Morel Lifters?

Add another 1/2 turn amd let us know what happens That should get you close to .050
Mike

I am using 1.60 Harland Sharp rockers and i did the preload at a half turn after there was no play as per the directions. maybe it needs a bit more. Once my car is warmed up i can hear them standing outside the car, sitting in the car, standing behind the car. Maybe i'm doing something wrong. Once the car is together i will bring it to one of the pros on here for proper advice before i change anything. I apologize if i came out a bit too harsh but this is my personal experience.

D

It's been a long time since I have fooled with it, however I think that I went one round past zero lash, this is with T&D rockers. Oil pressure is around 20 psi hot idling. I'm using Mobil 1 10W-30. I haven't taken the valve covers off yet, but last comps wouldn't pump up. I could grab some of the rockers and push down on the push rod. I think that would be normal if the car had sat for a long time and the lifter had bleed down, but that wasn't the case.

Weird they say .020 - .025 for iron heads iron block wonder what Morels thinking was on this. It seems as tho many are going double and getting quieter valve train.

Running the morels and 15/40 oil had to reorder the right length push rods with H&S 1.55 rockers engine is very quiet !!

I will try that. I'm in the process of putting my car together after painting it now.
As soon as i get it all together I will readjust the rockers.

Thanks Mike

D

Add another 1/2 turn amd let us know what happens That should get you close to .050
Mike

206/206 CompCam
Harland Sharps 1.6 rockers
Morels

Very quiet also.

With the stock rockers..."click, click, click"

Had .030" preload on my Morrells and they made a little noise and from the advice from Mike Licht, went to .050" and no more noise and even gained a little vacuum at idle.

Thats what I wanted to hear. Just purchased a roller cam and if it was going to be that noisy It would be back up for sale.

sounds like mine after the car warms up. i'm going to do the .50 preload as recommended above as soon as i have a chance.

D

There is an advantage to some with the 885 lifter. I dont use anything but them on my engines. They always sound the same

You just might have the answer my friend.

IMHO preload isn't where it is. I wasn't sure about this when I was placing Morels in my engine. So I went to the best there is on the west coast IMHO maybe even in the country on engines. We did my preload all different ways in mock up until we both were confortable with what we had and the preload listed by Morel for my given application.

Because of the onset of "talking" in a sustained idle warm. I'm thinking the checkballs, and springs in the lifters themselves. Nothing an end user has the ability to adjust one way or the other. Sure seems design to me at this point.

If I buy 885s and they work out............................. I might have another door and or a card to play into Morel. I'll see.

I started to think of my go to statement in ALL illusive automotive problems in my experience.
"The problem usually is in what you are taking for granted as being good when it is not." You rule it out, don't examine or check it's opperation and therefore don't get at solving the problem."

Are we trying to cure a symptom or the problem? What does the lifter need to opperate properly? OIL!

These TR engines idle at about 10 psi. give or take. Most people will install a roller hydraulic cam and lifters after their original flat tappet cam goes flat. Others during a rebuild or during a performance upgrade of parts. It is after one of these events that this problem surfaces.

Maybe these lifters need a high volume supply of oil unlike what the original lifters needed?

I ordered a Mellings high volume pump kit today to try and see if it has the desired effect. It adds an advertised +29% increase in volume of oil. I should have it in a few days.
I have noticed that my Morels have been getting much quieter as I put more use on them. At cruise I don't hear them anymore.

Something else I thought of. If you have installed an aftermarket timing chain, Roller Rockers, Forged Pistons and other known noisy in opperation parts. Make sure your not trying to "fix" something you can't without a removal of those or that part.

Mike

Ok, I finally readjusted my 1.60 HS rockers to one full turn of pre load which i believe is .050 pre load and they are very quiet now. I did forget to check how many threads were showing on the HS rockers for the proper oiling so i have to take it all apart again.:mad: I may need longer push rods.

D

thanks for the advice Mike

I wanted to bring this thread back up for a question. My valve train was all out of sorts last year and it's now finally up to snuff. After all the changes I heard a few noisy lifters (Morels). I decided to readjust the rockers. I did find a few that were not at tight as the others. Now they are set to .025. Once warm (10w40 oil) they are now quieter than before. If I want to try them tighter do I have to do the whole procedure to adjust or can I just loosen the set nut and turn the adjuster an extra 1/4 turn? I realize the rockers pushing down on the springs will be harder to turn.

Just put on base circle or near and you can turn from there. Honestly you shouldn't need much more. In my experience I have had the engine layover from too much preload. Its a roller valvetrain the make some sewing machine noise...it's ok.

we gained half a second with extra preload mucking around trying to go faster its worth messing with at the track to see gains