My dark red 87 T finally "done"

Undercover87T

Maryland MAGNA Rep
Staff member
After a year of hard work my 87 T is finally "done".........at least for now. Bought the car Jan 1st this year with a knocking motor but perfect body work and interior. Fully documented from day 1 with all original paperwork, 86k on the body. I started gathering parts and pulled the knocking 3.8 in March and turned the key on the 4.1 in mid May. 100 miles later I blew the fresh stock trans. One thing led to another and the car wasn't road worthy again until earlier this month. Still have a few minor things to do yet but it's on the road and running great. Thanks goes to Banning Cohen for assembling the long block and head porting and Billy and Jeff at Anderson Performance for getting everything dialed in.

Mods:
Engine: 403rwhp 380ft lbs (safe tune: 18psi, 93oct only, old loose PTC converter unlocked)
83-84 4.1 291 block, stock 3.8 turbo crank/rods, ARP hardware, .030 TRW pistons, TA Performance timing cover/high volume oil pump, 212/212 Comp roller cam, 885 roller lifters, COMP valve springs, custom push rods, Harland Sharp 1.6 roller rockers, ported stock heads, Champion CNC ported intake, ported plenum/62mm tb, ADPP, Champion "GN1" valve covers, Metco breathers, 60lb injectors/TT 5.7, AEM wideband A/F, Walbro 340 pump, Accufab AFPR, TR Custom Parts intake pipes with LS1 MAF and translator, billet Precision PT6262E, Gbodyparts SLIC, Gbodyparts 3in downpipe/test pipe, Precision 46mm waste gate on crossover, dual 2.5in ATR exhaust, GN1 3 core aluminum rad w/ dual intrepid fans, vacuum brake conversion
Trans:
200R4, CK Performance street/strip rebuild kit/shift kit, all billet parts, TCS 9x11 3200LU converter, B&M aux cooler, deep pan.
Suspension/rear:
Front: stock, new upper a-arms/ball joints, front frame braces
Rear: Stock posi rear, UMI rear upper and lower control arms + rear sway bar + drive shaft loop, dual airbags, Kirban rear springs, pinion snubber, rear seat braces
Exterior: GN corners, clear markers, NOS T badges, all other badges left off, 35% tint, GTA "fronts" black w/ silver lip
Interior:
New carpet/seats/door panels/headliner, trunk kit, Poston GNX dash kit with VDO gauges, AEM A/F gauge, scanmaster 2.1, mini console, ashtray switch plate, t-top sunshades

Photo album of the progression start to finish here.
Before:
99112027.jpg

23061811.jpg

24439076.jpg

56084722.jpg

57252239.jpg

After:
75373205.jpg

11-28-12.jpg

townmall1111128.jpg

townmall1111122.jpg

87turbot.jpg

dsc02064wv.jpg

townmall1111127.jpg

WOW! That thing is beautiful!! And sharp! What a lot of hard work you put into it, and it sure shows.....I'd be proud as hell to have that Turbo Buick............I just love that color with the gray interior! I can only wish I could get my engine looking that clean and slick. Looks great with those GNX wheels. Thanks for posting the pictures, as I sure loved viewing them.

Really great job there.........I can see you really love that thing..........I'm actually feeling jealous!!!!:(

Bruce '87 Grand National

Thanks guys for the kind words. This is the first Turbo Buick I've ever owned and/or worked on so I'm very happy with the results. It's been one hell of a learning experience, both good and bad. Sadly by the time all the issues were ironed out I missed all but one show this year. I look forward to attending some events next year and making a pass down the strip for the first time.

About 2 weeks ago I had the car out one last time before the bad weather came in. Decided to take a short walk around video. Car had been sitting the day before and it was 25 degrees outside :eek:. It's now tuned and has a new TCS 9x11 converter thanks to Anderson Performance. Plans in the down time until spring include new turbo shield, radiator hold down plate, window tint, a pair of 255/60/15 MT ET streets for my T wheels, and possibly changing the ATR exhaust out for an RJC 3in cross flow system (yes the ATR is already spoken for if I remove it).

The car looks great. I have a 86 the same color. U shroud invest in a turbo blanket. The turbo will spool up much faster.

I really like that color a lot. If I ever got rid of mine, that would be my next color t. That is a nice car and the wheels really go great with it.

Did a couple more updates to the engine bay over the winter months to keep my self busy including a chrome turbo shield, GNS core support braces, GNS relay plate, and a Gbodyparts stainless radiator plate powder coated black. I have a TA Performance rear diff girdle, RJC 3in cross flow exhaust system, and 255/60 MT ET streets that will be installed soon. Also need to have the tint redone and give her a full detailing. More pics to come.
3-1-13_zpsff9940fd.jpg

Got some more accomplished today as I try to prepare for show season. I removed the old dual 2.5in ATR exhaust and decided to try the RJC 3in cross flow system. It's a nice system but I have some fitment issues I'll need to address to make it 100%. Sounds similar to the ATR system but I noticed a deeper, more aggressive tone and less drone while cruising. Will add a finished pic and video later. I also installed my TA Performance diff girdle while I was under there. Next round will consist of Alradco HID's and efans, 20% tint, and new tires for my T wheels. One day I want to call this thing finished o_O.

Old setup:
11-1_zps5937f006.jpg

Diff girdle:
12-1_zps7f87724e.jpg

RJC installed:
Sunset3_zps7134c5be.jpg

Sunset1_zpsd1fd37f1.jpg

Nice ride!!! Its like I'm looking at my 87 T! Same color, interior, wheels, and even the tires!! Yours is nicer though...:)