My 6262 ate itself.

Oil feed restrictor fitting which goes on top of the turbo, at the center section, and reduces the amount of oil supplied to the center section.

I did not know BB turbos need less oil to them. The fitting that became clogged came with the turbo when purchased?

I did not know BB turbos need less oil to them. The fitting that became clogged came with the turbo when purchased?

Flooding a BB turbo with oil slows down the spool up as the bearings have less drag with a mist of oil vs. being flooded with it.

On a side note since oil systems are also being discussed here.
In the early 90’s, Dan Strezo, formally of PTE and now of course owning DLS, was the first of the engine builders of that era on the V6 engine to recognize the problems of the factory oil filter and bypass system. Dan brainstormed the PTE remote oil filter to add oil capacity and much better filtration to the retalativy small oil pan and factory sized filter of the 600 to 1000hp + engines we were building in the 1990’s Not to mention the system allowed us and the customer to select from a wide variety of racing filters, and still does today. The extra line for the turbo was added very soon after the first units were built on engines. The line direct from the filter to the turbo eliminates the chance any bypass oil getting to the turbo. Back in those days most of the customers did not really understand why that was such an issue. With the added capacity and location of the filter, the system benefit is a bit of cooling to the oil. In almost all cases in our shop we also eliminated the oil cooler in the radiator that always seemed to be another source of debris from of course the customers failed engine we just rebuilt. Since PTE introduced the oil system some 15 years ago, thousands have been sold and regardless of what improved oil system you use on the car; it should an improvement over factory.

Harry

Harry,

Is the PTE (only)turbo saver needed for warranty to be valid?

I have one. But I am sure others need to know.

Flooding a BB turbo with oil slows down the spool up as the bearings have less drag with a mist of oil vs. being flooded with it.

In the early 90’s, Dan Strezo, formally of PTE and now of course owning DLS, was the first of the engine builders of that era on the V6 engine to recognize the problems of the factory oil filter and bypass system. Dan brainstormed the PTE remote oil filter to add oil capacity and much better filtration to the retalativy small oil pan and factory sized filter of the 600 to 1000hp + engines we were building in the 1990’s Not to mention the system allowed us and the customer to select from a wide variety of racing filters, and still does today. The extra line for the turbo was added very soon after the first units were built on engines. The line direct from the filter to the turbo eliminates the chance any bypass oil getting to the turbo. Back in those days most of the customers did not really understand why that was such an issue. With the added capacity and location of the filter, the system benefit is a bit of cooling to the oil. In almost all cases in our shop we also eliminated the oil cooler in the radiator that always seemed to be another source of debris from of course the customers failed engine we just rebuilt. Since PTE introduced the oil system some 15 years ago, thousands have been sold and regardless of what improved oil system you use on the car; it should an improvement over factory.

Harry

Great 411, thanks! Clarifying...the remote turbo oiling system helps both the turbo and engine?

Harry,

Is the PTE (only)turbo saver needed for warranty to be valid?

I have one. But I am sure others need to know.

When you are asking about “warranty” What are you expecting to be covered by a manufacture? With Oil systems we want to save you money! not spend it on repairs.

Harry

Harry

Imteresting. I have never run anything but a PF52 and everything else stock. Luckily nothing has happened so far.

Someone was saying these are on backorder at PTE? This may be a good time to do a group buy. :D I just got a BB turbo too and would get a Turbo saver for insurance.

They won't warranty it unless you show proof that u bought their (PTE) kit to save ur turbo. Otto was informed by Hartline today that if I didn't show proof of ordering it my warranty would be void if the turbo fails. Another thing to buy...

I just noticed this in earlier post. I was asking if this was a true statement.
If it is it is just good for the members to know.

1. So they know the importance of the turbo saver.
2. So they know if it has to be a PTE. turbo saver

with a $1500 to $2500 cost I believe the expense of the turbo saver to be a no-brain-er.

I am not asking what the warranty covers or not.
But if there is no shot at being coverd under warranty with out a PTE turbo saver.

