My 87 has a hot air hood insulator pad

87NAT

In Between GN's
I really never paid much attention to it but I just noticed that my car has a hot air insulator pad. I bought the car from the original owner and I dont think he ever changed it because the car was bone stock with only 20k on it. I have 33k on it right now. The insultor is MINT. I am kinda bummed. I want my car to have all of the 87 parts that its supposed to have. Do you guys the factory made a mistake?

I had this pic on my computer. Its kind of hard to see but you can see the square indention in the bottom of the pad.

Attachments

• Picture%20114%20%28Custom%29.jpg
    Picture%20114%20%28Custom%29.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 220
what month production is your car?

Could be a really really early production where they put the wrong pad on it. Or possibly hood damaged at the dealership and they had to put a hood on quick and took one of an 85 that didnt sell.

If you want to trash the old pad put me in line. :D:D:D

Jerry Berger

Do you guys the factory made a mistake?

I really doubt the factory made a mistake using an 84/85 hood insulator pad on an 87. Somebody changed it. I bought a used 85 hood insulator from a guy who also had it on an 87. My advice is to locate an 87 hood insulator and sell your 84/85. You should come out about even. Take care. Brad

somewhere somehow that insulator was swapped out.

if your car was an '86 model built in early August 1985, then I could see, that possibly, a carryover '85 insulator was installed. but no way could this happen to an '87 model during assembly.

somewhere somehow that insulator was swapped out.

if your car was an '86 model built in early August 1985, then I could see, that possibly, a carryover '85 insulator was installed. but no way could this happen to an '87 model during assembly.

I dont see how it could happen to a model 2 years out either. I am not going to call the original owner and ask him. I guess it will just remain a mystery.:)

really?/?

The original owner is a multi-millionaire who owns a trucking co. and an oil field service co. It took me over 3 months of leaving messages with his secretary for him to even call me back just to ask him about the car. It was just rotting away in a 5 car garage when I finally got thru to him and bought it. So...NO...I am not going to bother that man again.:)

87NAT- IMO- I would locate an original 87 hoodliner and get a set of buttons from Kirbans. Then sell your hot air hoodliner and you should come out cash wise even. The hot air hoodliners are way more rare than an 87. I paid like $425 delivered for a brand new hot air hoodliner six years ago. Brad