Need help, powerlogger files attached.

Ok,
I came home today and went through the wide band connections. I decided to weld a new exhaust bung in at 36inches because after reviewing the instructions it seems I may have placed the wide band o2 too close to the turbo. The wide band connections all seem solid as well as the ground.

I am now getting a code 42 ses light..... so do I need coil packs?

I did 2 more runs.... I hope these are better.... there was way less knock.
first is at 10psi with no alky
second is 15 psi with the alky set at 4

I am happy to take more advice if anyone wants to look at the logs......

Attachments

• LogFilejuly 10.dat
    74.9 KB · Views: 63
  • LogFilejuly10a.dat
    81.8 KB · Views: 66
you need to fix the wierd spikes on the RPM trace.

all the other data is suspect until you do.

B

What could be causing the spikes in the rpm trace? I can go through my wiring and grounds again but I am not an expert. What could be the cause?

Did you check connections like mentioned earlier?

Trace the positive battery cable all the way to the starter. Specifically around the headers. Make sure it's not burned through and contacting the pipes.

You better make sure your fuel pressure regulator is working and fuel pressure is rising.

Rick

Fuel pressure is rising on wot pulls for sure. I have a mechanical guage under the wiper to verify. It will rise from 39 psi to 49 psi at wot. I can check the starter and the positive pole tonight. What else affects the rpm signal to the powerlogger??

So tonight after my work shift I got home and:

Tightened positive at starter (it was a little loose, but not much)
Checked all fire wall grounds (changed one of the ground bolts)
Rpm tach wire was tied into the harness under the hood with an old spade clip, i decided to solder and shrink wrap it.
Cleared code 42, did not come back, so intermittent, checked harness at ecu. But I still need to diagnose that.
I opened up the Maf box and verified the micro switches at on, on, on, off
The Maf adjustment screws were set to add some base and wot fuel so I zeroed them out.

I Got ready to log a run to see what the rpm's looked like at 10 psi with no alky however Microsoft update screwed me again as when I opened my laptop in the car it instantly started updating..... So no log .... Probably tomorrow.

Question: since I am getting an rpm spike, is there a certain wire I should look to going into the ecu, from the harness?

More logs:

The first run up to 10 psi was fine..... no spike in the rpm's.... the second p to 15psi shows knock AND an rpm spike. I don't know where to look next to get rid of this rpm issue..... ideas? It seems over 10 psi I am getting this issue.......(code 42 didn't come back under wot pulls)

Is it possible for false knock to cause rpm spikes?

Attachments

• runfile july112013.dat
    84.8 KB · Views: 56
  • july 112013 cel 4&8 change.dat
    76.9 KB · Views: 55
I located a bracket that is on the steering column making direct contact with one of the runners off the drivers side header. I am going to take care of that and see if it eliminated some of the knock.

I am also going to clean the main two wire harness' from the ecu to the car with electronics cleaner.

I re-built the shifter linkage and the arm that attaches to the column, so the header and exhaust are free of any metal objects. I am still getting an occasional rpm spike. Code 42 is long gone though, I have done several wot pulls and it hasnt come back. This was after redoing and checking all the grounds and cleaning the connection to the ecu.

So how do I trace the rpm signal.... where does it start ..... if i assume it ends at the ecu and powerlogger. ????? I need to start tracing this issue back. It seems my BLM numbers are where they should be.... or at least close enough for a tune. But this rpm thing needs fixing.

the RPM signal comes from the crank sensor. so the balancer is important (gotta be tight, keyway in good condition)

crank sensor signal ------------> ignition module (under the coilpack) -------> ECM.

The ECM calculates RPM based on the time in between the crank reference pulses, and the PL reads the data from the ECM's memory.

Bob

****************UPDATE*********************
Ok, so I finally figured out the rpm spike and the breaking up over 10psi, turns out the coil packs and the module were on their way out. Replaced them and did a few runs. I am still getting some knock middle of third gear at 15psi, right now I am using alky on the low settings, 6 on the razor controler. I am thinking of taking the car in to get dyno tuned, according to my run am I close enough to do that or is there something glaringly wrong ???......

Attachments

• new coil alky 6 jul 22.dat
    45.4 KB · Views: 61
Another Update: I was not happy with my wide band readings as they seemed erratic so I replaced the sensor and did another full pull. I guess Im unsure as to why Im getting a small amount of knock in third when my wb is reading mid 10's.

Same question as before: Im thinking of getting the car professionally tunned, are my logs looking like I have overcome all of the obvious issues and I am within reach of someone cleaning this up for me? I dont want to spend a bunch of money at a dyno shop if there is something holding the car back from being fine tuned.

Latest log attached: (Alky on at 5.5)

Attachments

• july27 full pull new o2.dat
    77.9 KB · Views: 61
I see a couple things.
It's on the lean side most of the time. Your MAF reading is not hitting 255 at full boost, which it should be with your setup. At 15-16psi, its only at 235 gr/sec. The wideband correction is not even turned on at that level. I would open up the Translator box and confirm the settings are correct. If so, then increase WOT knob, which will get the airflow reading up higher and hopefully hit 255 at full boost.
Also, on average, your knock seems to start around 4500rpm. Usually when I see that, it may be engine/valvetrain noise (but not always).

Sounds good thanks for the advice. I know that the WOT setting on my MAF translator is zero'd out right now. Ill turn it up to 10% rich and see if I can get the MAF reading up. Ill post some new runs up after I adjust the MAF.

I turned up the maf 10% and I am now hitting 256 gps at wot.... does that seem right? This maf has failed previously and I got it working again with electronics cleaner. Here are 2 more logs, I still get small amounts of knock in third gear...... opinions?

Attachments

• july 28.dat
    75.4 KB · Views: 61
  • july 28 part 2.dat
    52.8 KB · Views: 60
The MAF signal looks better.
But still knock as soon as you hit 4500rpm. To me, it looks like false knock caused by some type of engine noise. You might need to look into valve springs, or rocker adjustment, etc. Just throwing ideas out there.