Great 411, thanks! Clarifying...the remote turbo oiling system helps both the turbo and engine?

Yes Sir,

That was and always has been the benefits of the system. Of course there have been many others building systems but we do not evaluate them.

Harry

They won't warranty it unless you show proof that u bought their (PTE) kit to save ur turbo:rolleyes:. Otto was informed by Hartline today that if I didn't show proof of ordering it my warranty would be void if the turbo fails. Another thing to buy...:rolleyes:

Providing warranty coverage on debris in the oil or in the air is a difficult situation for all parties involved. Dirty air and oil are really not a manufacturing defect.
When we work on a turbo within the warranty period the customer many times forgets about his responsibility to provide the turbo with a friendly environment to operate in. PTE has the option to cost a repair out (at cost), to lessen the financial impact to the customer. Since the factory oil system on a Buick has issues we typically encourage the customer to invest in a remote system to help prevent future problems. We do not require our oil system or anybody’s system to be on the car for warranty consideration. Considering that we double and triple the horsepower outputs on these engines on a regular basis. Its fair to say that lots of debris are going to in the oil at some point and they need to stay out of a turbo that is spinning at 100k plus. When we have made repairs at our cost, we have mentioned to the customer that it’s in his best interest to purchase and install an oil system if they want future consideration. At this point we have invested time and $$ into the program as well. To us it is black and white, but it can get a bit confusing to the customers when so much info is out there on both sides of the topic, many times by good people. Yet also by many that have never seen the inside of a turbo and make claims that lead customers down the wrong road. If our venders make statements about our policies that are a stretch, maybe read between the lines. Warranties are never fun. If vendors are selling our kits they do not make much of a profit, because there is little or none after shipping. They simply want you to have a hassle free new turbo!

Harry

I have complete faith you will treat all of us right, Harry. Thanks for posting up! Good post and good info!:cool:

Good news and bad news.....

The good news is PTE repaired my turbo under warranty and there will be no cost to me except shipping. The turbo is on it's way back to me. Thank you very much PTE as you did not need to do that. As I told you on the phone, the fault was probably mine, and my turbo was outside the year warranty by about a week. Thank you!

The bad news is I pulled my pan and have metal material in there. There was metal material on the oil pickup screen. I pulled the rear main and have SLIGHT grooving to the bearing. The crank looks okay. I pulled the #5 rod bearing and it appeared slightly better. I will roll a set of bearings back into the bottom end. I will then take the intake off and completely flush the motor out. Clearly a slight amount of material got through the pressurized side of the motor, but I will be okay.

Great to hear. About 10 years ago Harry rebuilt my TA49 for $100 while I waited, NICE!!!!!!

Harry asked that I remind people to filter their oil prior to the turbo to avoid the problems I had. Since they have treated me so well, I will honor his request and once again post that it's important to filter the oil prior to turbo, especially prior to a BB turbo with the small oil restrictor fitting. This stuff would have never happened if I had done what I was supposted to do. I've corrected the problem. I hope I can save other people grief, as I am now going through a re-bearing of my motor right now. Thanks. I have done my civic duty. :D

On the other hand if you didn't have an issue with the turbo, you never would have found out you have something going on with the bottom end.

Good news and bad news.....

The good news is PTE repaired my turbo under warranty and there will be no cost to me except shipping. The turbo is on it's way back to me. Thank you very much PTE as you did not need to do that. As I told you on the phone, the fault was probably mine, and my turbo was outside the year warranty by about a week. Thank you!

The bad news is I pulled my pan and have metal material in there. There was metal material on the oil pickup screen. I pulled the rear main and have SLIGHT grooving to the bearing. The crank looks okay. I pulled the #5 rod bearing and it appeared slightly better. I will roll a set of bearings back into the bottom end. I will then take the intake off and completely flush the motor out. Clearly a slight amount of material got through the pressurized side of the motor, but I will be okay.

was the metal in the motor from the turbo? or did the metal in the motor hurt the turbo?