My car is crooked.

Welby

Just like it says, my car sits about 2" lower on the right than the left. Not just one corner, but the whole right side. I think the shocks are worn out, but really don't see them as being a major factor. Think both springs on the right could be worn out, or would just one coil affect the whole side? :confused:
Was thinking about getting an airbag for the right-rear and loading it up to bring things back in order. Dumb idea, or common fix?
Haven't checked the body all of the body mounts, but the ones in the back I looked at look fine.

Any tips would be appreciated :D

Mark (the guy with the leaning car)

You can start putting on new stuff, shocks, bodymounts and such, which is a good thing. The air bag idea is a good one. Will bring up the whole side. I used some fat spring isolators on my rear spring to fix mine. Off by an inch or so.

Hmmmm... Interesting. But that would put her in the driver's seat, and I'd be left standing on the side of the road watching a fat girl drive away in my now level car. :p

First thing I would do is measure height on the frame rails and see what variance you have in frame height from side to side. Unless you have coil over shocks or air shocks, they play no part in ride height. If frame measurements are off, you are looking at a coil problem. It is not unusual to see a front coil being bad and causing the car to settle down front and rear. GM engineers told us back in the 70's and 80's that the G body was designed with a running weight of 175 pounds. They figured primary use was 155 pound exec plus their 20 pound briefcase.
If it turns out to be springs, use a good quality replacement on all four corners plus some good shocks. Next have the car aligned because ride height will effect the settings. You will have a car that feels more new than it has it ages. Hope this helps some.

Mark

Originally posted by Welby
Hmmmm... Interesting. But that would put her in the driver's seat, and I'd be left standing on the side of the road watching a fat girl drive away in my now level car. :p

hahahahaha!!!!! That would not be a good thing. :eek:

I had a v6 Olds Gutless a few years ago and it had a similar problem. I first checked all the suspension and it all "looked" OK, so one day I swapped the right springs (front and rear) for the left springs, just to see if it would "fix" the problem...It didn't. The left was still lower than the right. So I knew there was something else wrong. I jacked the car back up and inspected the body mounts. The rears looked fine, but there are body mounts in the middle of the car that cannot be seen clearly. They are almot in the middle of the bottom door jam. I measured the difference between the body and bottom of the frame on both sides and found the pass. side in fact was lower than the dr. side...
Long story short, I took the pass seat out, lifted the carpet to expose the inner rocker panel under the carpet there. The body mount had give way under rocker there and bowed up the floor there. I found the problem, but it looked to be un-fixable... I riveted a peice of scrap metal over it, and sold the car a few weaks later. It didn't have extansive body rust or anything, which made me weary of every G-body I have baught since. This mount is VERY hard to see!!
I have a few pics of the problem I had with my Olds, if you would like to see them, shoot me an email at pebbles590@yahoo.com
I'll can't get them to attach to a post, or I'd throw them up.
Take the pass. side sill plate off, and you should be able to pry the carpet back enough to expose this spot...Check it and see.
Let us know when you find out the problem, nontheless.
John