Need help buying a guitar for a 10 year old

Personally, for the price range you're in, i think that the Affinity series Squire Strats are better than the Epi's. This "Fat Strat" is the same thing as a regular Stratocaster, just with a humbucker pickup in the bridge position rather than a single-coil. As many of us has said, the humbucker will give a fatter, fuller tone and will offer more variety than having just 3 single coils.
Also, try checking out cosmetic blems or 2nds. Usually they have a small ding or scratch around the rim of the guitar or on the back of the body where a belt buckle would be. The price difference is often significant and to be realistic, a 10-year old is gonna ding it anyway lol.

Squier Affinity Series Fat Strat Electric Guitar and more Solid Body Electric Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

kTrain, you gave me the go ahead when I posted about a SG on my Nov 30 11:20 post!!! I've got so much info coming at me it's hard to keep it all straight anyway. I definately want a huckleberry thingy in there though! :cool: I think it's a good idea for me to go to a guitar store to check this stuff out before I buy anything. I might try to go over there tonight after playing basketball.

kTrain, you gave me the go ahead when I posted about a SG on my Nov 30 11:20 post!!! I've got so much info coming at me it's hard to keep it all straight anyway. I definately want a huckleberry thingy in there though! :cool: I think it's a good idea for me to go to a guitar store to check this stuff out before I buy anything. I might try to go over there tonight after playing basketball.

I wasnt saying that the SG was a bad choice or that you shouldn't get one, i was just curious as to how it was brought up in the first place because i thought you were originally only considering Strats and LPs. Either way, all of them are good. However, from what you've told me about your sons interests, your budget, etc., i think the Fat Strat is the best bet. It will be the most versatile and as i've said before - my personal feelings are that the lower-end Strats are better than lower-end LPs and SGs.