MSD distributor

FatNasty231

in the latest issue of GM high tech performance, they featured a 1986 GN. upon reading the article and looking at the pics., i noticed he was running a MSD dist. and single coil. the only dist. i saw from MSD was for the v6 90 degree engine. has anyone ever converted from the factory coil pack? if so what coil and dist. did you use? any input would be helpful.

I've seen some of the stage guys running a dist. Would seem simple enough to do if your running a FAST system or anyother stand alone. HTH Jon Hanson

Don't forget the added expense of an aftermarket crank trigger.

Msd

You can use the stock crank trigger . It will definetly work with the XFI and
have been told it will work with the classic FAST . You also need a MSD box
6T, 7AL etc that is V6 compatable.

The distributor doesn't need to be "triggered". In fact, the car will run without the distributor even plugged in. the coil needs to be triggered by an aftermarket ignition box that gets it's signal from the points output of the aftermarket ecu.
In addition to what Dan listed, you will need our distributor adaptor plug or else rewire a few things.

The distributor doesn't need to be "triggered". In fact, the car will run without the distributor even plugged in. the coil needs to be triggered by an aftermarket ignition box that gets it's signal from the points output of the aftermarket ecu.
In addition to what Dan listed, you will need our distributor adaptor plug or else rewire a few things.

Cal, does the dis itself have to be modified in anyway ?

How's the distributor triggered?

Cal sells a plug and play kit that uses your stock harness for the conversion. There is a connector that goes into stock cam sensor connector which then you hook into the distributor. Then there is a dead end connector for the former ingnition module connector.

And you retain your stock crank sensor like Dan stated.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Cal, does the dis itself have to be modified in anyway ?

Not if you are running B2B (just leave it unplugged). If you are running SEFI, most people use the distributor for a cam signal. This involves grinding all the reluctors off but one.

Here is a picture of mine and Cal was a big help in getting me going. I definitely do appreciate all his help and support he gives.

Steve

Attachments

• Street car engine.JPG
    Street car engine.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 303
So what does it take to run on on a bone stock car can I get a parts list:biggrin:

There are extensive mods to run a distributor, i did a thread on it a while back. Unless your running low 10's or faster, i would not go through all the work again. I'm sure it would work with BS3. The tensioner has to be carved up pretty good, , coolant sensor relocations, bypass hose, fuel lines, new wires, distributor mods to reluctor, intake pipe mods. Its not a 5 minutue install. The main advantage is my rev limiter/two step actually works safe now on the dfi, instead of voilent popping. There is a hp gain also but i haven;t documented it as of yet.
I will find the link again.