need help asap

kevin

changed the cam in my daughters 84 gn,well i dont remember what plugs go where on hooking up the coil pack,cam sensor,crank sensor,inj,there is 3 plug ins that will hook up to any of them,thanks

k got the wires hooked up right and still no fire,checked all fuses and have 12 volts at the ign module i have looked all over and have everything plugged in and all grounds are hooked up,im lossed

What Ign coil/pak are you running? 84/85 or 86/87? I am running the upgrade and the wiring is different. Brad

Did you take the crank sensor off?

I would suspect that you took the crank sensor loose while changing the cam. Without proper adjustment of the crank sensor the coil/module may not fire.

Did you separate the coil and module during repair?

When you turn the key to the run position, are you getting the service engine soon light to come on?

If not then your ecm is not powering up? Is the ecm wire unplugged by the battery? Possible bad or loose grounds on the bottom of the a/c accessory bracket.

Please don't take these suggestions as "I think you don't know what you're doing." I'm just thinking of all the possible reasons for not getting fire.

Good luck and post back with updates be they successful or not so we can help diagnose the problem and maybe learn something in the process.

Jerry jr.

i just unbolted the crank sensor with the two bolts that hold the bracket to the motor.i think the service light is coming on i'll double check,grounds look ok.i unplugged the computer wire and plugged it back in it is ok,thanks for help and i dont know what im doing,lol

k i just checked sensors and im not getting no voltage out of the crank sensor.tried adjusting it with no luck.but i dont understand why it would go bad i still think its somethin else

Check your column, may not be in turned all the way/off a bit. This happens sometimes, won't let you start the car.

Did you touch anything else? before this happened?starter, relay etc

How about the cam sensor?

It's been a while since I changed the cam on my car but I recall having a heck of a time figuring out why the car wouldn't run afterward - and I had a Buick shop manual as a reference. No where in the 'Cam Replacement' procedures did it mention resetting the cam sensor. Turned out it was in the 'Driveability & Emissions' section. Go figure. Check out gnttype.org for instructions on how to set the cam sensor. (ECM and Sensor Information) Scroll down until you find info on adjusting the cam sensor in the Sensor Information section. (there are three parts)

Good luck.

Nick

ok the car will turn over but no spark,i set my cam sensor like i do my 86 t type,is it the same on an 84?also does the cam sensor have somethin to do with the spark on an 84?

ok the car will turn over but no spark,i set my cam sensor like i do my 86 t type,is it the same on an 84?also does the cam sensor have somethin to do with the spark on an 84?

The cam sensor is identical to the 86/87 and is set the same way. It tells the ECM the location of number one cylinder for spark timing on start up of the car. Once the car is running you can even unplug it. Brad

Read the first post in Basic Hot Air Info Sticky. It tells you how to find the no start problem and its causes. Brad

ok i changed my cam sensor lid and fired right up,ran in the cam fixed a couple vac leaks,then it started runnin a little rough and i shut it off to look for vac leaks went to start back up had an exhaust pop and now wont start,so the mission continues,i did move my crank sensor earlier hope i didnt get it to close have to look again tomorrow.