Mustang Haters!!!

gn87turbo

Posted a simple video of my car on youtube and appartently it has no horsepower says a mustang guy. Please read the comments section and post a comment if you want :)

Now, don't take this the wrong way, an 11 second GN is an impressive street car, and having bought a new 87 GN in 87, I know how much work (and by looking at what you've done to it, LOTS of money) was necessary to run that first 11! Having said that you have to look at what cars are currently out there, what they run and the small amount of money needed to get them into the 11's. A new 5.0 Mustang is over 400 HP from the factory, and you can find deals on them for under $30K. They run mid to low 12's on a cool day and a decent track, and a simple $800 or so gets you a NOS system, that puts them into the mid-high 11's, Camero's are basicly the same, and even a Hemi anything with the same NOS system is pushing the 11 sec. zone.

For example here's a stock 2013 5.0 with X-Pipe, tune, and DR's going 11.80's!....all for $1-1.5K!

You buy a new BOSS 302 for around $40K, the new deal here is a Hellion twin turbo system INSTALLED for under $12K and it makes 750+ HP at 9 lbs. of boost, and 835 HP at 12 lbs. For $10-$20K LESS than the 2013 Shelby GT 500, you have as much power as they have after they add on all the bolt on's they use to run 9 second passes.

02-hellion-twin-turbo-mustang-585x388.jpg

The GN's are fantastic cars, to pull the power we do out of a DATED V6 is a labor of love. BUT, having said that, there is much faster and in the long run, cheaper ways of doing it on 4 wheels.

I run 103mph in the 1/8 so far at 22psi and I dont think I have enough HP yet...

Bryan

I run 103mph in the 1/8 so far at 22psi and I dont think I have enough HP yet...

Bryan

Phoneguy, just for the hell of it...what has all those parts and installation cost you to be able to run mid-low 10's at 130 in the quarter?.... Just a rough guess would be OK! I'm quite sure the BLOCK WORK alone was a significant amount of change!

After a couple of "learning experiences" , 2 motors, 2 transmissions, etc...I have spent about 40k on this car including the 17k for the purchase of the car. WAY more than I needed to spend. It was built to run mid 9's, I just need the right people to help me get there with the tune and some seat time.

Bryan

She moves out nice. Reminds me back in the day I was running 11.80 @ 116 and beating up on a nice Mustang that trapped 121 in the low 12's. The Mustang guy commented that he couldn't believe how hard the Buick came out and just pulled away. I commented I was very impressed by his MPH.

I have well under 15k in my GN that runs mid 11s. No way i could buy a mustang or camaro for that and get an 11 sec time slip cause ive owned both thru the years and understand what it takes to get them there. No matter how dated my gn gets, wouldnt trade even for one of the others. I understand what you are saying, i really like the new 5.0 mustangs. heres my question, does it really matter how fast you trap in the quarter? My car has many upgrades to make it hook up. At the end of the day, love my buick and maybe most new stangs could beat me if we ran a half mile but i like the quarter for now.

Truth be told its not a fair comparison taking a 25 year old platform and comparing it to a far newer Mustang. Don't matter how much $$$ you throw into it its still a 215 year old platform. A fairer comparison would be a 1987 Turbo regal against a 1987 Mustang GT.

Better yet, when it comes down to value compare what a stock 1987 Mustang GT 1987 is valued at against a stock 1987 Grand National. Now your comparing apples to apples...were the values and power really gets people in an uproar is over at the Corvette camp....87 Corvettes are at the low end of the value chain.....

Don't get me wrong Ford has done their homework....and all the car magazines have jumped on the comparisons between the Camaro and the Mustang...

At least in America you got choices!

Way to go.....nice time, nice run.....saying "no horsepower" means you politely made him eat his own "horse***t".

Nice run....and...very nice GN......great, love it, good job, you da man!

Bruce '87 Grand National

Way to go.....nice time, nice run.....saying "no horsepower" means you politely made him eat his own "horse***t"./quote]

Sour grapes. Ya, the brandy new Mustangs are powerful etc but they are very expensive. You can get a nice TB for around 10k and run in the 11s which in NOT slow. Not a bad deal in my bood. I agree with Dennis, not a good comparison. Compare the new Mustang to other new cars.

Like I tell the idiots around here. "Horse power sells cars but torque wins races" Most people wont line me up and always have an excuse as to issues with their 500hp cars.

That's right.......torque is how "quick" you get up there....horsepower is how much to "keep" you there....always rate your engine by torque, not horsepower......Torque always wins out (at least in this neck of the woods.)

Bruce '87 Grand National

All fast cars are a hoot...different makes, models, looks etc...that's what makes the world go round. But I'll tell you this for sure, I take my GN
to probably one or two car shows a month here in South Florida, and it gets more attention and admiration than any of the dozens of Rustangs
all around the place. I would say it's a matter of taste and appreciation of class....it's just a special kind of animal !!!
and....it's so much fun having stang for lunch with a 10 sec daily driver...:)