Neal, Morgan, Lou, Jeff, Ray

Intercooler Oil Soaked / PCV valve

Phil,

Did you check, cleanout your intercooler after you changed your turbo

Have you looked in your throttlebody bore for oily deposits

I had knock problems on my old GN from oil (turbo seal & PCV valve) getting into the throttlebody and messing up the octane rating of the fuel

How are your motor mounts?

As far as your boost issues:

Are you still running stock heads?

No matter how big you go on the new turbo, your engine can only process what the heads / cylinders will accept

Are you to tight on your wastegate arm? What size exhaust housing is on the new turbo?

Sorry for the 1000 questions

Later

Ray

Drip Pan said:
turbo--

I think what Phil was getting at was that he went through a series of three chips as he gradually upgraded his fuel system. Stock is GM/AC Delco, Thrasher is aftermarket. And, smog chips typically have different profiles than a stock chip.

Lou-- we did a cam inspection when Phil had the intake off, and all the lobes looked good including the #3 exhaust.
Reading this post is giving me a migraine LOL. OK you have a knock problem & everything has been checked & verified correct? Rumour has it that this car has high mileage? If it does has the timing chain been looked at? If not,Try this remove the cam sensor cap, Manually turn the engine clock wise a bit & then the other way. Observe how much travel in the crank till the Relucter/cam sensor shaft moves. If it moves considerably the chain is shot & perhaps rattling around causing the knock sensor to go off or effecting cam timing. Or just bring the car over to my shop & we'll figure it out. Lou

New problem! :rolleyes: Car wont run for sh*t, misses runs rough etc...
Changed coil pack, ignition module, spark plugs and now its able to run in a "limp mode." But definatly not well... boost has a fluttering effect? So maybe ECM?
Did a compression test today per Lou C. and all checked out good... A little high, could use some top engine cleaner but all were fine.

6-170
4-165
2-170
5-165
3-165
1-160

:confused:

its cool Phill, I am starting to have some issues too. Here is a thought, lets push our cars off a cliff, and tell the insurance companies they were stolen!!!

graza002 said:
its cool Phill, I am starting to have some issues too. Here is a thought, lets push our cars off a cliff, and tell the insurance companies they were stolen!!!
-----------------------------------
I am afraid to park near you guys anymore for fear that whatever evil, ghoulish, macabre, sinister haunting you guys have beneath your hoods is going to come over and haunt mine.
-----------------------------------
Just kidding, everybody. I know what a not so fun job it is to try and chase gremlins. Oops, no pun intended on that one. Andrew, yours sounds like a blown fuse. Philharmonic: yours really does sound like a haunting. You need to have that thing exorcised. Hope that things clear up for both of you guys.

ledzeppac said:
New problem! :rolleyes: Car wont run for sh*t, misses runs rough etc...
Changed coil pack, ignition module, spark plugs and now its able to run in a "limp mode." But definatly not well... boost has a fluttering effect? So maybe ECM?
Did a compression test today per Lou C. and all checked out good... A little high, could use some top engine cleaner but all were fine.

6-170
4-165
2-170
5-165
3-165
1-160

:confused:
The compression readings are high but even. So the next thing I would do is pull the valve covers & inspect the valve train & cam lift just like we discussed indications the other day pointed towards an internal problem. This is part of the diagnostic process. Start with the obvious
& keep digging till you find the problem. Stop whining & get to work. Lou

Wells said:
Andrew, yours sounds like a blown fuse.

Thats what I am thinking it is (or at least thats what I hope it is). Now Phill on the other hand....I am not too sure what else there is to check on that car.

turbolou said:
The compression readings are high but even. So the next thing I would do is pull the valve covers & inspect the valve train & cam lift just like we discussed indications the other day pointed towards an internal problem. This is part of the diagnostic process. Start with the obvious
& keep digging till you find the problem. Stop whining & get to work. Lou

10-4 Lou! I've been meaning to call you but I saw that you posted here before I could pick up the phone... I'll get those valve covers off and report back to you. My knee has been giving me trouble so I havn't had the will power to do it yet. Thanks for your help last week.
Phil

problems

graza002 said:
Thats what I am thinking it is (or at least thats what I hope it is). Now Phill on the other hand....I am not too sure what else there is to check on that car.

give me a call when you want to me to come over and check it out ;)

ledzeppac said:
10-4 Lou! I've been meaning to call you but I saw that you posted here before I could pick up the phone... I'll get those valve covers off and report back to you. My knee has been giving me trouble so I havn't had the will power to do it yet. Thanks for your help last week.
Phil[/QUOTE I will be gone a couple days leaving for Vegas to have Len Freeman build me a trans & suffer what ever humiliations that he has in store for me.You see I also have my Buick issues as my trans failed for no apparent reason. Well maybe it had a little bit to do with the alcohol that my engine consumed. I hope your knee gets better. Knees are the hardest joints to heal. Call me with the results. Lou

Hey Lou,where's your shop? I'm the new owner of a stock 87 GN and would like to run low 11's yet still drive the car on the weekends.

Led, you may also want to try and reach Joe Chuang (gofstbuick) in the emission section. He chased a detonation problem for months and finally figured it out. He may have a lead for you, or at least give you a healthy dose of sympathy.

gnjay said:
Hey Lou,where's your shop? I'm the new owner of a stock 87 GN and would like to run low 11's yet still drive the car on the weekends.

HE knows his stuff. :biggrin: Good luck with the car and welcome! Where are you located?

gnjay said:
Call me @ 949-378-1590 would be glad to spend some time & offer suggestions.
Regards Lou