Need help w/ turbo selection...

Jayz 87G.N.

Im looking to buy a new turbo for my car only im not sure what im looking for. Id like to find out what is the best turbo for my combo in you guys' eyes. I know very little of turbo buicks and even less about turbos, so please remember that in your replies. My car has a small cam,206/206@.050 and .438/.438 lift. The car has 42.5# injectors, ported stock heads w/ larger valves, 3.73 gears, 2800 stall, 3" exhaust and a larger fuel pump. Everything else is stock. This is going to be a street driver and weekend racer, im not sure if that means much in turbo selection. Any and all help is greatly appreciated...Thanx Jay

Im by all means not a pro, but just someone who tries to keep up with all the threads and input that goes through them, and try to learn from it.

But i have 009s or 42.5# inj also with just about all the bolt on goodies there are, except for a few which are in the near future. I have a converter shop converter with 2800 stall or so, and i run my car mainly on the street. I have no engine work done except the valve springs replaced. I can tell you i run a te-44 and that thing spools like a mother. This is a great turbo for the street and starts to pump all its worth at around 20# and up. I can tell you while cruising at 30-40 miles an hour and then smash my foot down to the floor, all hell i mean the rear tires break like you wouldnt believe into second gear going into third :eek: any way some guys might tell you to go bigger like the 50 series or maybe even the 60s but for the street and what you have listed the 44 will probably be real impressive. Hope this helps

Jay, I have a similar combo to yours and I'm running a T-65 from Cottons Performance. It's an awesome turbo! It's a big wheel turbo that spools like a stocker. Give Jack a call and see what he recommends 413-789-0531

Jacob

thanx guys

If you dont mind me asking, what do each of you run/believe it runs? And will these turbos bolt up no prob?

I think you first have to ask yourself will you be doing any tranny work and possibly changing out the torque converter for a higher stall unit?

If so prolly a 60 series and 3.2K stall would work.

If not prolly the 44, 49, 51 would work for you.

What boost are you running now? What do you plan to run on the street and at the track?

In the work stage

Originally posted by salvageV6
I think you first have to ask yourself will you be doing any tranny work and possibly changing out the torque converter for a higher stall unit?

If so prolly a 60 series and 3.2K stall would work.

If not prolly the 44, 49, 51 would work for you.

What boost are you running now? What do you plan to run on the street and at the track?
The car is up in the air on jacks, and the engine and tranny are out. I bought the car non-running and i am rebuilding it. Im ordering a 2800 stall as that is what is continually recomended to me, but im not against changing it. No im not planning on working on the tranny other than maybe adding a brake to it... not sure if thats wise or not any more. I have never owned a turbo buick or even an automatic for that matter. Im not sure what to expect to run w/ it, my area has less than 5 turbo buicks that i know of so i cant ask to many locals.Thanx again!!!!

What part of texas do you live in?

What are your ET goals for the car? Since the motor is out & you are planning a converter upgrade anyways I would recommend going with something a bit higher than 2800. I run a 3200 rpm 9/11" on my car with a te-61 turbo & the street manners are GREAT. Can't tell the stall is even there unless I stand on the gas hard and spoolup is even faster than stock.

Doug C.

Edit= Oh yeah BTW, what tires are you planning to run with that 3.73 gear? These cars really like the stock 3.42 DEEP into the 11's!!!

I live in odesaa... a barren wasteland...lol.

Originally posted by dconnor
What part of texas do you live in?

What are your ET goals for the car? Since the motor is out & you are planning a converter upgrade anyways I would recommend going with something a bit higher than 2800. I run a 3200 rpm 9/11" on my car with a te-61 turbo & the street manners are GREAT. Can't tell the stall is even there unless I stand on the gas hard and spoolup is even faster than stock.

Doug C.

Edit= Oh yeah BTW, what tires are you planning to run with that 3.73 gear? These cars really like the stock 3.42 DEEP into the 11's!!!
I dont really have a goal set for the car as far as ET, im not sure what to expect from it. If it runs a 12 itll bring a smile to my face, anything slower wont bug me either. But if it goes faster hey great! Im not sure what tire i should run, the 373s were in the car when i bought it. What does your car run w/ that te-61 and that 3200 stall? What do you think of the trans brake?

11.4's@119.5 is the average so far on a CPP street chip, xylene homebrew & ~22lbs of boost. I'm running the stock 3.42 gear, moser 28 spline axles & 28-10.5-15" slicks as well.

I have the Stage Right t-brake on my car but haven't used it too much yet. Can launch at whatever boost level strikes your fancy (I've done a couple at 17~18 so far) but you'd better be sure the trans has been beefed up to take that kinda abuse before attempting it! Mine is a Mike Kurtz built unit (Century Transmission) which is here in the Houston area.

Still didn't see ya say what part of Texas you are in! ;)

You'll want a 28" tire on that car to keep it in the engine's powerband through the 1/4 & may have to step up to a 29" once you hit the mid 11's or so. These little 6's are low end torque monsters esp on a near stock combo & like to stay down below 5400 rpm or so.

Doug C.

I just switched from PT51 to a TE60. It pulls harder on top end and even spools faster then 51 ever did.
Alex

Thanx for all the helpful info on the turbo. Im in odessa tx... west side of the state. Do you think it might be wise to back the gear down to the 3.42? What rpm would you recomend i shift at?
Originally posted by dconnor
11.4's@119.5 is the average so far on a CPP street chip, xylene homebrew & ~22lbs of boost. I'm running the stock 3.42 gear, moser 28 spline axles & 28-10.5-15" slicks as well.

I have the Stage Right t-brake on my car but haven't used it too much yet. Can launch at whatever boost level strikes your fancy (I've done a couple at 17~18 so far) but you'd better be sure the trans has been beefed up to take that kinda abuse before attempting it! Mine is a Mike Kurtz built unit (Century Transmission) which is here in the Houston area.

Still didn't see ya say what part of Texas you are in! ;)

You'll want a 28" tire on that car to keep it in the engine's powerband through the 1/4 & may have to step up to a 29" once you hit the mid 11's or so. These little 6's are low end torque monsters esp on a near stock combo & like to stay down below 5400 rpm or so.

Doug C.