Need help failed twice in Northwest Indiana

Black Sunshine

Slacker
Hi I can't seem to pass the Hydrocarbon part of emissions for some reason. Our standard here is 1.40 The first time I took the test I had the Hi Flow cat converter from Poston put on my car that barely has 500 miles on it. I failed with a 2.74 hydrocarbon reading. Wishing a easy fix would help I put a stock thermostat in instead of the 160 degree one that is usually in my car. Took the test today and the reading jumped up to 4.76 wtf!?! :eek: My EGR valve is only a few years old. I have the heated o2 sensor kit which is probably 4-5 years old. I don't drive the car a whole lot so it would be hard for me to believe it would be those things. I do have a small exhaust leak coming from the gasket area where the downpipe meets the turbo. Would that have anything to do with it even though I passed a couple years back with that same leak? I also just replaced the exhaust system with a Hooker one a couple years back. Anyone have any ideas? How about that guaranteed to pass stuff they sell out of a bottle? Are those even safe in our cars? Thanks in advance for any help. Really hoping I don't have to go to a shop cause I'm a bit strapped for cash. :(

has it ever passed with the 42.5's? Is this a dyno test or 2 speed idle? Make sure your fuel pressure is correct for the chip. Check for vac leaks and check your integrater and Block learn values, should be 128+/- a couple. Check your plugs and wires, these will usually raise the CO but a couple misfires will saturate the cat and foul up the rate of storage and catalization. If you have room in the NOx reading you can bump up the chip to one of the settings with more advanced timing.

Yes it has passed with those injectors. It is dyno tested. Only leak I can find is the one where the downpipe meets the turbo, but I passed before with that same leak. The INT and BL read in the correct range on my scanmaster. I had it on stock setting when I tested the Nox was only 1.67 out of a standard of 3. The CO was 3.7 out of a standard of 20. What about those emission pass mix or Fuel injector cleaner are those worth a shot?

The NOx indicates the EGR is working if there isn't infact a mixture problem. I'm pretty sure those elixers are alcohol based and they count on using alcohol to lean things out (-HC) and cool things down (-NOx). I've heard mixed results concerning their effectiveness.
The exhaust leak could potentially throw off the gas mix in the converter not allowing it to "light off" correctly. It's been several years since I had to deal with this- a little rusty.
Has it ever passed with the cat converter you are using now?(just saw 500mile deal, N M) A shade tree check of the cat', make sure the pipe downstream of the cat' is HOTTER than the upstream, best to use an infrared temp scanner. You can sometimes tell by just looking at it or putting your hand near the pipes and cat. There should be a chemical reaction "burning" in the cat under normal load conditions. That cat' may be too big or the wrong type.
I fixed an HC problem in a fine running M5 BMW w/ a new set of plugs-make sure your ignition system is up to snuff and while your at it you can assess the mixture with a plug reading after some moderate driving.
O2 sensors can get scewed bias, especially if you've been running leaded fuel.

Check if your ECT is reading a logical temp for conditions.

Don't run the car hard to 'clear it out' on the way to the test center.

Yea last time I passed emissions was 06 with that Cat on and I took it off right away after passing so 500 miles is probably a over estimation. I don't have any of those tools except for the scanmaster. I think I'm gonna try those elixirs if that fails then I think I may try the Turbotweak emissions chip. The ignition system is good. Just changed the pack, module, pugs, and wires last summer.

I put that G2P elixer in my car. I got impatient and tried testing it after burning a half tank instead of the full tank and failed Hydrocarbons by freakin .2 . I ordered that TT chip last week. Just waiting for it to come in the mail. Should def pass next time... hopefully

Well got the TT emissions chip put in and now I did worse than ever before!! :mad: Got freaking 5.3 Hydrocarbons!! However the guy that put the chip in did not disconnect the battery. He disconnected the main board under the passenger kick panel and put the chip in that way. When first starting the car the instructions said the service light was going to flash or something, but I did not see it. The car drove fine and no codes showed up so I assumed it was in good running order. I didn't turn down the Fuel psi cause someone on this board said it wasn't necessary. I drove the car for a good 40 min to get the car to learn the ECM before I took the test. This headache almost makes me want to sell this thing. :(

If the battery wasn't disconected you may have damaged the puter or chip and it may run in limp mode. Hook up the scanmaster and see what the puter is doing. Spiking the puter that way is NOT good.

What should I be looking for on the scanmaster? I looked at the BLM earlier today and it was 148 at Idle. The car drives decent. There are no codes. Here's what he said when I asked him about unplugging the battery.

"Maybe it could be bad, but I dont think your car would run w/o the computer functioning. When I unhooked the box it has a fuseable link behind it to kill the power, so it should have been ok, thats weird it was .2 b4 and now its way out of wack."

Make sure that all the data is being updated and not set a specific value. When the puter goes into limp mode the data is at a set parameter and doesn't change a whole bunch.

I suspect that your heated 02 sensor may be one of your problems, I never use them they can fail & you wont have any codes. Replace it with a stock one. H.C failure is a misfire.How old are plug wires , Ohm out the coil pack, should read between 1250 to 1350 ohms, platinum or other than stock plugs can cause misfires. In one case I had an aluminum radiator with dual fans causing engine to run too cold. Make sure thermostat is operating properly at least a 180. Is the engine worn out, A sloppy timing chain,leaky valves,blowby past rings isnt helpful . Does the engine feel smooth, A simple vacuum gauge can be useful if interpreted properly. Vacuum leaks not good & sometimes hard to find, As indicated BLMS out of range or high IAC readings can provide clues. removing screens out of MAF or aftermarket re manufactured units can be off on calibration.Lastly you passed before has anything been done since then to have changed anything. Good luck

Last resort dont sell the car!!!!Got any friends in mich? use thier addy and Plate ur car here (no emissions test)...

My bad I was just super frustrated when I posted about selling the car. It was more of a smart a$$ frustrated comment relating to how frustrating this is. My plates have been expired since 07! :( The car isn't going anywhere. I've had too much fun in the 6 years I've owned it. Anyways, I've heard mixed things about getting registered in another county. I don't have friends in Mich, but I'm pretty sure Lake and Porter counties are the only places in Indiana that require emissions. Isn't it a pain to register elsewhere? Don't you need proof of residence by having bills mailed or something? Seemed like too much of a hassle, but now I'm having 2nd thoughts about which one is the bigger hassle. heh :rolleyes: I am leaning toward replacing the O2 with the stock one. However, I'm still iffy about this chip. I could swear the BLM was in the high 120s and the car runs better with my Casper's chip. Just seems crazy that I fail by only .2 before the TT chip and after the TT chip I fail by 3.9!! Gonna check it out prob Thursday. Busy with school plus I wanted a small break before trying to tackle this again.

Oh yea and I don't think the CPU is in limp mode though. There seems like variation in the readings from what I remember when I drove it yesterday.

Did you change the Thermostat. Or did turbotweak not specify doing this.
These cars like heat.I am going for the emmisions chip. My car has5,100 Org miles. Checked and found I had a small vacumn leak. Now I have 20pnds. of vacumn.Also gas,fresh. Trying to help....HTH'ed..Rob

Yes I changed the thermostat to the stock one. I went ahead and got my Casper's chip put back in since I only failed by .2 last time I tested with that chip in. However I am too broke to drive both my cars so the GN is collecting dust till I find a better job. :(