Moser 28 spline c clip axles?

JMT

Are the moser 28 spline c clip direct replacement axles worth doing? Was thinking of doing the axles and a good differential cover. Car is making around 550 rwhp, only make it to the strip 3-4 times a year. Not looking for crazy 60 ft times, I am shooting for 1.5 to 1.6 60 ft. can they do it safely and reliably?

No. Go with the c-clip eliminators axles because later on, if you keep improving the power of your engine, you might get to a point where the safety rules will require you to get rid of the c-clip axles, so if you're in the market for aftermarket axles, you might as well go straight to the c-clip eliminators and be done with it. I did and never regretted it. ;)

Claude. :)

the moser 28 axles are 20% stronger than the stockers and will handle 1.5/1.6 60fts. its a very cost effective option,if you have the paper an eaton posi will compliment that setup.

The Moser axles are a great cost effective upgrade for the goals you have in mind. For what you're looking to do, the c-clip eliminator axle setup would be a total waste.
I've run the moser 28's in mine since the early 90's and they've done just fine! Car is retired from racing, but the axles are still there and working fine.

Just the thread I was looking for. I'm in a similar situation as the OP and looking to run low 11's with the occasional high 10 on a good day. No trans brake. At what point does it become a good idea to upgrade axles and go with c-clip elims? How about a rear cover also?

If you're getting a new carrier, like an eaton, upgrade both to 30 and no need for 28's.

Everyone says the 30's are a bigger diameter. So how does that fit?

Nevermind. It's a bearing thing, like I thought.

Last edited:
The diameter isn't a problem they fit into the axle tubes just fine. The problem is the added expense of changing to a 30 spline carrier.

the 30 spline street axle (have c-clip buttons after splines) is the same size as stock at the bearing (1.400") and most axles drop down in size after that and then drop down again just before the splines
once past the outer bearing the shaft is larger than stock (smaller than the bearing) and the spline area is larger than stock and requires a carrier for 30 spline axles . the 30 spline carrier is larger on the ID where the axles slide in and requires larger (on the ID) side bearings
you could run clip eliminators on the 28's or street 30s with the moser 9200 eliminators
if you go to a spool or non floating caliper disc brakes you need to do clip eliminators

30 race axles (no c-clip buttons at spline end) are meant for eliminators only are 1.535 at the bearing and require the larger moser 9000 clip elims

I see. I was just checking out my options when I have my rear inspected. (on my car that is) Trying to weigh the options of the clutch rebuild kits for my factory posi, which I hear are actually really good rear end units, or the slightly more than double the price new Eaton rear end. I'm trying to figure out if I could get away with the factory axles and just a clutch kit and be done with it or not. Launches on the street will never be as violent as they are on the track so I'm just weighing my options.