My 83 T Project

Has anyone had any success converting their hot air carbed car to a blow-thru, intercooled carb car? I know it's been discussed alot, but I haven't seen anything finished. If not, what's the biggest obstacle? If so, what were the results?

Has anyone had any success converting their hot air carbed car to a blow-thru, intercooled carb car? I know it's been discussed alot, but I haven't seen anything finished. If not, what's the biggest obstacle? If so, what were the results?

yea blow thru is no biggy. its actually much easier to set up than the draw thru. the hard part is the expensive blow thru carb or box. power results are comparable to an 86/87 GN might be better or worst depending on variables.

needs

1. blow thru carb or pressure box.
2. 86/87 exhaust manifolds and cross over.
3. MSD 6AL BTM
4. boost referanced carb rated fuel pressure regulator.
5. 86/87 turbo.
6 intercooler optional.

mind you, you need to have some fabrication skills but thats the gist of it. its really easy, but you need to have the bottom end to support it.

A.j.

The MSD6a (6200) and BTM that I have should be fine, right? There's most likely a post, but what is the recommended carb for this? I saw the link for modifying the holley 4150/4160 link on another post, but what is the best starting point? What about fuel pump? My brother is good at fabbing whatever may be needed. I just want to get some ideas before I even ask.

The MSD6a (6200) and BTM that I have should be fine, right? There's most likely a post, but what is the recommended carb for this? I saw the link for modifying the holley 4150/4160 link on another post, but what is the best starting point? What about fuel pump? My brother is good at fabbing whatever may be needed. I just want to get some ideas before I even ask.

Yes your MSD system will work perfectly for blow thru. The carb Mods you saw are for DRAW THRU use, not blow thru...

it depends on so many other variables before anyone could make an accurate guess as to what carb to use. how do you want the engine? how fast are you wanting to go? what is your ultimate goal?

tooo many other questions to ask beofre getting to that point.

A.j.

Thanks, I see that now. I saw the post about a blow through setup, then saw the link. I'm going to get what I've got working for now and see where that goes. I would think consistent mid 12's or better would be a realistic goal for a BT since DT is capable of 13's and high 12's. Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth the effort. I was really just curious to see if anyone has already done it with the carbed v6. Honestly don't think I'll mess with it on the 83, but would like to learn more about it for another project down the road.

Thanks, I see that now. I saw the post about a blow through setup, then saw the link. I'm going to get what I've got working for now and see where that goes. I would think consistent mid 12's or better would be a realistic goal for a BT since DT is capable of 13's and high 12's. Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth the effort. I was really just curious to see if anyone has already done it with the carbed v6. Honestly don't think I'll mess with it on the 83, but would like to learn more about it for another project down the road.

it just depends on so many things! LOL I know that feeling all to well! The blow thru system is by far the easiest to get going and make the power, I would honestly say the cheepest route as well. 12s should be no big issue to reach on a stock 86/87 turbo and a good carb. Ive heard rumors of the DT system taking cars into the 11s but have yet to see any proof. At the moment, Charlie would be the closest to true 11 or 10 sec setup. Im trying to follow behind in a different sort of way but have really gotten off track lately. But just looking at your pics, Id like to pull that carbed turbo motor and drop it right into that elcamino hiding in the background!

A.j.

it just depends on so many things! LOL I know that feeling all to well! The blow thru system is by far the easiest to get going and make the power, I would honestly say the cheepest route as well. 12s should be no big issue to reach on a stock 86/87 turbo and a good carb. Ive heard rumors of the DT system taking cars into the 11s but have yet to see any proof. At the moment, Charlie would be the closest to true 11 or 10 sec setup. Im trying to follow behind in a different sort of way but have really gotten off track lately. But just looking at your pics, Id like to pull that carbed turbo motor and drop it right into that elcamino hiding in the background!

A.j.

Aj and I have a friendly attitude of sorts. Just imagine what the two of us would do if we were closer to each other.:eek: :biggrin: If I ever get this thing together I have a feeling it's gonna set more than a few people on their @sses. LOL Aj is doing a simular draw through but I'm trying to keep mine looking as stock as possible so it won't look like it's modified. Aj's is a more obvious set up and I'm curious how it's gonna work since it's in a very light chasis. When he gets it done I have a feeling there will be some traction issues because it's a light rear. When you get to that point Aj I may need to come visit and set up your rear supension for you. I kinda specialize in supension. Some neat tricks other than the normal slappers.

