Motor Mounts

SyHopeful

I'm your huckleberry.
Is there a simple way of changing them with the engine still in the car, or am I going to have to resolve myself to the fact that it may be so frustrating I'll voluntarily commit seppuku?

no reason to yank the motor out ot really dissasemble things i found it helpfull to have some way to raise the engine made things much easier
either a boom or a jack under the pan or i used the torque strap hooked over a 2x4 stradled from the rad support to the firewall (couple small blocks under the ends ) , with the ratched i was able to crank the engine up once the thru bolt was out and had more room to go after the block bolts . a fwd stradling engine lift would be perfect
driverside isnt too bad , passenger wasnt much fun , I disconnected the battery cable and the pos connection at the starter and went up and then out that way with the mount

Doing the motor mounts with the engine in the car is quite easy.
All I did was get a wood block, put the car up on jack stands, put the jack and board under the pan. I loosed the two center bolts holding the mounts to the frame rail and then pulled the driverside bolt out. Jacked up the engine until the bolts holding the mount to the block were looking back at me. I forget to mention, I pilled the tires off. Do the same for the other and it goes quick.

The only part I remember that was a little difficult was getting the passenger mount out once I took all of the bolts out. Other than that, it was quick once i got going.

make sure you loosen your torque strap! also its helpful to remove the trans mount as well

Originally posted by Reaper
make sure you loosen your torque strap! also its helpful to remove the trans mount as well

Don't have a torque strap and I am replacing the trans mount too :D

an other ting to think about, this is really an easy project but when it comes to older motor mounts that hav been smashed by 17 years of abuse. leave the bolt that holds the motor to the frame jack the motor up to stretch the mount remove the 2 bolds that bolt to the motor.

i fought my mounts cause of this but after i got the mount stretched it was much easier

You might want to consider HR parts motor mounts instead of stock ones. You won't need the tiedown strap and will never need new motor mounts again. Just a thought.

Originally posted by 2 SLOW
You might want to consider HR parts motor mounts instead of stock ones. You won't need the tiedown strap and will never need new motor mounts again. Just a thought.

I'm seriously considering that myself. It stinks that I just installed new motor mounts & trans mount. I probably should replace all 3 with poly mounts and be done with it.