Need help picking out a turbo

seanzcars

Im in need of some help.. Been reading some threads and was looking for some input.. Right now my 87 GN has champion ported steel heads..6o lb injectors..walbro pump.. houston downpipe with duals... turbo tweak chip from eric...was on alky now on E85. have a Precision 9.5 lockup converter with a 3200-3400 stall rebuilt at Jimmys trans in IL.- I did buy car with trans done. Paperwork says"2004R to 2004 RSS with diff clutchs for 3RD and 4TH"... with my setup with a T49 @ 23 boost.. my best 1/4 with alky was a 12.3 @ 108mph.. always seemed like my car after 1/8 lost power.. 1/8 in 7.8 @ 87 mph.. 60 foot 1.7... I was doing those times with stock heads.. then I blew a head gasket... soo I did the champion steel heads.. E85 setup and also did bowling green intercooler.. BFG drag radials-car lauched better on street tires.. always brake boosted at 4 pounds of boost with each setup-always started in 2nd gear.. soo with that TE44... I did best of 12.8 @ 108 mph with boost at 20 and 1/8 at 8.2 @ 87 mph 60 ft at 2.09... once again seems like after 1/8 I loose power.. My trap speeds with either setup always 107-109mph in 1/4.... The one time I hit 110mph was day I blew head gasket...Blew head gasket on alky not E85...

I would like to do a set up on 93 octane.. Going back to stock intercooler and street tires.. What would you recommend for a turbo? what boost? I would like to keep it safe/reliable and take to the strip here and there.. Be nice to hit 11s but low 12s be ok.. More concerned on not blowing stuff up.. Also after I did E85 I did do plugs ofcource.. I would sure appreciate any help you could give...

There are some fast cars/members up there. I take it you go to Union Grove? I would keep working with what you have until you get it to the Low 11's. It takes a different technique to get these cars down the track and put up good times. You can achieve this with alky or E85, however on just 93...good luck. I wouldn't ever advise you to tun more than 16psi on just 93. I am not to far away from the Grove. About an hour or so. I will let you know if i plan to go there soon. So to answer your original question I really like the Precision 6262 but until you work out all your issues don't buy a turbo because you will not see any improvement.

i went 1.58 on the 60ft with the bfg drag radials on a stock motor and a ta49,cant see how a regular street tire would hook better.your combo has been all over the place,my advise would be to get the car running clean on 93 and low boost then add the alky and have someone tune it for you.the car is not going to go low 12's high 11's on just 93 so you will need the alky or use race gas.put the bgc intercooler back on with the 44/49.if you want to tackle the tuning yourself a wideband and powerlogger should be used,pulling plugs,monitoring fuel pressure as well.

thanks for all the help btw! right now I have no turbo... T44 had shaft play so sold it to bison...
I always started in 2nd gear and brake boost round 4psi.. Always had best 60s that way.. How are you guys lauching?

Why do you start in 2nd?

thanks for all the help btw! right now I have no turbo... T44 had shaft play so sold it to bison...
I always started in 2nd gear and brake boost round 4psi.. Always had best 60s that way.. How are you guys lauching?​

There are some fast cars/members up there. I take it you go to Union Grove? I would keep working with what you have until you get it to the Low 11's. It takes a different technique to get these cars down the track and put up good times. You can achieve this with alky or E85, however on just 93...good luck. I wouldn't ever advise you to tun more than 16psi on just 93. I am not to far away from the Grove. About an hour or so. I will let you know if i plan to go there soon. So to answer your original question I really like the Precision 6262 but until you work out all your issues don't buy a turbo because you will not see any improvement.
Yes I do grove on Weds nights... Hate Alky! Would rather stay E85 or 50/50 mix race gas/93... Like I said have to get a turbo sold the 44 to bison-had shaft play...

i went 1.58 on the 60ft with the bfg drag radials on a stock motor and a ta49,cant see how a regular street tire would hook better.your combo has been all over the place,my advise would be to get the car running clean on 93 and low boost then add the alky and have someone tune it for you.the car is not going to go low 12's high 11's on just 93 so you will need the alky or use race gas.put the bgc intercooler back on with the 44/49.if you want to tackle the tuning yourself a wideband and powerlogger should be used,pulling plugs,monitoring fuel pressure as well.
I did do everything in steps... When i went to bgc intercooler I saw no gains in 1/4... And yes I dont get it but I actually would do 1.7-1.8s consistent with 60s on streets... I go to bfgs drags and cant do better than 2s.. wtf lol.. Thanks for help.. First GN still trying to learn... Have always had chevelles-T/As and Z28s..
After blowing head gasket on alky I went E85 and added a scanmaster and knock guage...

OK, I would pick either the 5858 billet unit or the 6262 billet unit both from Precision. Cover of choice is the SP, meaning 4"inlet and 2.5" outlet with a ported shroud. .63 exhaust housing. Non ball bearing. I would do the E85 and bring it to the track with the drag radials. Is your converter a single or multi-disk? When are you planing to go to the grove? I believe its free next week to get some rubber down.

I've found that 16#'s of boost is about all I can run on 92 octane. When I run 17#'s I have KR about 50% of the time.

Without adding race gas or alky that's going to be your limiting factor.

~JM~

OK, I would pick either the 5858 billet unit or the 6262 billet unit both from Precision. Cover of choice is the SP, meaning 4"inlet and 2.5" outlet with a ported shroud. .63 exhaust housing. Non ball bearing. I would do the E85 and bring it to the track with the drag radials. Is your converter a single or multi-disk? When are you planing to go to the grove? I believe its free next week to get some rubber down.
Cant right now.. Still havent ordered a turbo.. I have a GN with no turbo in it..lol.. sold the T44 to bison had shaft play.. Want to order turbo soon but want to make the right decision.. I would appreciate meeting up there could use some help tuning it.. Do u have a power logger tool? Thanks!

Cant right now.. Still havent ordered a turbo.. I have a GN with no turbo in it..lol.. sold the T44 to bison had shaft play.. Want to order turbo soon but want to make the right decision.. I would appreciate meeting up there could use some help tuning it.. Do u have a power logger tool? Thanks!

not sure bout converter.. have paperwork from jimmys trans.. car came with trans done.. super bad handwriting on paperwork so hard to tell if single or multi.. does have 3200-3400 stall with 9.5 lockup converer

I've found that 16#'s of boost is about all I can run on 92 octane. When I run 17#'s I have KR about 50% of the time.

Without adding race gas or alky that's going to be your limiting factor.

~JM~
Whats your setup? what type of timeslips u have?