My mostly stock 86 TR vs Bolt on 98 Cobra

DrkBluT-TyPe

1986 Buick Regal T-Type
Well, I raced a 98 cobra last night, and I was pleased with the results. We went 1 from a dig, and 3 times from a roll....... :rolleyes:. Even though I don't have posi, I pulled him pretty good with my bald spinning peg leg. I only could boost to 2psi, any more and I would burnout and not go anywhere. The 3 roll races...ya, once I downshift/spooled...we were dead even. Very good and fun races. Hopeing to have a rematch soon with him from stop's, and me having a posi and a few other mods. Tell me what ya'll think!
86 TR vs 98 Bolt On Cobra

CObra I don't know, i think full bolt ons except headers and he was running open downpipe. My buick i know has cold air intake, 3 inch downpipe, exhaust, and everything stock, im running 22psi on stock turbo with 114 gas.
I willl get cobra mods soon.

Nice races... Doesnt look like you were break boosting from a roll.. Kinda hard to keep a steady MPH while doing it but if you get it down your results will be better. :)

Nah, i didn't brake boost from a roll, I'm sure if i did it would be insanely close race. I need to get the hang of it though. And i have a sotck converter.........lol :frown:

If you would have brake boosted you would have killed him. It looks like he only pulled at the start. Nice race

You suck at racing :biggrin:
I commented in the fish area, but didnt know you were on racegas, were you running a race chip with that racegas?
Seems when you were in front and hit the brakes he was going to catch you,
wonder if he would have?
Did you lock the convertor?
You should have brake boosted from a roll, damn youngins :biggrin:
BW

Um, ya i was knocking then, so i let off the gas then braked. I have stock converter, no race chip it should be in the mail at anytime now. Don't have experience with roll raceing. Did not lock up the converter.

Racegas and no racechip??????
Man, you would have put 3-5 cars on him from a roll with a decent chip if you boosted it up!
Keep the knock down and turn the boost up, what chip did you order?
RJC boost valve instead of a bigger convertor :rolleyes:
You need a rematch!
BW

O yes, im friends with the guy tht owns the cobra, i ordered maxeffort 8 postion. I need more experience with role raceing, i suck at it, but hey i got plenty of time to lern! thanks for the advice!

Good video, couple good runs for the way the car is set up. I am 16 too and everyone rags on me cause they think my GN is a grandma's car until they hear this F-16 flying by them... :p Get a posi and a race chip and some injectors and the race won't even be close. :cool:

My "a" key is broken so thts why im missing some a's lol. But ya, im in the process of getting bigger injectors. Any ideas of what size would be ideal?

Well im running 50lb'ers. I'd say 50's would be ideal because they would leave you a lot of growing room but thats my opinion.

My car has basically the same mods as yours stock converter, turbo, 3"downpipe, exhaust and all. With my dump pipe opened it seems like my car spools up twice as fast as yours does from a roll, maybe you could try opening your exhaust if you haven't already. Excuse my ignorance Quick 6 but is an rjc boost valve the same thing as a blow off valve? My car does have a bov btw.

pontiac69fb said:
Excuse my ignorance Quick 6 but is an rjc boost valve the same thing as a blow off valve? My car does have a bov btw.

We are all here to learn right? No problem man..
It is a newer style boost controller that makes your turbo spool faster than any other grainger style bleeders.
Nothing like a blow off valve.

http://www.rjcracing.com/RJC_Buick_Products/BoostC/boostc.html

One a buddies car, his car spools a TA49 turbo faster than the stock turbo used to spool using the rjc valve.

Thomas, you should purchase a set of bluetops, 009s or new new high z 60s, just depends on what you plan to run later on down the road and how many miles you have on your car.

I know people running low 12s on stock injectors running racegas, and then add meth even faster....Heck bluetops and a 44 are a good match, then add meth.
BW

Thx man. I read one of your threads showing your dyno, and ever since then I have been trying to set my car up like yours. Is there anyway you can email me a list of exactly all the things you have done to your car cuz im seriously jealous of your power, and want my car exactly like yours.

nowhatisthat@msn.com

small changes since it was on the dyno

it has a ATR 3" downpipe Terry houston knock off with full hooker 2 1/2 exhaust,maf hardpipe with 9" K&N airfilter,1 screen removed from the stock maf,ported lower intake,RJC power plate,new valve springs,new style SMC alky kit with external pump running pure methanol,BSTC to control the boost inside the car,PMAC trans with a 9/11 convertor locked up,and one of ERIC MARSHALLS TURBO TWEAK CHIPS!!!!!
28° in first and second 25° in third gear

Stock 60.00 turbo that i purchased from WAKKOSS over 2years ago on this board never been rebuilt Ported stock inlet bell.
Stock intercooler never been ported out, NO bigneck
Stock injectors, well they are green stripes but they are only 30#ers
Stock t-body and upper plenum
3550 without driver

Need to get 400HP at the rear tires then hit the track, need to get the boost above 20-21psi but i think the fuel pressure reg is bad...

I think the car will run better with more boost, just need to figure it out.

Take it easy.
BW