I would like details!

What's the big plan for the draw thru's? I've always wanted to port and polish the fluck out of everything and see what it is REALLy capable of

Aj and I have a friendly attitude of sorts. Just imagine what the two of us would do if we were closer to each other.:eek: :biggrin: If I ever get this thing together I have a feeling it's gonna set more than a few people on their @sses. LOL Aj is doing a simular draw through but I'm trying to keep mine looking as stock as possible so it won't look like it's modified. Aj's is a more obvious set up and I'm curious how it's gonna work since it's in a very light chasis. When he gets it done I have a feeling there will be some traction issues because it's a light rear. When you get to that point Aj I may need to come visit and set up your rear supension for you. I kinda specialize in supension. Some neat tricks other than the normal slappers.

no leafs for me..... im almost on a 3 link with a watts link and bags all around...... might need help with adjustment though........

A.j.

What's the big plan for the draw thru's? I've always wanted to port and polish the fluck out of everything and see what it is REALLy capable of

Here Useta.......... A small teaser..... Can we say.... "ROTO"?

61f.jpg

A.j.

That looks completely stock!:rolleyes: Is that going into a luv truck? That sounds like a great combo. Those lil' trucks are very cool. My bro finished and painted one a long time ago with V8, tunnel ram and 2 4's on it. It was tubbed with a stepside bed and bright yellow. As for the elcamino, it's got a big block in it that was built for a pull truck. It's stout, but I have no idea what the deal with it is. It belongs to a cousin, but it's just been sitting there for a couple of years. I had nearly decided to put the T's engine over into my 66 GTO clone so that I could take it to the GS nats as a hybrid, but like I said, the 83 has sentimental attachment. I've got a 350 buick that I may put in the goat...I've got a decent 400 and a rebuildable 455 pontiac for it though:confused: . But a blow through buick engine (3.8 or maybe the 350) would be cool:cool: . I have alot of stuff lying around that I intend to get organized and pieced together. I've spent the last two summers building my garage (mostly by myself) so that I can start getting some of this junk functional.

Charlie, I hope you get it ready for next year. I live near BG. I'd love to see some of the older turbo buicks cruising town.

no leafs for me..... im almost on a 3 link with a watts link and bags all around...... might need help with adjustment though........

A.j.

Gotta beter idea for you Aj. I'll email the info after this week end. Easy set up and almost no maintainance or tractions issues. You don't even have to worry about pinion angle with what I have in mind. It does use a Watts link though.:biggrin: You might even be able to go around a corner REALLY fast.:eek: If I get lucky tomorow I'll get off early enough to send you the package I've got for you. I think your gonna have a fit when you see it. LOL It should help on one of your other projects.:biggrin:

I went to my 15 year reunion last night and the T-type came up in the conversation. That car has so many memories tied to it that we agreed it has to get back on the road, no matter how rough. These cars may not be considered fast by today's standards, but to a bunch of dirt-poor country boys in the early nineties, this one left an impression. It'll be awhile before I get to do anything to it, but it sure was motivational to hear old friends recall and exaggerate stories about it.:)

You mean they have schools in Ky? lol jk Glad to hear your gonna try to get her going again. Start tearing into her to see what you really need. I'd start with the gas tank 1st. If she's been sitting that long you need to clean it for sure. As far as fast you need to look up the turbo I'm building. I even found a 4 bolt exducer housing I'm thinking about using now. Much better flow going into the housing.

I went to my 15 year reunion last night and the T-type came up in the conversation. That car has so many memories tied to it that we agreed it has to get back on the road, no matter how rough. These cars may not be considered fast by today's standards, but to a bunch of dirt-poor country boys in the early nineties, this one left an impression. It'll be awhile before I get to do anything to it, but it sure was motivational to hear old friends recall and exaggerate stories about it.:)

Not sure which part of Ky you're from and what kinda parts you need, but I found this on craigslist if it would help. He emailed me and said it was still available. Just a little farther than I want to travel. HTH.

1983 buick regal t-type body

That is great. My personal goal has been to finish mine for my 20year reunion about this time next year.

Yeah, what's the metal under the back window look like? With my '83, the landau top was torn and let water seep down underneath the filler between the deck lid and rear window. The WHOLE area from quarter to quarter on my car needs replaced. I'll post up pics tonight when I get home. I hope your is not the same.