My new "pet"

Project TNX

An Arizona member at another board I post on sent me this bad boy. He traveled via UPS for a week in some serious cold weather and survived. He was upside down and not really moving though so I thought he was dead at first. What I am going to do with it, who knows, but holding it isn't one of them.

Upside down arrival
scorpion002.jpg

scorpion010.jpg

scorpion008.jpg

scorpion007.jpg

I need to name it, any suggestions?
scorpion005.jpg

He thought it was a Desert Scorpion, but I thik it's a Bark Scorpion, and their venom is much more severe. Had it been a Desert I was going to let it sting my arm, but I'm gonna have to pass on that now, no thanks.

Looks like a Pine Scorpion that we have down here in FL. They feel like Bee stings. Ask me I know. For some reason the only time I see one is when they sneak into bed with me. Insert sexual innuendo joke here.( No, little Eric and the twins never got bit.:rolleyes: )

Yeah, scorpions are creepy little bastards, I didn't think that until I slept in the same house with one last night, LOL.

His name is Stingy Stingerson, but "Pinchy" for short. :D

I'm 99% sure he's an Arizona Bark Scorpion, which is NOT what I wanted, but cool none the less.

Cool, but if an Emperor Scorpion is a 2 on his 1 to 3 scale, a Bark scorpion is a 7. :eek: It's actually too dangerous for me to keep, the guy that sent it thought it was a small desert hairy scorpion which has a sting equal to a honeybee. So Pinchy needs a new home, I can't risk it with small kids in the house. :(

I'm not a scorpion expert, but someone in one of those vids posted:
"The scorpion poison rule -
Big claws - Least venom in the tail.
Small claws - potentially lethal venom."
Don't know if it's true... :confused:

I'm not a scorpion expert, but someone in one of those vids posted:
"The scorpion poison rule -
Big claws - Least venom in the tail.
Small claws - potentially lethal venom."
Don't know if it's true... :confused:

It is, scorpions with small claws don't need the powerful ones because their venom is so quick and lethal. The Egyption Deathstalker is the most venomous and kills the msot people. The one I currently have is North America's most venomous and I don't want to be that guy on the news, LOL. For a halethy adult it just burns like hell, for the elderly, the sickly and children they can be lethal.

Yup, did a little reading on Wiki:
"The stings of North American scorpions are rarely serious and usually result in pain, minimal swelling, tenderness, and warmth at the sting site. However, the Arizona bark scorpion Centruroides sculpturatus, which is found in Arizona and New Mexico and on the California side of the Colorado River, has a much more toxic sting. The sting is painful, sometimes causing numbness or tingling in the area around the sting. Serious symptoms are more common in children and include abnormal head, eye, and neck movements; increased saliva production; sweating; and restlessness. Some people develop severe involuntary twitching and jerking of muscles. Breathing difficulties may occur. These symptoms usually subside within 48 hours, although stings from bark scorpions can be life-threatening."

Good pic here:
Arizona bark scorpion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :eek:

So what do you feed a scorpion anyway???

Purina Scorpion Chow, of course. :D

I lived in Tulsa while in College. I moved into a NEW apartment, and the first morning, there was a scorpion in the bath tub. Being car guys, (me and my older brother) we didn't have bug killer. AND being from Seattle area, we don't have scorpions. The only thing we knew about them, was that they would KILL you if you even looked at them. But.........Berryman B12 carburator cleaner kills them things, NO PROBLEM!! THen I find out that those Oklahoma stinging lobsters (scorpion) have just a bee sting to them. Still............Y'all can have them things! Now, if you want a REALLY cool new "pet", I'll send you one of these!

Attachments

• Bannanaslug4[1].jpg
    Bannanaslug4[1].jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 93