Need help -Just Bought an 84 GN - Not running?

84GNTTOP

Hello all, new to the site.

I just bought an 84 GN (hot air) 2 weeks ago.

Car has been sitting for 20 years - Previous owner had trouble getting it running and parked it. According to him and receipts, he did the following:

1) Replaced CAT
2) Replaced Computer
3) Rebuilt Turbo
4) Installed New timing chain (could have caused issue with crank sensor or cam sensor - IMO).

Fast forward to me buying this car, I have done the following:

1) Dumped all the old gas, cleaned all lines up to fuel rail, and replaced the fuel filter. I installed a new gas tank, sending unit, fuel pump, all rubber fuel hoses, and fuel pump relay (getting fuel now).
2) Dumped and replaced all fluids (Motor, Tranny, Radiator, Rear Diff). I even installed a new oil switch.
3) Replaced spark plugs / wires and poured marvel oil in cylinders and spun crank by hand. Also replaced Air Filter, bought a new batter and checked all fuses.

Now that I have done my "spring cleaning", I am trying to get the car to run. (Car Cranks, but won't fire).
Initially, I was getting spark and it seemed like it wanted to fire, but now I have no spark.
I switched the spark plugs wires around 4 times (As there is a lot of conflicting info on the web). Need to confirm firing order on the coil pack, but I want to begin trouble shooting before I start mindlessly buying new parts. One thing to note: I found a fusible link (20 Amp) by the wiper motor (red) that has been burned out or broken - not sure what that is. With all that being said, I want to start with the following:

Confirm Firing order / Spark plug location.
Start Trouble Shooting my no-spark condition, and take if from there. Any advice would be welcomed.

Thank you.

Coil pack wires with with module plug on right
1 3 5
2 4 6

Check for power at the coil pack plug. Both pink and blk wires should have 12vdc with key on.

Rick

Coil pack wires with with module plug on right
1 3 5
2 4 6

Check for power at the coil pack plug. Both pink and blk wires should have 12vdc with key on.

Rick

Thanks Rick... Yes, my module plug is on the right driver side. Thanks for clearing this up. I will check voltage on pink and black wires tonight.

Okay guys, here's what I got.

Re-configured my spark plug wires, as rick suggested above - we should be good there.

I just checked one of my injectors with a noid light ($20. at O'Rileys), so I don't have any injector pulse. I still don't have spark either.

My harness going into the coil is kind of dis-colored and hard to see, but It looks like the 2 wires closest to the fan (font of car) are the 2 pink/black wires. I check voltage on both with key on. I'm getting 12 volts, so I think I'm good there. Also, I noticed that the 3-way conector (assuming for crank sensor) had been spliced as evident from photo below which ties into coil harness.

Please let me know your thoughts on next steps or potential solutions. Thanks again.

Attachments

• COIL HARNESS_IMG_1196.jpg
    COIL HARNESS_IMG_1196.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 122
Per another no start post, for no spark you should check the crank sensor, ignition module and fuses...ECM-IGN and CCCI. I always like to check the easy things first so I'd start with the fuses and then maybe take a look at that spliced wiring.

Per another no start post, for no spark you should check the crank sensor, ignition module and fuses...ECM-IGN and CCCI. I always like to check the easy things first so I'd start with the fuses and then maybe take a look at that spliced wiring.

All fuses are good. I'm not sure how to check the Crank Sensor, or Ignition Module. ECM could be toast too... trying to troubleshoot these things as logically as possible.

Post up where you are located, and maybe some generous soul nearby with more turbo regal experience then yourself can lend a helping hand.
You never know.

Its most likely the crank sensor and its a pain in the ass to find. Its specific to the 84/85 LM-9 so the 86/87 LC-2 sensor won't work. Cam sensor is the same though for both cars.

I'm close but not that close. If I lived in rancho I would swing by.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Here is a quick check for the ecm--when you turn the ignition switch to on position--do you see the check engine light on dash come on? If you see the light--the ecm has at least power and is on--if it allows the injectors to fire is another matter. My bet is to see if you have power at the crank sensor since you have no spark nor injector pulse. The ignition module looks a little crusty too--have you checked what's in between the coils and module? If the module is toast it may be the culprit. Dp

anytime you see spliced up wires you are in for a frustrating trip. I'd back probe at each sensor for 12v within the connector. Your problem is in the wiring, I almost guarantee it. Trace all those wires that are spliced and get the conduit off. It stinks, but to say I have been there and done that is an understatement. Until you chase the wires and find the short or open, you will be replacing parts, and throwing money down the drain.

Its most likely the crank sensor and its a pain in the ass to find. Its specific to the 84/85 LM-9 so the 86/87 LC-2 sensor won't work. Cam sensor is the same though for both cars.

Thanks Shawn- Per another member, I can upgrade to the 87 crank sensor with a pigtail and bracket, both of which are available at O'Rileys. I was planning on swapping that out and reconnecting the spliced wires after verifying the circuit with a schematic using water proof butt connectors and heat shrink.

Here is a quick check for the ecm--when you turn the ignition switch to on position--do you see the check engine light on dash come on? If you see the light--the ecm has at least power and is on--if it allows the injectors to fire is another matter. My bet is to see if you have power at the crank sensor since you have no spark nor injector pulse. The ignition module looks a little crusty too--have you checked what's in between the coils and module? If the module is toast it may be the culprit. Dp[/QUOT

To Recap - This is where my Troubleshooting is leading.

THE GOOD
1) Check Engine light comes on when key is on (ECM - might be functional).
2) Fuel Pump is working, and I am getting fuel up to the fuel rail (New gas tank, fuel pump, sending unit, relay, rubber hoses).
3) All fuses are good
4) I have voltage (12v) at the coil via the 2 pink/black wires on left side of plug (Ignition Module - might be functional)
5) All spark plug wires have been switched to correct location on coil pack (Plug on right side). 1 3 5
2 4 6
THE BAD
6) No spark - had spark initially while trying to crank and swapping plug wires.
7) No injector pulse - just bought kit last night to check.
8) Found spliced wires coming of coil pack to 3-way plug which may lead to crank sensor (Need to validate circuit - looking for schematic).

Based on 6, 7, 8 (THE BAD), I'm inclined to believe it might be the crank sensor which, I will be upgrading to the 87. I will also evaluate the wiring while I'm there. How about my cam sensor? How can I validate that it is good?

Is that the correct plug orientation? If 84 is different than 87 ok. Mine I am pretty sure is 153 on rear, 426 on front. 1-4,5-2,3-6 are paired on each coil tower for sure.

coil pack got a good ground?

I have re-arranged the spark plug wires on the coil pack - Thanks turboburick.... How can I ensure that I have good ground to the coil pack? Also, I bought a new crank sensor and harness for an 87, so I will need to know how to wire this up to my 84, if anybody knows. I will be reviewing schematics too (Crank sensor is special order from O'Rileys and takes 5-7 days to receive). I will going through wiring until then... Thanks for all the help guys...