need help diagnosing whine from power steering pump

geenex

i have installed a reman power steering pump and after about 10 minutes of driving the fluid gets air-rated and the pump whines on turns. i also replaced the steering box and lines. any suggestions?

Check the feed line from the reservoir to the ps pump. Make sure it's not kinked.

Been there, done that.

Where did you get it? If it was Autozone or somewhere like that I dont see why they wouldnt swap it for you.

There was an updated reservoir from GM to fix the whine, I think the inlet and outlet ports were on top of one another rather than side-by-side. I'd have to check mine (it's not updated but hasn't given me trouble, but my black car used to do exactly what you describe.)

i would be interested in the updated resevoir. it seems the one i have is the side by side design. some thing else i noticed is, the higher i fill the resevoir the longer the time before the fluid is air-rated. to be clear i have filled it slightly above the full but not to the point where it will leak out. i'm thinking it may be related to a filter in the resevoir. i've also tried different fluids-no change. is there a filter in the resevoir?

If its getting airated its most likely a crappy rebuid. The pump halves are grooved up most likely.

No filter in the reservoir that I know of.

There are two things that cause this. Sucking air or restricted pump feed. If there are no visual leaks, the pump is starving. Something is blocking the feed.

Stick an extension magnet down to the bottom of the reservoir by the outlets, mine had a magnet laying there to catch stuff and it was blocking the ports with crud. Anyone know if this is OEM/normal? :confused:

You could jack up the front end so front tires are off the ground. Make sure reservoir is full. Start engine, turn wheels lock to lock, back and forth (slowly, no need to rush). Re-check fluid level, if low, refill and re-do turning. Let idle about ten minutes, occasionally turning wheels and then go drive it normally in a neighborhood where you can can do a bunch of turns both ways for about ten minutes. Let it sit awhile, then see what you got.
If still whining, I'd say the pump wasn't rebuilt very well.
Side note: some Ford rebuilt pumps would have a sticker on them saying they would whine for awhile and not to worry about it.:eek:

If none of these suggestions work, take the feed line off the pump. There is a small hole in the middle of that connection on the pump side. Stick a skinny allen wrench in there and see if you can push the valve up and down. If it feels solid, that valve is stuck. You will then have to remove the nut (7/8 socket I think) and take the valve and spring out and clean it and lube it up with some ps fluid and reinstall.

If it is stuck then this may not help it much as the pump may already be burnt up from running it.

thanks for all the input! i started by looking for a magnet at the bottom of the power steering resevoir. there is one and it definitely looks factory. it is mounted to the side of the exit tube to the pump. there was quite a bit of crud but not enough to block the flow. one thing i stumbled on was the fitting that secures the low pressure hose from the power steering box was only hand tight. i tried tightening it but still saw a small amount of fluid leak after running the vehicle. i plan on replacing the o ring then retesting. from everthing i have read, this is a likely cause. i should get to it friday and will update you all then. thanx again

i had a friend that had this problem
i work at a gm dealer so i got him the updated res.
replaced it bled system and never looked back!!!

the res he had...with the car running looked like a toilet flushing...lots of fluid moving around
then new one keeps the fluid much less agitated

-dan

i had a friend that had this problem
i work at a gm dealer so i got him the updated res.
replaced it bled system and never looked back!!!

the res he had...with the car running looked like a toilet flushing...lots of fluid moving around
then new one keeps the fluid much less agitated

-dan

The reservoir is discontinued. How long ago did you get it for your friend?

i was finally able to roadtest it after securing the connections on the return line from the box to the resevior. i cant believe it but that was it. i guess the leak was just enough to allow the system to suck air after a 15 minute drive. thanx for the suggestions and hopefully this will save some other poor slob some time.