Need advise, Racing an 11 sec Slowstang

BLACK DEATH DSR

I need some advise, I am getting the car ready to street race a 90s Mustang coupe with a 300 shot. I have a couple of questions on what I should get or do to the car. Here is my setup. Questions will follow. My car has PTE front mount, 55 Low imp. injectors, T62E turbo, ATR Headers & ext. wastegate, PTE 70 mm TB and plenum, Ported stock heads, has a cam 217 int. 211 ex at 445 - 442 lift, stock MAF, I have a ME 8 position chip & a Red Armstrong chip for 93 & 108 for the 55s, I have a transbrake & small stall conv, 3" straight dual pipe out the back of the car. Hot wired & better fuel pump. Air bag on the right side rear. I have direct scan too. Theres more but this is the bulk of stuff that matters. Questions.......

1. What size slicks should I get for this type of setup? 26x10 or 28x10 on 7" rims?
2. How much boost should I run with C-16 and be safe and how much shoud I put into the tank, 5 gallons or ????
3. How much boost should I launch with?
4. Any other thoughts would be helpfull too...

Thanks Mike

Race at real track!!!!

You will have real times!! With the mods you have (and the Mustang driver), the speeds are unsafe on the street. This won't be your average 120 foot kill, I'm sure both cars will be close to maxing out the driveline. Here are the other questions you forgot to ask:

5. Will they really keep my car since I got busted for racing?
6. Will the person I ran into sue me? My insurance company has dropped my policy!!
7. Should I just race him at a 1/4 track and see who has the lowest time.

I would run your tank almost dry and put in ten gallons of C16. Perhaps take a day off work and go to the track and tune your car with direct scan. I have seen an LX coupe GT 5.0 with a 250 shot, that car got pissed in a hurry!!!

28x10's (2) huh a 300 shot say.. well as much boost as ya can run C-16 will support 30 lbs if ya can run that much (3) as much as ya can leave on @ least 10 lbs (4) goodluck My buddy has ran a 200 shot on a tired 306 with 5 speed an ran a 11.0 @ 118 so you need to try to leave out hard with @ least 5 gal in the tank an watch 02's .. @ least 790-810's.. I would personally want @ least 26 lbs off boost!!

No track close by, its about 2-3 hours away. I would rather race their too. There would be nobody to hurt but ourselves, this would take place outside the city limits in the country. It is perfect for racing. Theres a concrete bride to launch off of.
So it would be better to get 28x10s than the 26, how come. I thought that the 28s would slow me down being that they are tall tires.

Well a 300 shot means he must have a pretty stout motor as well. Thats a good bit of juice. Still if he is running "only" 11's you have pretty much everything you need to give him all he can handle. When you said small stall converter like how small (ie 3000,3400)?
With a good smokey burnout with a set of 28x10's and a good 10lb+ launch with a good enough amount of boost say 25lbs+ or so you should be running very low 11's or better. You have any suspension work done? A set of LCA's and an aftermarket swaybar (ATR, H&R) would help alot.

GL

I have a similiar combo and 26-28# is the most boost I would consider running with your setup. It will be a close race since your setup should net a high 10's low low 11's quater mile. A 300 shot is not light and it will come to who comes out of the whole first. Good Luck keep us posted..

Mike Banas
87GN

with your set up you will go faster with 28 in tires. if the stang says hes running 11,s that means he is in the 10,s most likely.if you never raced your car before and its not tuned properly. you might consider doing so before you race this guy.

There would have to be an awful lot of money on the table for me to even think about racing on the street again. There is just way too much to lose, let alone money.
Having been a former stang guy, most of the stangs running a 300 shot :eek: are in the 10's or even 9's. People dont build their engines to handle a 300 shot without going all out. You really want to know what kind of suspension he has under there. Look for freeze plugs on his heads, in case he tries to tell you he's running ported stock heads or something. I would bet this guy is pushing at least 700hp.
Best way to beat your enemy, is to know your enemy.
Be careful out there.

I would do a solo run all by myself a couple of days before to see how the car feels and handles. Someone said he ran a high 11 on the spray at a track when it was a 5 speed. I really do not think he has a lot of money in the car. There are lots of people that spray the crap out of their cars to go faster and most of the time the motor lives. Cheap power gains for the less money.

I have been debating going to alky for on the demand when needed right there and then. I might do it later this year.

Bleack Death,
you know you want it, just do it now, and blow the wheels off that ford.

11's on a 300 shot is pathetic! No stocker can handle that-for long. He probably runs 11s on motor then the 300:eek:

Know your enemy

Originally posted by stroked347
11's on a 300 shot is pathetic! No stocker can handle that-for long. He probably runs 11s on motor then the 300:eek:

Know your enemy
i would agree. Todays stangs arent the joke they once were. The technology and aftermarket are wayyyy beyond whats out there for turbo buicks.:mad:

I agree, either he is lying about the shot or he has a dog (for a 300 shot) of a car that has a date with a fire extinguisher.

But the reason I am posting is, DO NOT run a 10" slick on a 7" rim. My 28x10's on 8" rims are not as stable as I would like on the big end (no tubes though) so I would think they would feel ridiculously loose on 7" rims. That being said, one time I raced a buddy of mine after in low 11 sec 71 Nova on these slicks, aired up about 17 psi for the drive home from the track. Then it happened.
The tires caught a groove in the road and the car pulled right hard in the middle of 3rd. It was all I could do to keep control of the car. It almost went all the way off the road and I knew I was gonna roll the car. But I was able to bring it to a stop. I got REALLY LUCKY.
I might go through a gear or two, but I will never do this again. Be safe.

I smoked his ass though.