Need engine rebuild in Denton area....

Charlie, Don went WOT. More importantly, he let me go WOT! I thought a tire had caught on fire at one point lol. Seems like Don's car has considerably more torque than mine. Definitely liked that. I may try to emulate his build pretty closely.

Does Arlington Machine or Watt's offer any sort of warranty on their work? If so, do they have to install and set it up in order to offer a warranty?

I thought Chet was going to get the fire department called on us with all the smoke!

Give Les Adams a call at Farris Racing Engines 817-221-1590. (Springtown, TX) Les has a LOT of experience with these engines, him and Tommy Phillips(Tommy is doing a little work out of Ferris' shop) have forgotten more about these engines than most people will ever know. Just give him a call and talk to him..........He's really down to earth.

Howard Farris moved his shop from Reno,TX to Springtown this year, so if the number above isn't current let me know and I will give you Les' personal number.

Charlie, Don went WOT. More importantly, he let me go WOT! I thought a tire had caught on fire at one point lol. Seems like Don's car has considerably more torque than mine. Definitely liked that. I may try to emulate his build pretty closely.
LOL Now you know why we've been trying to help you with the rebuild Chet.;) It's a basic upgrade/rebuild so it should be very reliable and give you more than enough power to be happy.:p As far as Arlington Machine goes you need to call them and whoever else you consider to rebuild the engine to find out about their warrenty.

I thought Tommy had retired some time ago. Wasn't he at Rhere and Morrison for a while?

I'm not sure if Tommy ever worked over there. I had him do some work for me the first time in 1995. Back then he ran PM(Performance Motors) on Coin St, South Ft Worth off 35W. He is....kinda..... sorta.... retired at 70 plus he deserves it!!! Man, what a machinist. The secrets that man has stored in his mind is incredible. He still looks just like he did back then, but he told me that he sure feels a lot older.

I'm from Dallas and have never heard of either of those cats...my pops did work with and for everybody back in the day (Gene Snow, Raymond Beadle, etc.). Calvert was a name, Buddy and David without question, Jimmy Allard, Charlie at the Farm Shop, Dennis Wells...none of those guys were LC2 builders though. I mentioned my guys because of first hand knowledge with turbo Buick stuff...Trevor and I both taught competition machining and built Buick engines here in Houston for LC and Kurtz (and all the stuff for me and my shop)...not to mention Trevor having his own T for a good while that he and Watt put together on that end of the world.

As far as warranties that someone asked about...don't know the policies of those shops. I can tell you that "real" race stuff doesn't carry a warranty typically...but street car stuff will within reason. As competitive as the LS market is now, shops like Mast and LME are offering warranties on their engine assemblies...but as with anything like that, there are qualifiers to keep that warranty valid. Turbo takes a shit and trashes the bearings...sorry, that one is on you.

I'll do it for you if you want to make a trip to Houston....up to you.

I did just have a flashback to my core guy that worked at Sun Engines forever....that dude could find any core you wanted...5 bolt bell 289 block, RA Pontiac stuff, sideoiler FEs...etc. His name was Joe Rakoczy. Man...that's been 20 years ago.

La8agn said:
I'm not sure if Tommy ever worked over there. I had him do some work for me the first time in 1995. Back then he ran PM(Performance Motors) on Coin St, South Ft Worth off 35W. He is....kinda..... sorta.... retired at 70 plus he deserves it!!! Man, what a machinist. The secrets that man has stored in his mind is incredible. He still looks just like he did back then, but he told me that he sure feels a lot older.

That shop is still there. I deliver across the street. I will take a walk over there and see if he still does machine work next time down there.

Sun Engines, where is that located?

I've had lots of stuff done by Arlington Machine but this was back when they were on Arkansas Lane.

Commerce and Industrial area for Sun...they are a big rebuilder, not necessarily a performance machine shop...but a friend of mine was one of the big dogs there and found some good stuff in the core stash on occasion.