He said it was about 3-4 months ago. Keep in mind not all 169's were bad from 07-8. THERE WERE ONLY A FEW BATCHES THAT HAD THIS PROBLEM. But instead of going thru & trying to get the exact ones the are warranting them all.
They can not be identified from the outside as being bad.

As far as the 06 & older units.No warranty.*
unless:

*Jeff stated this is Walbro's Policy. If you send the pump in with $40 they will flow test your pump. If it comes with in specs they do not warranty it. If Failure is due to improper installation,Debris, or improper voltage no warranty.
If you send the pump in & it is in fact bad they will give you a new pump & your $40.00 back. Walbro had a better warranty on their pumps a while back. This was the problem. 99% of the pumps were not the pumps fault. Walbro had to change their policy due to abuse of the warranty.

When I hear back from Jeff I will update the exact date the new 169's came out with no problem.
We are now ordering walbro 340's & NEW 08 169's. Anything shipped from us will be either the 340 or the revised. If you have a pump on order with us this is what the hold up is. Trying to get the correct information.

As of today I have had 1 pump returned stating it is bad. It wasn't a 169. I will be sending it out to get tested.

Walbro F20000169 FACTS....

i just wanted to through this out there to possibly shed some light on the subject.....

In speaking with a "source" regarding this situation here is what I have.....

1) They are going to replace any defective pump (pump that has quite working)
2) They will replace any new/unused stock.

These replacement issues must be done throught the vender you purchased them from who will inturn contact the National Warehouse.

Walbro has determine and isolated a component issue from one of its supplier in 2007. Please note that not ever pump produced was bad (ask Mike stated), it was very speratic problem in production.

If you have a pump that is installed and working it has already been through the "heat cycle" and if it was going to fail it would have already.

In addition, from what I am told the pump that are sent back will have the date code documented and recorded and anything that may have been from 2006 or older is not covered and there is selective coverage in 2007 as not all pumps were affected. All pump sent back as "warranty" are tested to determine if the claim is truly valid.

I hope that any of this information is helpful. if anyone has any additional comment please tell.

Thanks,

JT

Jeff from VEPeterson just returned my call on the new date of the 169's. He has the date of 30408. He said they may be a few out there a few days earlier like 300th day.
The new units are easily identified by have 5 ribs on the bottom instead of 4.

I'm forwarding this link to Jeff so that he may step in & post to verify anything I may have missed or mis posted.

Jeff has spent alot of time on this verifying any problems & being very honest with his descriptions & warranties.

No where did I see anyone post about sending your pump to your supplier with $40.00 to have the supplier ship it to Walbro to verify a good or a bad pump.

I also wanted to Say thanks also to Scott W with putting us in touch with Jeff so we could get this taken care of. He has spent alot of time black maling me because we sold the pump more then likely that is in his car to the previous owner. :D

i just wanted to through this out there to possibly shed some light on the subject.....

If you have a pump that is installed and working it has already been through the "heat cycle" and if it was going to fail it would have already.

Thanks,

JT
I'm not so sure about this "heat cycle". The problem with my pump showed up at the race track. Under normal driving it worked ok. so if someone installed the defective pump and didn't "get on it", the problem might not have shown up yet.

Jeff from VEPeterson just returned my call on the new date of the 169's. He has the date of 30408. He said they may be a few out there a few days earlier like 300th day.
The new units are easily identified by have 5 ribs on the bottom instead of 4.

I'm forwarding this link to Jeff so that he may step in & post to verify anything I may have missed or mis posted.

Jeff has spent alot of time on this verifying any problems & being very honest with his descriptions & warranties.

No where did I see anyone post about sending your pump to your supplier with $40.00 to have the supplier ship it to Walbro to verify a good or a bad pump.

I also wanted to Say thanks also to Scott W with putting us in touch with Jeff so we could get this taken care of. He has spent alot of time black maling me because we sold the pump more then likely that is in his car to the previous owner. :D
Black mailing? Ha ha that sounds funny. I would also like to thank Scot for providing me with the contact information for Walbro.

I also wanted to Say thanks also to Scott W with putting us in touch with Jeff so we could get this taken care of. He has spent alot of time black maling me because we sold the pump more then likely that is in his car to the previous owner. :D[/QUOTE]

lol...

So is a pump that is dated 15807-2 included in this?Also consused on the ribs.How many is this.Also what happens if i didnt buy it,the pervious owner of the car bought it.

Attachments

• Cars 009.jpg
    Cars 009.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 412
Thanks guys, but I was just put into a spot where I had to do some searching & digging of my own, I don't use just a shovel !! I use a TRACKHOE!.. ;) I ended up speaking with Jeff and decided to let others follow through with this information rather than me as I have passed on the information that I have gathered!. All I ever wanted out of this is a simple answer and in the process all I ever got was misleading answers and misleading information!! There ended up being two conflicting storys that I just couldn't sit with. Certian things have not been told during this whole process, details have been withheld during this process!! All it seemed to me is like a run around on the board!!! One company said one thing while the other said another thing!!! It all seamed to me like it was nothing more than a snake in the wood pile to me, so I decided to let others handle this in a totally differant manner. I don't like to lolly gag around an answer so i'm hopefully this will surely come to an end and we can have More than ONE company supplying the buick comunity with the WALBRO GSS 340 pump!!! that hasn't had a problem....

Looks like we will have two vendors from now on selling the WALBRO GSS340 pumps!!! :D

Hopefully i've shed some light on this subject for others ...

