MythBusters - Crash Force - awesome test

trev0006

Banned
Video - MythBusters - Crash Force

Mythbusters crew decided to revisit an old myth that was drawing the ire of the show's fans for quite some time. And it's sure to be an interesting topic to automotive enthusiasts.

When two cars collide, each traveling 50 miles per hour, does the resulting force equal one car hitting an immovable object at 100 miles per hour?

It seems like such simple physics, no? But don't forget Newton's third law. To quote the great Wikipedia of knowledge, "Whenever a first body exerts a force F on a second body, the second body exerts a force −F on the first body. F and −F are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction." Or, more simply, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Thanks for posting. To me that was the best test I've ever seen them do. It sure taught me something!

Saw that episode last night and was really surprised at the outcome. I friggin love the show, and those guys are flat out mad scientists!!!!

I wasn't suprised because they were hitting an immovable object. I don't think the result would be the same hitting a parked car at 50mph vs two colliding at 50 mph. The parked car will "give" some and move. They should have left one of the weights at the bottom and just swung one towards it to compare the data.

I wasn't suprised because they were hitting an immovable object. I don't think the result would be the same hitting a parked car at 50mph vs two colliding at 50 mph. The parked car will "give" some and move. They should have left one of the weights at the bottom and just swung one towards it to compare the data.

Since the speed was doubled with 2 cars hitting each other at 50 mph the damage was the same because of the mass being doubled, splitting up the force among twice the mass.

I would like to have seen if a 2000 lb car hitting a 4000 lb car would have showed damage to the lighter car similar to 100 mph?

I thought before the test the damage would be similar to 100 mph impact. Never to old to learn.

if you want to see some automovie carnage, Mythbusters style, then find the clip of the rocket sled they sent into a car backed against a concrete wall at close to 700mph a couple of years ago.

Adam Savage was almost speechless after the impact- and that takes a lot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSVfYwdGSsQ