Muffler help...

Cool87GN

My GN has the Hooker catback on it with sorry Flowmaster mufflers. I want to swap out the mufflers and need some suggestions (looking for some free flowing mufflers with little to no back pressure). Thank you,

Ultraflows...

Steve, these are made by what company and where can I get them on the cheap (or cheapest)? Thank you,

most definately ultraflows. theyre made by dynomax, and, if you search around, you can get em dam cheap. the local tuffys has em, and one day, i came in, they were on sale for like 50 something each. i usually order my mufflers either from ebay, or summit. keep lookin, you can find em for around 50-60 each on certain days. theyre the standard in my opinion.

I found them...

I found them on the Jegs & Summit sites. They are $69 each. Still not bad. I'll just have to hack off the Flowmaster junk and clamp them on. Thanks,

Hooker Catback...

What's wrong with Hooker catback with the Super Competition turbo mufflers? Is this a decent system with minimal back pressure?

how is the sound levels witht the ultraflows vs. dronemasters? Do they drone as bad as dronemasters w/o a cat?

87GN_70GS said:
Hooker MaximumFlows are the same type construction, and might be cheaper.

According to my summit catalog, page 61 says "Hooker Maximum Flow's flow 595 cfm.
According to www.dynomax.com the welded ultraflow flows 1133cfm's
100% Aluminized Inside and Out

Heavy Gauge, Hand Welded Case

Straight Through Design for
Maximum Flow

Aggressive Sound Level with a
True Performance Tone and
Minimal Resonation

what would you rather have? :confused:

Blaze said:
According to my summit catalog, page 61 says "Hooker Maximum Flow's flow 595 cfm.
According to www.dynomax.com the welded ultraflow flows 1133cfm's
100% Aluminized Inside and Out

Heavy Gauge, Hand Welded Case

Straight Through Design for
Maximum Flow

Aggressive Sound Level with a
True Performance Tone and
Minimal Resonation

what would you rather have? :confused:

I just ordered those in 3" from Torque Tech today...along with the cat-back setup. Off with the Flowmasters.....

exhaust

Get the cat-back system from grand sport club of A, mandrel bent pipes in 2 1/2" and I think 3". Great set and nice tone.
Diver

Blaze said:
I think you made a wise decision :biggrin:

from what I have read, me too. I have flowmasters on my smallblock Chevy and they work great and sound awesome. But for Turbo Buicks, I'm seeing they're not the way to go.

mufflers

I have Walker ultraflows in my systems, nice setup, made for turbo cars, but I use them on a 82 Regal Sport Coupe with sbb running mid 13's in 1/4.
Diver

"According to my summit catalog, page 61 says "Hooker Maximum Flow's flow 595 cfm.
According to www.dynomax.com the welded ultraflow flows 1133cfm's"

From what I've read, you should never trust the CFM numbers because it is different when they put it on a flow bench compared to when they are actually on the car. That's what I have read several times anyway - 5.0 Mustang did a test several years ago and some of the ones that they SAID flowed oh-so-great were at the back of the pack in horsepower gains. If I remember correctly the Walkers scored pretty high in the pack, and had some of the more reasonable prices too :)

What is the model number?

I want to order the ultra flows from Jegs, but I don't want to get the wrong ones for the hooker catback system. Can somebody help me out before I order the wrong ones? Thank you, :confused:

I too have the hooker cat back with the super comps and would like to replace them with the ultraflows. My car is 4 states away so I can't measure them to know what replacemets to order. Any help would be appreciated. TIA

Rick

According to www.dynomax.com the welded ultraflow flows 1133cfm's"

Hooker claims that the 595 cfm number is 1-2% away from that of the same size straight pipe. The construction is straight-through perforated pipe with packing. I don't see how, if the two were tested equally, the dynomax will flow almost double that of a straight pipe. The hp numbers given in the dynomax catalog show 2 numbers; with 1 muffler and with 2, and the 2-muffler number is double that of the 1-muffler number. So I think the cfm numbers quoted are for 2 mufflers and 1 will flow 566 cfm.