Hope this all gets resolved soon,

Scot W.

Another thing to EVERYONE!!!

1). The pump HAS TO BE "DEAD" meaning 'NOT WORKING AT ALL!!!" It CAN NOT be failing at only WOT!!!

IT HAS TO BE COMPLETELY DEAD!!!!

The pump recall ONLY goes back to TO 2007 PERIOD!

If your pump is falling short like mine is and causing a lean cond. Too Bad! WALBRO still considers it to still be good!!!!

Scot W.

Mine would work until it heated up. Pressure than slowly dropped to zero until the car died. Are they going to say my pump is good since it works at first?

F20000169 failures

Just another thought... these old pump that have failed?!?!? you also have to look at the fact that these pumps were purchase with no warranty. If the pumps failed right from the start then it may have been a "possible" warranty but if the pump functioned for a prolonged period and failed it will more than likely not be subject to warranty.

JT

If Walbro is going to test all pumps sent back why do they need to be dead? :confused:

I'd for sure make mine dead however before I sent it back after reading all this. :p

If Walbro is going to test all pumps sent back why do they need to be dead? :confused:

I'd for sure make mine dead however before I sent it back after reading all this. :p

The answer I got that I previously posted was the fact when they did warranty them. The problem was 99% Failure is due to improper installation,Debris, or improper voltage, Not the pump itself.

Sort of like using a craftsman tool not made for it's use & then turning it in to get a new tool.
Alan if it is mellitus(sp?) destruction they will not warranty it.

rob350 Jeff can correct me if I'm wrong but he did explain that the bad units would go thru 2-3 heat cycles & then fail. That is why I think he posted:

"If the pumps failed right from the start then it may have been a "possible" warranty but if the pump functioned for a prolonged period and failed it will more than likely not be subject to warranty."

challengermike 158th day of 07 2nd shift should be under recall. I never did ask if it had to be purchased by the original owner.

I'm sure Jeff will stop back in & correct anything mis posted. I think it was good of him to come here & spend his time to straighten this out & post the facts. He is the 1 who will be dealing with this as far as returned pumps. It would have been alot easier to ignore it.

413turbo & GNRick Black mailing was a joke between Me & Scott ;) I hope people reading that didn't take it seriously.

Jeff one thing I did want to ask you is how long meaning "time wise" do customers have to return pumps?

Because that is Walbro's policy I belive. I was told they have to be Dead or completly not working OR still new un-used and within the date back to only 07'. ( I personally do not agree with this but this is what it is I guess)

To my understanding ALL PUMPS sent in will be tested regaurdless if they are dead or new! If the pump went bad for any reason other than the bad part being recalled they will be sent back to the customer with no replacement.

To my understanding Walbro will also be checking ALL date codes of every single pump that is sent in under this recall Pumps that DO NOT fall within this recall period will be sent back to the customer with No replacement!

Scot W.

"Pump must be Dead"

That is a new one.

I thought the Big problem is the pressure dropout

I changed 3 pumps because the cars went lean everytime the owners increased the Duty of the Pump.

So do I take a hammer to these pumps before I return them or will the Story change tomorrow.

This whole Walbro Situaton has been nothing short of a FARCE

I can't believe my pumps have been denied warranty and accepted 7 times before I even send them in.

GET IT TOGETHER WALBRO

We need Something in writing From Walbro. Where is there statement on the issue? phone calls mean Sh!t !

413turbo & GNRick Black mailing was a joke between Me & Scott ;) I hope people reading that didn't take it seriously.
Late last night when I returned from our toys for tots meeting and when I read that brian I about completely fell out of my chair laughing.. LOL

Scot W.

"Pump must be Dead"

That is a new one.

I thought the Big problem is the pressure dropout

I changed 3 pumps because the cars went lean everytime the owners increased the Duty of the Pump.

So do I take a hammer to these pumps before I return them or will the Story change tomorrow.

This whole Walbro Situaton has been nothing short of a FARCE

I can't believe my pumps have been denied warranty and accepted 7 times before I even send them in.

GET IT TOGETHER WALBRO

We need Something in writing From Walbro. Where is there statement on the issue? phone calls mean Sh!t !
This latest information is far from a FARCE! This info is straight from Jeff @ VE petersen. The very company that ALL these pumps and there vendors have to end up going through for ANY returns!

I feel the same as you with the pumps having a pressure drop! That is exactly what mine was doing. I would like walbro to consider there pumps defective at that point as well but there point is, If the pump works fine other than under WOT it's 99% due to debris, low voltage or other reasons mentioned Above by brian.

Jeff @ VE said you can send your pump/pumps in and they will be glad to test it for you at a cost of $40 and if it is deamed to be defective Walbro will send you a new pump and also return your $40.

" Jeff @ VE said you can send your pump/pumps in and they will be glad to test it for you at a cost of $40 and if it is deamed to be defective Walbro will send you a new pump and also return your $40. "

That's fair I guess. :smile:

So what's the failure mode of that defective part? :confused: ;)

Anything on the lower edge of spec. should be waranteed for sure.

Low pressure out of spec. is certainly a product failure, no way it has to be dead to need replacing. :eek:

I'd say most of them came in kits which include plug and play wiring and a sock so I don't see a lot of debris and low voltage issues being the fault of the consumer in only 2 years. :confused:

Just my .02 and I'm happy I don't have one, mine are a lot older versions.